Clash of the Titans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clash of the Titans Reviews

August 12, 2016
2016-08-12 slow pace, shows its age
June 15, 2016
It's the music, the pace is slow and it's classic Harryhausen. More nostalgic than anything.
May 24, 2016
Consider good special effects from legendary Ray Harryhausen. This movie go on a slow and steady tempo. Zeus (Laurence Olivier) tell Poseidon (Jack Gwillim) to unleash Kraken to kill and destroy the city and people who banish his Earth wife and child Perseus after find out the affair. 20 years passed Perseus (Harry Hamlin) is a fine young man. Calibos the son of Thetis (Maggie Smith) did many bad deeds and is suppose to marry Andromeda (Judi Bowker) who is really beautiful. Zeus punish him turn into hideous form and banish to the swamp. Every night he will summon her dream soul and give her riddles for any man who want to marry her. Perseus who met Ammon (Burgess Meredith) and receive Godly weapons use the invisible helmet to follow her. Next day he solve the riddle and present the chopped hand of Calibos. They were to marry when Thetis statue cracked and she give them 30 days to sacrifice the virgin Andromeda to Kraken or else everyone and the city will be destroy. Calibos abduct Pegasus the flying horse. Perseus and a few brave men venture out to find 3 blind witch who are wise and can tell them how to defeat Kraken. Perseus took their only seeing eye and they say Medusa can defeat Kraken. Zeus order another weapon for Perseus when his helmet is lost in the fight with Calibos and mech owl Bubo is send to assist. Perseus defeat Medusa with wits and bravery and cut her head. Calibos summon scorpions to fight the gang and Perseus killed him for good. Bubo freed Pegasus. He reach in time to defeat Kraken with Medusa head and save Andromeda.
½ May 8, 2016
Today is a bit dated, but still one of a few mythological movies of the time and enjoyable
½ March 28, 2016
I loved this film and it is one of my favorite films of all-time despite the bad effects.
March 18, 2016
Harryhausen's effects look good to me....the green screen effects...not so much. Probably could have looked better with a bigger budget. Being a real attempt at the fantasy genre, its probably lucky to have got the budget it did. Overall a enjoyable fantasy flick with a odd amount of nudity...I guess PG13 wasn't invented yet.
February 25, 2016
Campy fun in your interested in the Greek mythos, but the visual effects are very obnoxious.
½ February 10, 2016
The great creature effects in this film are assisted by welcome adventurous performances from both Harry Hamlin and Burgess Meredith.
January 11, 2016
This is a good, albeit sometimes clumsy, movie adaptation of the Greek myth of Perseus.
December 28, 2015
I'm not really sure this is actually a four star film due to childhood nostalgia clouding my ability to objectively review this film, but I certainly got four stars worth of entertainment out of this Ray Harryhausen retelling of a number of Greek myths. Unlike most of Harryhausen's pictures, this one boasts a stellar cast, which inlaces Laurence Olivier, Harry Hamlin, Claire Bloom, Maggie Smith, Ursula Andress, and Burgess Meredith. This film also seemed to feature more stop motion than did most of his film, which his always the main attraction of Harryhausen Productions, which makes me feel that Harryhausen ended his career on a definite high note.
December 23, 2015
And so the hero marches forward to find a mystical treasure and defeat a great evil save the most beautiful woman in the land. That's essentially the heroic fantasy narrative that is so common that it's become part of the public's perception on fantasy in general. One could make the argument that this sort of thing is redundant, but this film is sort of a guilty pleasure for me. Sure, I usually prefer more original and more high-brow fantasy fare, but I can't really object to this film, and there's a part of me that wants to take it for what it is, if mainly because this was the last film featuring old-fashioned animation from the legendary Ray Harryhausen. The premise of the film is based loosely on Greek mythology, specifically on the myth of Perseus slaying Medusa, one of the more popularly remembered of all Greek myths. In terms of narrative, it's quite predictable. The hero is always this strapping young lad selected by the gods above, and his primary motivation seems to be a typical damsel in distress. Of course, what more can I expect? Back in the time this film was made, producers didn't know how to interpret mythology as any other kind of film. That being said, it's not entirely bad. In fact, I could make the argument that when you watch the film, you pretty much know what you're expecting. Then again, I've always been a sucker for fantasy of all kinds, and there are particularly memorable moments from the film that I still enjoy. I also suppose that the acting isn't too bad, though there aren't a lot of likeable or memorable characters to speak of. Fittingly enough, only the gods of Olympus give particularly good performances in the whole film, while the main protagonist comes across as an unrelatable knight in shining armour at best, and a privileged jerk at worst. The acting often comes across as a little hammy, but it's not too heavy-handed. If I thought it was, I wouldn't even consider watching it again. Even if the film is a little wooden in terms of plot and characters, it definitely succeeds in terms of presentation, despite the somewhat outdated swords-and-sandals approach the film seems to be recalling. The film's exotic set pieces definitely convey the setting, and who could forget the creature effects, courtesy of the inimitable Ray Harryhausen. Of course, by the time the film was released, contemporary advances in special effects would have rendered Harryhausen's techniques obsolete, but had the creatures been designed with computer effects, this film might have been completely boring because it would have just been another CGI film. There's always a kind of charm that stop motion animation has which the computers can't recreate no matter how hard we try today. If anything, this film is an example of how old-fashioned techniques can still be effective. The film itself is a bit silly and occasionally veers towards camp, but it's the little things that give this film its merits as decent entertainment.
½ November 19, 2015
Its old but it's gold and still wonderful to watch.
October 21, 2015
Really enjoyed it! A lot better than the remake without a doubt.

That robot owl was freaking awesome :D
½ July 16, 2015
Oh wow! Jodi Bowker was hot/beautiful! Harry Hamlin was a pretty good Perseus, and still enjoy watching him till this day.
It's a great tribute to the special effects wizard himself Ray Harryhausen, and still find enjoyment in it! Sure, it ain't a perfect take on Greek mythology, (the kraken was supposed to be a squid), but scenes like medusas lair really delivered with the tension!
½ April 10, 2015
This is old school throwback schlock if ever there were any.
February 24, 2015
I've enjoyed this classic ever since it came out. All types of good creatures to battle or befriend in this Greek-inspired flick.
February 22, 2015
loved it since I was a kid. never gets old. remember seeing it at the drive in when I was little.
January 20, 2015
Aùn recuerdo que me impactò cuando la vì en los ochentas por primera vez, una historia que necesita un buen remake.Aùn no vi la versiòn de Louis Leterrier.
½ January 9, 2015
The only thing that this film has got going for is the monsters but to be truthful they are not that great to look at