Cronos Reviews

• Oct 30, 2019

simple but touching, one of the greatest grandpa and grandchildren story

simple but touching, one of the greatest grandpa and grandchildren story

• Oct 28, 2019

4.25 I only speak a little Spanish, so I only understood half of it watching it online while followings a wikipedia summary. I admire Guillermo's signature touch here, even if it's to a minimal.

• Oct 14, 2019

I was eagerly waiting for the story to erupt, which didn't happen. Weak climax.

I was eagerly waiting for the story to erupt, which didn't happen. Weak climax.

• Oct 06, 2019

Guillermo del Toro's first full lenght feature, done about 25 years ago. Some old antiques dealer picks up an old piece with some serious spooky history. People are after it, really scary people, but he keeps it for himself. Well, the thing turn him into something else, and this bloodthirsty thing has still plenty of his true self. Cool and original story. It looks OK, and while the blood looks really good, the rest of the make up stuff are so-so. It's not a scary flick, it's charming and soft, but has some freaky scenes. Vivid imagination works a few times here, but in total it seem a bit half hearted and it does not entertain you, scare you or interest you much. As a debut you might say it's all right, but I believed this masterful director had a way stronger first film. 3.5 out of 10 licks.

• Mar 09, 2019

A nice take on mythology.

A nice take on mythology.

• Jan 31, 2019

One of the only vampire films that I've seen where you back the vampire. If eternal life was at the cost of other lives, it would never be worth it. I love the character of Jesus Gris, because he cares deeply for his family and even though he has an addiction to blood he would rather die than hurt his family with it. I think this film was especially powerful because the main character is a family man who doesn't give into his appetites just because he has them. He couldn't care less about the length of his life either, which is something even I struggle with being more selfless about. The music is awesome throughout the movie and the acting is really good too. My wife brought up a good point about the film that I want to remember. Sometimes horrible things just happen to people, and it's important to be able to shoulder on despite them. The ending was surprisingly emotional for me.

• Jan 27, 2019

The film is a joke on Dracula. It has original ideas but it is another Dracula story. Jesus Gris that comes back to life is joke enough. Still watchable.

• Dec 18, 2018

Tal vez la mejor película de culto mexicana.

Tal vez la mejor película de culto mexicana.

• Oct 21, 2018

This felt like a horror movie for a child, aside from the scenes with blood in it. It's definitely not scary and contains very little tension until act 3. The acting is great from the main actors. I'm not a big fan of Guillermo del Toro's movies because I feel they all have a child like appeal to them.

• Oct 07, 2018

Horror stories involving the subject of immortality often feel somber. The plot of this film isn't at the forefront as much as the characters are. In this story, the person who's cursed with this is an elderly, antique dealer who accidentally obtains it upon fiddling with an antique statue. After he continues to experience conflict with a dying businessman who's been trying to obtain it for many years, it seems unlikely that the movie will have a happy ending despite what the viewer hopes for. This worrying thought remains at the heart of this film. In addition, the visuals were gorgeous to look at as they were reminiscent of 60's Hammer Horror. The issue here is that Aurora feels too much like a noncharacter, in contrast to Jesus, Dieter, and Angel. A few people argued that Del Toro's intention was to approach the horror/fantasy world from a child's perspective, but I think this concept was much better developed in Pan's Labyrinth where Ofelia was much more interesting. Still, this is a promising debut films which I'd easily recommend on the basis of the other 3 characters and the visuals.