Dark Places Reviews

• Oct 30, 2019

(No spoilers) What a disappointment. With such great source material (yes, I read the book), it's a shame that they've managed to ruin the out-of-left-field, switchback twistiness that is the hallmark of Gillian Flynn's novels. Perhaps it's because they didn't have her pen the screenplay. They cut things that simultaneously cut the heart out of the ending and they rearranged things to save time, which drastically, unfortunately lessened the suspense. Not smart for a thriller. The cast is pretty great, but Charlize Theron was just the wrong actor to play Libby. She's good, but she's a gorgeous Amazon, and Libby's runty-ness is very symbolic. She's also supposed to share Ben and her mother's red hair? Why did they change these great details?? The few saviours were Christina Hendricks who was absolutely amazing as the desperate Patty and Chloë Grace Moretz as Diondra - just cracked out and crazy enough with a realistic touch of scared, dumb teenager.

• Oct 20, 2019

I loved this film. It cleverly took you down a murder mystery in two timelines that will have you guessing the entire time. The ending twist, the cast, the music, and the direction all seemed very well done. Come to expect anything Gillian Flynn related to be great.

• May 14, 2019

Some achievement - grinding a tense and gripping novel into the most mediocre movie ever made. Like watching a caterpillar turning into a dung beetle.

• Dec 21, 2018

Aside from Theron, I can't tell if it's horrible acting or horrible directing, so I'm settling on both.

• Sep 13, 2018

Right after I finished the book I watched the movie. It wasn’t horrible it did just jump right to the plot and skipped a bunch of detail. I do understand that books will always be better than movies. I do give props to Charlize Theron she is one of my favorite actresses. (Mad Max) 👍🏽

• Sep 08, 2018

Not nearly as bad as the ratings.

Not nearly as bad as the ratings.

• Aug 07, 2018

I've read the book and I feel like this movie was doomed by the terrible miscast of Charlize Theron as Libby Day. In the books, Libby is portrayed as a depressed grifter who has no potential to support herself except through monetizing interest in her family's brutal murder. Even in a baseball cap and a loose T-shirt, tall, blonde, slender Theron still looks like a glamorous model, not a hardscrabble, working-class Midwesterner. Her body language, her mannerisms, everything was off for the character she was trying to portray. The rest of the cast did better, but the script burned through plot way too quickly. Too bad, because the book was good and the twist was well developed but not explained adequately in the film adaptation.

• Aug 06, 2018

I don't understand all the dark reviews. I liked this movie, and it's twisting plot.

• Aug 05, 2018

At this point, I consider myself a big fan of Gillian Flynn. I loved the movie version of "Gone Girl" and I enjoyed reading "Sharp Objects." I decided to go into "Dark Places" without any real knowledge of the story and ultimately, its the weakest story of the three. There is definitely a chance the book tells the story better, but I would not know this as I have not read it. Looking at the movie as a movie, I thought it was okay. The mystery presented is certainly interesting, but it isn't always executed in that way. Segments of the movie feel like a drag and sometimes the story feels like it comes to a halt. I will say I was surprised by the outcome and that's always a good thing in a movie like this. Overall, it's not as impressive as the other stories the author has delivered, but I think it is still worth checking out if you are a fan of hers.

• Jun 07, 2018