Def by Temptation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Def by Temptation Reviews

½ February 25, 2018
RUBBISH ! I note that IMDb member "babygraceblue" rated this film 10/10, titling his/her review "Def By Temptation: High Caliber Horror". Hmmm... yet another very suspicious rating, and when I checked the member's record, I find he/she has reviewed only TWO movies in 17 years! So is the person a cast or crew member, or a friend or relative? That sort of review is plain ridiculous and does a disservice to the IMDb, imho.
This "blaxploitation" movie is not worthy of being called a movie ~ do the people playing the characters actually consider themselves actors? Really? They come across as hideous caricatures. Another lamentably bad joke. Melba Moore's "guest appearance" was probably the highlight of this motion picture.
The sex scenes are asinine and embarrassing, disgusting, in awful taste, made me cringe.
This picture is a painful, amateurish attempt at movie-making, pitiful and despicable.
I honestly cannot think of one good point about this dreadful flick. Was it supposed to be a horror film? Well, it sure was horrible! AVOID it at all costs. I've seen, rated and reviewed thousands of movies over decades (horror is one of my favourite genres), and recommend running away from this horrible thing unless you want to punish yourself for some reason. 1/10.
August 11, 2014
A low budget horror movie produced and released by Troma. It's interesting since it's an early/mid 90s "New Black Cinema" take on a fairly classic horror scenarion. It's produced by, directed by, written by and starring James Bond III (no, really), who had appeared in Spike Lee's "School Daze", and features Samuel L. Jackson and Bill Nunn in supporting roles, and Ernest Dickerson is the cinematographer. Kadeem Hardison from "A Different World" co-stars. It's interesting ... but ultimately not very well-made. The plot starts out as a modern take on a vampire film ... with Cynthia Bond picking up men in a bar and killing them ... but morphs into a kind of "Exorcist" clone. There's a fairly serious and important religious aspect to the film, which is kind of refreshing, but ultimately, it's more interesting for it's novel approach than for any entertainment value.
½ October 31, 2012
An underrated movie directed by James Bond III that featured Kareem Hardison from A Different World; Bill Nunn from a number of Spike Lee joints, and Samuel L. Jackson it is about an urban succubus. It strikes a balance of fright and comedy it is another horror story that deals with gender issues.
February 17, 2012
So, So, SO much fun! If you're into and love the likes of 976-Evil, I can't recommend this enough. What a pleasant surprise.
July 16, 2011
Just plain awful movie.
April 27, 2011
A Highly styLized horror, considering that it comes from B-Movie factory Troma Studios. More known for their films with more over the top nudity and gore such as Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuke'em High. Director James Bond III and Cinematographer Ernest Dickenson really make this one their own.
March 17, 2011
What a brilliant and underrated vampire movie! this one has a succubus/vampire creature is in New York as she seeks men in bars, has sex with them and kills them even drains their blood, a out of town college student goes into the city to seek advice from an actor friend as they have a good time in the city to find that woman who wants him.

Good production values, gory violence with sex and good acting which is suprisingly good for a Troma movie and well done as it's a throwback to blaxploitation, highly recommended movie and it's got a good old school R&B soundtrack. Samuel L. Jackson stars as well.
February 8, 2011
A film so unbelievably bad that I was actually delighted when the DVD did nothing but jump for the last 10 minutes. That was unquestionably my favourite part because it stopped my attempts to figure out what the hell was going on with the plot. I didn't have to bother from that point on, so for that I am extremely grateful. Terrible.
½ February 6, 2011
HEY LOOK EVERYBODY, IT'S A FILM WITH SAMUEL L. JACKSON IN!!! Wait a sec, he's in it for about five minutes...

I can't give Def By Temptation a fresh score and if you watched the film you would understand why. I thought the story was quite good and I enjoyed the film, but it looks like they filmed this with a second hand nineteen sixties camera. Some of the effects are the worst I have ever seen, I have seen better in B-movies thirty or forty years older than this. Overall it was ok and I recommend you watch this just to laugh at some of the effects.
January 5, 2011
Terrible picture - give it a miss - it's like watching paint that believes itself to be entertaining dry.
½ November 9, 2010
One of the best..........Succubus, Samuel L as a preacher, Blood, great killing, its a blassic. Pure Troma Bmovie gold.
July 22, 2010
It's really scary at the end.
July 22, 2010
this is a classic vamp movie I forgot to add to my top 5 faves. This movie starring kadeem hardison, u know dwayne wayne from the cosby show spin-off, A different world is a creepy, and disturbing tale about the oldest story in history Good vs. Evil.
January 4, 2010
Apparently this was Samuel L. Jackson's debut in acting although you get to see him onscreen for like 5 minutes. Great flick. Acting is actually not bad. The lighting throughout is totally fantastic. Kadeem Hardison rules.
½ October 20, 2009
I can't say this is a bad or a good movie. Coming from Troma, it's probably the best film they ever made but the corniess factor is still there. I mean, Dwayne Wayne (Hardison) gets killed my a TV! I'm not kidding. A fun watch every now and then.
½ September 8, 2009
A high-quality film from the good folks at Troma. a dark, unsettling, and amazing urban vampire film, more sexy than "Twilight" or crap like that. The special effects were outstanding, making this the most "must-see" film of Troma capacity.
½ August 28, 2009
Rarely does Troma release a "high-quality" movie. That's a big surprise! Every time, we get the puzzled feeling of their reputation in bringing us the best of the worst. DEF BY TEMPTATION is an exception, however, so it's no big deal that Tromaville gets whatever their fans can chew on. Even with an all-black cast, it's a very well made flick on an independent level. The dark atmosphere is what really makes this hot and spicy. It has a style of its very own, a vampire horror opus that involves seduction, eroticism, and, murder. Noteworthy is Samuel L. Jackson as a priest, but for an early screen appearance, don't expect much. If you're used to those 70s blaxploitation horror classics, including ABBY or SUGAR HILL, then consider this to be a special alternative to those glory days, only in a more updated fashion. A rock-solid example of how to make a personal movie, ladies and gentlemen.