Defending Your Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Defending Your Life Reviews

November 4, 2017
an all time favorite.
September 28, 2017
Another entertaining Albert Brooks movie. Funny, interesting, not great, but enjoyable.
½ August 11, 2017
I normally like Albert Brooks and this movie was pleasant, but without his usual zip. Not his best, despite a wonderful cast, and I was very very disappointed that there was not much of a part for Buck Henry.
June 17, 2017
This amazing after-life story really makes you think.
April 27, 2017
If I'm flipping through channels and this film appears on my screen, time stops. And I would play this film on repeat if I could. Albert Brooks sweetly ushers us into the afterlife. We're all curious. And through the wonderful characters he surrounds us with who all have an affect on a looming fate, we are only left to cheer on the one thing we can all attempt to do well: Live life!
April 14, 2017
Not Albert Brooks' funniest film, but makes up for it with a wonderful performance from Streep and a deeply satisfying ending. One of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen.
½ January 5, 2017
not bad, interesting idea
August 31, 2016
Albert Brooks comedy about an afterlife in which you must defend the actions of your life, and the results of this pseudo-trial will decide whether you get reincarnated on Earth, or get to move forward to the next stage of existence. I like Brooks low-key sense of humor, and I like the concepts he builds up here...it is funny with a heart, and creates a very amusing world.
August 4, 2016
Silly and cute even if it is completely dated and totally not how the afterlife is going to be at all.
½ July 28, 2016
I had forgotten about this movie till I saw it on my Netflix list. It was a favorite of mine growing up.
June 29, 2016
Apart from one really funny scene and some nice conceptual ideas about heaven the film feels slightly tedious and the laughs are somewhat sparse. 97% score is ridiculous. It's half the film MODERN ROMANCE is.
February 14, 2016
Be brave!!! (or else)
November 27, 2015
I like movies like where I can't exactly explain why I liked it so much. The 2 hours just flew by.
½ October 9, 2015
Brooks, Los Angeles' Woody Allen, has in "Defending Your Life" one of his most thought-provoking and unique concepts. Driven by strong ideals, a clear vision and solid performances, the film fails, however, to reach the quality of some of the filmmaker's best endeavors - such as Modern Romance or Lost in America. There's a thinness to an otherwise complex subject and despite a plot that moves briskly but some scenes lag and a lot of jokes don't land.
August 21, 2015
In it's brilliant simplicity this may be one of the enduring best movies I've ever seen.
July 25, 2015
Brilliant that's all.
June 21, 2015
An amusing romantic comedy whereby in the after-life a man has to defend the choices he made in his life.
½ May 17, 2015
a nice little movie, I would like more of this type of movie.
½ April 1, 2015
Best comedy of the year is smart,funny and well acted tour de force from Brooks.
March 25, 2015
A great movie about life choices and being fearless.