Defending Your Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Defending Your Life Reviews

August 31, 2016
Albert Brooks comedy about an afterlife in which you must defend the actions of your life, and the results of this pseudo-trial will decide whether you get reincarnated on Earth, or get to move forward to the next stage of existence. I like Brooks low-key sense of humor, and I like the concepts he builds up here...it is funny with a heart, and creates a very amusing world.
August 4, 2016
Silly and cute even if it is completely dated and totally not how the afterlife is going to be at all.
½ July 28, 2016
I had forgotten about this movie till I saw it on my Netflix list. It was a favorite of mine growing up.
June 29, 2016
Apart from one really funny scene and some nice conceptual ideas about heaven the film feels slightly tedious and the laughs are somewhat sparse. 97% score is ridiculous. It's half the film MODERN ROMANCE is.
February 14, 2016
Be brave!!! (or else)
November 27, 2015
I like movies like where I can't exactly explain why I liked it so much. The 2 hours just flew by.
½ October 9, 2015
Brooks, Los Angeles' Woody Allen, has in "Defending Your Life" one of his most thought-provoking and unique concepts. Driven by strong ideals, a clear vision and solid performances, the film fails, however, to reach the quality of some of the filmmaker's best endeavors - such as Modern Romance or Lost in America. There's a thinness to an otherwise complex subject and despite a plot that moves briskly but some scenes lag and a lot of jokes don't land.
August 21, 2015
In it's brilliant simplicity this may be one of the enduring best movies I've ever seen.
July 25, 2015
Brilliant that's all.
June 21, 2015
An amusing romantic comedy whereby in the after-life a man has to defend the choices he made in his life.
½ May 17, 2015
a nice little movie, I would like more of this type of movie.
½ April 1, 2015
Best comedy of the year is smart,funny and well acted tour de force from Brooks.
March 25, 2015
A great movie about life choices and being fearless.
½ November 7, 2014
It's not often you come across a movie that takes a completely unique look at life after death. This movie, though, shows the world of Judgement City as a very Earth-like place where people reside while their life is reviewed and they either "move on" or go back to Earth to try again. It's one of those movies with a rather high concept, but presented in a very simple way. It's nice that they focus in on fear as the one element that holds humanity back from reaching their goals, and Albert Brooks is the perfect actor to portray the type of guy who would have a lot of trouble passing a fear trial. They do a superb job of defining this world, and the rules by which it is governed. The food is one of the biggest things they focus on, and it makes sense that most people would be particularly delighted to reach a place where you can eat as much as you want and every bite is the most amazing you've ever tasted. The constant riding around in tourist trams is also fun and makes it clear that Judgement City is merely a way-station not a destination.

As I mentioned, Albert Brooks is perfect for the role, obviously because he wrote it for himself. I liked the few moments he wrote in that allowed him to make wisecracks, because that added a few good laughs. I wish there was more of this, though. I kept waiting for a scene of Albert really ranting about the injustice of the trial, or something. Meryl Streep needs no mention, she is lovely and she does a great job of portraying someone who has basically conquered the fear of life and is just enjoying her afterlife. Some of the most impressive work was put in by Rip Torn because he felt human, but at the same time kind of alien. I loved that character and never understood his disappearance in one scene (other than as an opportunity for added anxiety and jokes from Albert Brooks.) By the end I thought Defending Your Life was a very sweet movie, that gave me enough laughs and plenty of smiles. While the whole concept is a little silly to me, I like what it's trying to say about the ways that people waste their lives. It's one I can recommend for most people if you've never seen it, and if you have seen it feel free to revisit because it still holds up.
October 17, 2014
Probably my favorite movie of all times! Not only a clever look at life after death but really funny with a lot of heart and great meaning! Thanks Albert..!
October 3, 2014
Predictable but so, so lovely. Brilliant concept and world.
August 17, 2014
All you can eat and not gain a pound....wouldn't that be great.
½ August 14, 2014
There are some weak moments, but those are out-weighed by Meryl Streep's delightful performance and the sweet but clever story by Brooks.
August 8, 2014
This is my favorite comedy of all time, because it is not only hilarious, but also extremely insightful into the nature of humanity. Albert Brooks is especially brilliant in his role, and Meryl Streep is not too bad, either! I love Rip Torn's role as his 'lawyer', he is better in this than he is in Men In Black.
I have watched this movie a dozen times, which is something I rarely do, and I still laugh out loud during parts of it. HIGHLY recommended!
August 7, 2014