Destroyer Reviews

• 1d ago

One of the worst films I've ever seen.

One of the worst films I've ever seen.

• 4d ago

Pure grit. Nicole Kidman is is great!

Pure grit. Nicole Kidman is is great!

• 6d ago

Moves slow but looks good. Tells a very basic story.

Moves slow but looks good. Tells a very basic story.

• 6d ago

Slow and unrewarding. Very distracting makeup. Bad costume design (specifically Silas's hair and clothes). Overuse of slow motion throughout. A lot of scenes that do not further the story so they are there only to serve the purpose of making the film drag on.

• May 09, 2019

Nice movie and amazing performance by Nicole Kidman, i think she deserves an Oscar nomination at least in her role in ''Destroyer''. Her acting and her zombie makeup make you truly feel how is she suffering from her past, she lives deeply into her role to give us that amazing performance. The writers used flashback and flash forward style in the movie, which was nice and give the audience more suspense during the movie. Also the shifting between these two timeline was perfect and smooth which make you comfort and not confused in the movie, so you can figure out easily what's going on. The only thing that i didn't feel it in the movie is the undercover operation. honestly i think no need for undercover operation!!! i didn't feel there was a really dangerous gang, they look like a normal people. i think they had to show more about how this gang is dangerous and how the infiltration is difficult.

• May 08, 2019

One last case. This is about an LAPD detective (Nicole Kidman). She is barely keeping it together between alcoholism and a poor family life, but when a lead on a cold case she previously worked comes up out of the blue, she digs deep and finds inspiration anew. Now I was pretty interested in this one, but missed it in theaters. It was clear as day that this is one of those transformative performances that you only see once or twice a year, and you only need to look as far as the poster to see that. That said, award season came and went, and nobody was really talking about this at the end of the day. I think this is a perfectly serviceable film, albeit a derivative one. Now I do think Nicole Kidman is a beautiful woman (I'm pretty sure that Moulin Rouge put hair on my chest), and I can see how this could be a role that every actor yearns for; it goes against type, and audiences have the potential to remember it because it is such a far cry from everything else that you've done in your past. My main issue with this movie is that this does not feel like this is strong female writing, this feels like a woman cast in a man's role with a single scene added to remind you that no, she's a woman. It's a female director (Karyn Kusama) behind the camera, but it is two male writers, which really doesn't surprise me. It ended up being a pretty big flaw for me, and because of it, I felt like they just took a gorgeous woman and gritted her up with sandpaper for no other reason than to make her look different. I don't think that this character is all that deep, and while this did start strong, the longer it went on, the less invested I became. It may seem like I am coming down hard on this, and perhaps I am; I was genuinely excited to see what they would do with this. I think all of the individual scenes are good for the most part, but I did find that it became repetitive, as this is just a lot of door knocking until she finds the right guy. I actually think that this would have worked much better as a miniseries; that way, you can really give this character more depth and a better background story, possibly winding up with something like season 3 of True Detective. I don't think that this is bad at all, but if this were a man in this role, I think it would just be next to forgettable.

• May 07, 2019

Destroyer (2 out of 5 stars). Destroyer shows that Nicole Kidman can deliver a gritty performance that not only shows she can act but her transformation of the role. Not only is she looking very aged and worn down while playing a character that is an undercover detective. Still suffering from an undercover bank job gone wrong that leaves her motivated to go after any gangster she sees. However, the film's direction is all over the place and uneven. The plot is boring. The crime procedural drama is dull and the characters are uninteresting. The plot follows Erin (Nicole Kidman) an undercover detective that is suffering from a bank job that did not go as planned when she was with her partner Chris (Sebastian Stan). When she is trying to trace a stolen bill to track down one of the gang leaders Silas (Toby Kebbell). It is a slow and boring plot that is quite forgettable. Erin is a worn down character. Looking like she has not slept in forever and drunk all the time. She is motivated to take down Silas. While trying to keep her teenage daughter out of trouble. Which she is hanging in bars with her boyfriend. The direction is all over the place. The movie flashes from present to the past as its telling Erin's undercover story. There is a twist that does not leave the audience at all surprised. Overall, Destroyer is a bad film. Nicole Kidman delivers a gritty performance. The movie itself is a boredom with its crime story, an uneven direction, and the characters are forgettable.

• May 06, 2019

Outstanding acting! Sloe but worth the wait.

Outstanding acting! Sloe but worth the wait.

• May 06, 2019

Destroyer is a slow burner that only flares up towards the finale. Kidman, however, is fire throughout. The plot tends to act as if it is something new, but we've definitely been here before. Not bad, but it won't destroy any genre barriers.

• May 05, 2019

Gritty, grim, and violent drama. Nicole Kidman gives a mesmerizing and daring performance as a police detective looking to avenge her mistakes which led to tragic consequences while she was an undercover cop. Not for the faint of heart.