Escape Plan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Escape Plan Reviews

May 16, 2018
Never lives up to (low) expectations but nice to see the old foes together

If you compare it to Lock-up, Stallone's previous prison movie that was hilariously stupid, this film is the opposite and takes itself too seriously. It is watchable and Stallone and Schwarzenegger play off each other well to please fans...but, it looks cheap, the plot is flimsy along with the payoff.
Looks and feels like a cable movie.
½ April 11, 2018
impressive set pieces and a modestly clever plot elucidate its ambitions for what essentially can be seen as a vehicle for a stallone-schwarzenegger partnership, in which it is fruitful. 'escape plan' lags a little in the second half, apparently running out of devices, but it broadly remains a fascinating prison breakout film. few could consider it half-baked.
½ March 31, 2018
Let the mind go and enjoy this movie for what it is. Stallone and Schwarzeneggar form an iconic duo against a competent villain in Jim Caviezel's Hobbes. Like all movies these two are in the small talk is cringy at best, but then again that is not the purpose for why you watched this movie. The action isn't near Terminator and Rambo, but still entertaining. Stallone and Schwarzenegger take on a different role in being brainy in addition to their usual tough guy personas.
½ March 2, 2018
At last these two titans of the action film gender meet in a most entertaining movie. Rambo meets Terminator! And if you are keen to action films this will not disappoint you because it's charged with action practically from the first scene. With a quite complex plot in its structure, this movie takes you to an environment where our heroes require sharp thinking, quick, elaborated and many times courageous moves with the strategy of a master chess player in thinking and the skills of a samurai on the plentiful action scenes. I was delighted with the structure of the story where many diverse and apparently unknown elements come together to make the intricate plot so that both Sylvester and Arnold can develop their precious capacity in to the full and entertain us with what they can do best without an empty or boring moment. As extra positive bonus we have the likes of Jim Caviezel who delivers an astounding performance as the main villain of the film impersonated as a cold, calculating, cynical and bloody serious prison director and last but not least Sam Neill as the subdued prison doctor. We also enjoy the excellent performances of Vincent D'Onofrio as a treacherous and misleading agent, Faran Tahir as the religious prisoner and Amy Ryan as Stallone's sexy companion and colleague. This is top entertainment and you will be happy that your money was invested in seeing and enjoying this film.
January 20, 2018
Escape Plan never explores its good premise and is utterly predictable, though Stallone, Schwarzenegger and cool set pieces make it watchable.
½ January 8, 2018
Very predictable at times, and not very realistic... but fun for kids nonetheless.
January 1, 2018
I like these two "old" guys working together. :-)
½ December 28, 2017
2 old men trying to scrape together their last pennies prior to begging for change
½ September 7, 2017
Not bad for old cheese mixed in with some colourful language.
September 4, 2017
Just plain ridiculous and the fun only lasts for a good 20 minutes. I love these kind of throwback to trashy 90s action films but only when they're inexplicably gratuitous and not a tedious plot-filled piece of nonsense.
September 3, 2017
Not quite as fun as Arnie & Sly's team-ups in 'The Expendables', but still good to watch them being semi-serious in an action/shoot-em-up. There's some kid of plot - Caviezel runs an inescapable prison and Stallone was framed and sent there. Schwarzenegger then befriends him & helps him escape. Could have been a little tighter - 90min maybe - but was still enjoyable enough for what it is.
½ August 17, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, is this really a Sylvester Stallone movie? Could this be Rocky 47?

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) No, it s an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, he did promise he d be back.

SCOTT: We meet Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) who makes a good living by pretending to be an inmate in maximum security prisons and then breaking out of them, thus exposing their weaknesses. Breslin is offered his toughest assignment yet -- he is to be inserted into a top-secret prison, whereabouts unknown, into which the world s worst formidable terrorists and criminals disappear. His two allies in his business (Amy Ryan and 50 Cent) are wary of this assignment but his business partner (Vincent DOnofrio) encourages him to take it. Breslin accepts the job.

GREG: Breslin is no sooner in this new prison than he learns he is intended to stay. The extraction codes that he was given don t work. And the man who is supposed to be the warden is not there. All seems lost when he befriends Rottmayer ( Arnold Schwarzenegger ) who is a bit of a kingpin among the inmates. Together, they begin a plot to escape the apparently inescapable prison comprised of the worst of the worst.

SCOTT: Greg, this is one of those movies with a terrible trailer that had me dreading the idea of seeing this film. If the goal of the trailer was to lower my expectations to such a degree that the movie had to be a pleasant surprise, well, the plan worked. I enjoyed Escape Plan. Yes, it was a bit of a silly, unrealistic prison escape movie, which I ve seen a hundred times before, but it was also well-made. It was almost as if the trailer s function was to portray Stallone and Schwarzenegger as the near-caricatures that they are, has-beens who can barely utter a line without us wincing, and far too old to get away with any movie action more strenuous than rocking in a rocking chair. But I have to admit, the movie worked and Sly and Arnold performed just fine, thank you very much.

GREG: I was less impressed. This film was working on two levels. On one level it s an unbelievable though enjoyable action film. On the other, it is attempting to lay out the dangers of our penal system. The idea that Stallone is locked up in a prison that contains people too dangerous to be trusted to standard prisons and who are incarcerated without due process mimics the Guantanamo Bay scenario. On top of that is the fact that this new prison is run by a contracted third party is reminiscent of recent problems with states who turn their prisons over to private corporations. These corporations have minimum occupancy requirements built into their contracts. Escape Plan is definitely taking a swipe at these prison systems while entertaining us with some mindless action and one-liners. Whether they are successful or not I leave to the viewer.

SCOTT: For me, the movie works because Stallone as an actor has perfected the idea that, for him at least, less is more. He displays an appealing kind of minimalism in his delivery of lines that effectively portrays Breslin s quiet confidence as a character. You could also call it a subtle charisma. We re also witness to some very cool insights about how prison breakouts occur. Breslin s job requires a certain genius that is fascinating to watch. The pacing of the movie is excellent; there were very few slow spots but not too much headache-inducing action, either. Lately we ve seen a lot of movies that are stories of survival Gravity and Captain Phillips come to mind. And now we have Escape Plan, another movie that involves a hero escaping from horrible circumstances more than achieving anything that could be construed as heroic in the classic sense. A true hero story involves selfless action involving self-sacrifice. So I m not convinced that these are genuine hero tales that we ve been seeing lately.

GREG: Scott, therein lies another problem I have with this movie. Who are the heroes? Breslin is clearly an innocent victim, but he seeks help from inmates of this prison who are in for crimes that are never disclosed. Breslin has to befriend them to get assistance to get out. How heroic is it to spring evil-doers? And, at the risk of spoiling a plot point, one of the inmates Breslin befriends is an unlikely hero. Breslin makes a deal with a muslim inmate Javed (Faran Tahir) who in turn makes a deal with the warren for time outside the prison so that he can make his prayers to Allah. In the end Javed makes escape possible for Breslin and Rottmayer. Usually we see muslims portrayed as evil terrorists with only selfish self-interest at heart. This is a pretty unusual turn for a muslim in an American film.

SCOTT: Escape Plan is indeed a good, entertaining, two-hour escape plan from reality. It s a fun romp, made especially enjoyable by seeing that Stallone and Schwarzenegger still have something to offer even at the autumn of their careers. There are no Oscar winners here. Just a solid movie from start to finish. Escape Plan easily earns its 3 Reels out of 5. The hero story is adequate but not nearly as strong as it could have been. Our hero Breslin does receive assistance and advice from several key characters, and there is a love interest, but I don t seen much in the way of character transformation. I give Breslin a mere 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: I was at first drawn to this Breslin character. Unlike other Sylvester Stallone characters, Breslin relies almost exclusively on his intellect, despite that fact that he is clearly physically capable. But in the end (as the trailers expose) there is plenty of gun violence that supports his actions. As an action / adventure this is passable fare. I wish that if Hollywood is going to make a political point that the producers would make a serious film to do so. Sugar-coating politically charged issues with easy-to-watch teasers smacks of propaganda. I give Escape Plan 2 out of 5 Reels for a typical action flick. Breslin works out as a pretty good hero, obtaining most of the Great Eight qualities you talk about in your books, Scott. However this is a dual-hero film with Rottmayer acting as the buddy. It s unclear by the end of the film where his alliances and motivations fall. I give the pair only 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:
July 7, 2017
Fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
June 18, 2017
Encontro de Titãs. Para indiscriminado amantes de filmes de ação, Escape Plan vai ser um enorme sucesso. Para o resto de nós, e só mas algo sem sentido nessa vida confusa. Não é justo ver Rocky e O Exterminador perdidos dentro de uma mesmo roteiro, e outra vez, assim como em filmes de ação a história nunca faz sentido, a história tem como objetivo a multidão Neanderthal.
May 3, 2017
Probably would have been better if it was made 30 years ago.
April 4, 2017
Mixing a whole lot of good a slightly lower amount of bad, Escape Plan is a big fun action movie as long as you don't think about it too much. Honestly, my only big complaint is that the finale feels like it was written with the book Action Cliches of the 80's (not a real book) sitting open. Besides that, the film boasts Stallone and Schwarzenegger who, while past their prime physically, both have enough acting talent to compensate. It also features them doing the two things I've always wanted to see them do; fight each other and work together. Combine that with a solid premise and well-written dialogue and you've got a fun popcorn film that doesn't need to make you think to entertain you.
½ March 23, 2017
Pretty good, I liked this one.
March 6, 2017
Sly and Arnie team up once more as they try to breakout of a prison that no one has escaped from. Vinnie Jones is in this as well. best to warn you.
February 27, 2017
An interesting concept, I thought... but it had difficulties figuring out what kind of movie it wanted to be- started out a bit of a police drama, then tried to be a thriller, and decided to finish as an action. The pace was a bit slow, and the plot a little tedious at times. Also wasn't very slick.
February 22, 2017
Purchased this movie on Blu-ray for cheap, not expecting much. My only expectation was to enjoy some over the top cheap action thrills.
Unfortunately for me, the movie couldn't even meet the lowest bar set.

Now honestly, there is no judgement on the acting. And as far as plot, as long as it makes sense and is cohesive, I'm okay with it. it's Slyvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, they're mostly known for brawn. So again, that should be easy to convey. but it isn't. Action scenes consist of shotty editing and quick cuts and everything in between feels slow and boring. it's not just a movie that's past its time, it's a movie that shouldn't have happened. Keeping these two powerhouse action icons limited to a prison is a mistake from the get go.

Final verdict I guess is to skip it. Action fans, Stallone fans, Schwarzenegger fans...I don't think anyone is going to walk away satisfied.