Final Destination - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Final Destination Reviews

August 19, 2017
I love the Final Destination series of films. I don't watch a lot of Horror films but I like Final Destination because it doesn't feel like horror, more like a thriller or a dark drama. It's a very clever concept: the idea that you can escape death but it will come back to get you, and that Death has a pattern. Of course we probably watch these films just to see in what grizzly ways the characters are going to die.
August 10, 2017
One of the most shocking and unforgettable thrillers of all time!
½ August 7, 2017
Brilliant in plot and scares, Final Destination finds it's seat with Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the Thirteenth.
July 11, 2017
It may not be certified as a classic in horror cinema but Final Destination is an original story with very clever deaths and riveting performances
½ July 7, 2017
The dialogue is terrible, but it's fun mousetrap murder with a good base mythology.
½ July 4, 2017
'FINAL DESTINATION' was directed by James Wong and stars Devon Sawa, Ali Larter and Kerr Smith. ?After a student(Devon Sawa) visions the plane he's about to board explode, he throws a fit and gets him and a group of his friends kicked of the flight. Second into the air, the plane explodes. All seems fine but when the survivors begin getting knocked off one by one, they must band together to discover the truth.

Don't watch this movie if you're looking for a genuinely frightening and scary experience - you WILL be disappointed. This movie is more comedic than anything. I laughed so much more than I felt frightened. Now I think about it, I wasn't frightened at all. I wasn't even disturbed by the deaths. It was all just kind of dull. Watch this movie if you're drinking with friends because you will have a laugh, just don't watch it if you're looking for a horror movie.

I really like the gimmick of this movie. It's pretty interesting and I would love to see it be explored more, with a different cast and director. The actual story itself was very poorly written. Character's are stupid and this makes it very hard to care about them. A lot of the things that happen in this movie make no sense and the deaths itself contain no logic behind them. I understand they tried to excuse it but there should still be logic and setup to each kill to justify it. Maybe even include red herrings; keep the viewer guessing. Another flaw with the deaths is how generic and boring they are. Needless gore and violence is the one thing I would remove from movies today if I could; it's sick and never works. That said, I would have actually liked to see more creativity and thought put into the deaths. Keep it comic violence and make the movie a full blown comedy; that'd be fun.

The only performance in this movie that wasn't completely robotic and forgettable was Kristen Cloke as Valerie Lewton. Even that performance was just barely passable. The rest of the acting was pathetic. Devon Sawa was shocking, Ali Larter was abysmal, Kerr Smith tried but failed - no one impressed me and only one person barely escaped my scold. Every movie like this were the cast are getting picked off one by one needs to include likable characters to make me want them to live or an interesting antagonist to make the deaths interesting. This movie succeeds at neither. The characters are dull, bland and forgettable, and the antagonist(I won't spoil it) doesn't appear for the entirety of the movie. This lack of good characters makes me actively dislike the characters and means I don't care if they die which means I have lesser interest in the movie.

This movie hit the trifecta of trashy cinematography. It was badly lit, shot and edited. Nothing in this movie is technically proficient. The effects are also atrocious. I don't care if it was made in the year 2000, realistic dinosaurs were made in 1993.

This movie was not at all frightening(if anything, it was comedic). I laughed a lot in this movie due to the clichés and lack of genuinely frightening moments. There is a scene towards the end were I should have been on the edge of my seat but I was on the verge of crying with laughter. For what this movie is attempting to do, it fails. But for sheer entertainment value, I'll recommend this movie. Watch it with some friends. I'll rate it 3 Expert Getaway Strategies out of 10.
June 16, 2017
If your expecting super gore like they have in the 4 sequels, you won't get that. This film is great. It's suspenseful without being too violent. If you want to see the Final Destination films but don't like violence, check this one out. The acting was great in this film. The soundtrack was also chilling. Seann William Scott's death is my favorite out of all the ones in this film. If you like horror/thrillers, check this one out.

Rating: 8.2/10
½ June 11, 2017
A great story I love the concept. This movies idea alone is enough to make you love it. It may not have an outstanding cast but I promise you if you put Jake Gyllenhaal in this lead role people would love it even more.
Regardless I love this movie.
½ May 20, 2017
This film had a definitely inserting concept, that a group of teens who have "cheated" death after abruptly departing an airplane that ends up exploding upon takeoff, who then find themselves fighting for their lives as death stalks them in the form of a series of elaborate fatal and/or near fatal accidents and mishaps (ranging from seemingly simple bathroom slip and falls, to downed power lines, to elaborate car and train sequences). The film was written and directed by "X-Files" veterans Glen Morgan and James Wong, so from a technical standpoint, it's a well crafted film with excitement, suspense, and thrills. However, I'm not sure the film's premiss was enough to sustain a feature length film. It also doesn't help that the characters are not all that interesting, though it is kind of fun to see a young Ali Larter. Overall, this film this lacked story and characters to sustain itself, but the elaborate death sequences were interesting and suspenseful enough to hold my interest and make the film worth watching.
½ April 23, 2017
In an attempt to showcase death itself as the true antagonist of horror, unrealistic gore and uninspired, predictable plotting overwhelm the promising setup and thought-provoking message Final Destination has to offer, squandering an intriguing concept for a unique franchise as a result.
March 20, 2017
But if you don't die in the plane explosion -- doesn't that mean you weren't meant to die? Therefore Death won't be stalking you. Which in turn means this film is rather pointless
February 23, 2017
"A guilty pleasure for everyone to enjoy, not matter who you are."
½ February 2, 2017
3.5/5 A fun movie that kicks off a fun series. Devon Sawa is excellent, which can't be said for the rest of the cast. It's not scary at all, but it is tense and a lot of fun.
½ January 31, 2017
It's good horror movie
½ January 18, 2017
This movie can be a little predictable, but its great cast and the original story are enough to forget that. Final Destination tries to transmit the message that all of we have a destiny and that we can't escape to it, but this attempt to transmit the message is destroyed by its weak screenplay, because all of we know that the water won't follow a specific path on the floor escaping to the laws of physic. Interesting.
½ January 8, 2017
A horror movie with out horror and with bland as hell characters Final Destination is a pile of bull.
December 28, 2016
not a bad movie, but entertaining for reasons not entirely intended: it's not so much a horror/thriller as much as it's a dark comedy. seriously, the story is goofy, the setups chiché, and the actin only on par. on the other hand, if you go into this movie expecting a laugh, you probably won't get much out of it either. still, it's at least entertaining.
December 19, 2016
fun horror movie with some great scenes and a cool premise. there is some cheesiness and some random signs that seem irrelevant but still enjoyable. (about 3 viewings)
½ November 30, 2016
Glen Morgan and James Wong, two of the best X-Files writers, did a fantastic job in this excellent, clever and original teen horror movie that has an intriguing premise and knows how to build genuine tension, especially in the nerve-wracking sequence that opens it.
½ November 22, 2016
Eh it's okay, not bad not great. 2 and a half stars.