Fruitvale Station Reviews

• Sep 11, 2019

Not only a really powerful film with incredibly raw emotions, but a remarkable first film for Ryan Coogler. Michael B Jordan delivers a powerful performance by showing the humanity behind Oscar.

• Jul 09, 2019

A very powerful and memorable first feature from Ryan Coogler with magnificent performance by Michael B. Jordan and an ending so tragic, you'll be thinking about it days after you've seen the movie.

• Apr 21, 2019

Skillfully written, directed, shot, acted, & edited; takes you by the shoulder into the lead character’s life, showing both his good & his bad points, in a way that allows you to share in the journey along with him.

• Apr 19, 2019

a tragic and emotional story recommend it to everyone

a tragic and emotional story recommend it to everyone

• Feb 27, 2019

A gripping film thatâ(TM)s based on a true story.

A gripping film thatâ(TM)s based on a true story.

• Jan 09, 2019

One of the most heartbreaking movies I've ever seen. Michael B Jordan is a force in this movie and the direction of Coogler is masterful. It does everything it sets out to do. Perfect movie that I probably couldn't watch again if I tried.

• Jan 03, 2019

A touching tribute to the final days of Oscar Grant. Fruitvale Station (2013) is a masterpiece of human empathy and understanding. Ryan Coogler made a massive wave for his directorial debut in his tender and realistic portrayal of the last day that Oscar Grant lived. Coogler uses long panning shots of driving, trains departing and arriving, people running to captivate the audience with each moment. The close ups of faces in their homes feels so intimate like you are actually looking in on their everyday lives. Coogler's use of actual cell phone footage elevates Fruitvale Station not only a biopic of a day in the life of Oscar Grant, but also a fitting testament to the heinous murder of his life. Furthermore, Coogler also wrote Fruitvale Station. Coogler's wrote a beautiful script filled with modern slang, human fragility, terrible loss, relatable frustration, and infuriating injustice. The characters speak with a sense of urgency in the now. This is a truly contemporary film set right in Oakland. I also loved the fun hip hop score that sounds so refreshing to hear as a film score. Coogler gives us everything for an excellent film. Michael B. Jordan delivers perhaps his finest acting role ever in Fruitvale Station. He captures Oscar Grant's personality with a complex subtlety through his tear filled voice, furious yelling, and endearing facial acting. Jordan lends his talents into portraying Grant with a respectful realism. He depicts Grant as a conflicted man who loves his woman and daughter, while trying to better himself from his hardened past. His frustration and delight are all on display in Fruitvale Station. This film does the man's legacy justice. Melonie Diaz is outstanding as the tough and loving lady to Grant named Sophina. Her stalwart dedication to motherhood and what is best for her child is matched by her love for Grant. Diaz wonderfully shows Sophina's hurt and patience for Grant's lifestyle. I feel like their relationship on screen hits home in a very intimate and private way. Octavia Spencer similarly gives a truthful performance as Oscar's mother. Her pain for the loss of her son is awesome to witness Spencer portray, while heartbreaking to imagine the actual grief that Oscar's mother suffered. Spencer shows the strength of mothers much like Sophina's depiction. Fruitvale Station is a powerful image of the goodwill and the fortitude of women. Lastly, I must mention the brief, yet unforgettable, performance by Kevin Durand as the officer that subdues and helps murder Grant. His presence is palpable. I found myself scared while watching his acting. It is quite unnerving to witness Coogler's recreation of Grant's murder. All I can say is that Fruitvale Station is more an intimate experiment in recreating history with true to heart emotion and realistic depth of character. Ryan Coogler directed a brilliant drama for his debut.

• Nov 27, 2018

Gripping. And a wonderful piece of work!

Gripping. And a wonderful piece of work!

• Oct 29, 2018

A beautiful and harsh look at racial inequality. The beautifully shot film has set the standard for the rest of Ryan Coogler’s stunning career.

• Sep 24, 2018

Powerful film! Michael B. Jordan gives a brilliant performance! Ryan Coogler shows he's an intelligent and passionate filmmaker with his debut feature.