Ginger & Rosa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ginger & Rosa Reviews

½ August 22, 2016
A not-so-gentle character study of how two types of love can clash and thoroughly destroy lives more thoroughly than the political & militarily posturing of nations. The differing transformations of the young girls is not unexpected yet still elicits a strong response after a certain point. At real fault is the lone father; convincing himself that he is innocent because he is knows himself and stays true to his convictions. Actually he is a weak ponce with a large vocabulary and a slave to his libedo which pulls him to experience everything, all the while justifying himself through his philosophy of life. Consider him a psychopath with a yet-to-be-realized Cassanova complex. But then all older men merely seem sophisticated.

Always a pleasure to see Benning, Spall, or Platt being cast.
April 8, 2016
Coming of age movie about a teenager and her best friend, her self-important/selfish/immature father, her suffering mother, and how their respective choices make or break their relationships.
½ March 5, 2016
I am really stunned to see all the reviews from people praising Elle Fanning's performance. Wow. I thought she was completely unbelievable from her terrible fake English accent to her "naturalistic" twitchy movements. I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would use American actors to play British characters when there are so many fine actors in Britain. It just doesn't make any sense to me and must have something to do with the way the film was funded, e.g., by an American producer who wanted faces/names familiar to US audiences.

That said, I find it hard to believe that Elle Fanning has sufficient box office pull to justify it, and Annette Bening doesn't have a major role. Weird. For some people, a dodgy fake accent isn't that big of a distraction but as one who has lived back and forth between the UK and USA throughout my life, my ear is very attuned to the differences in intonation, diction, pronunciation that separate American-English and British-English, so I simply can't get past it. Plus, I find that most Americans seem to think that there is one British accent, the so-called Queen's English, when in fact there are dozens of regional accents and even within London there are accents specific to each borough. Most importantly of all, which kind of British accent one speaks with is still, to this day, a huge indicator of class, that dreadful holdover from ye olden times that everyone pretends doesn't exist anymore but still does. You can tell enormous amounts about a person in Britain just from the way they speak. But not in Ginger & Rosa. Fanning, and most of the other actors, speak in a generic (and not very convincing) type of Queen's English, which doesn't match the downtrodden living conditions they seem to be in. Without biographical details offered by the script itself, an observer would never be able to place any of the characters as coming from a particular background.

So I found Fanning's performance unbearable and I have to admit that I did not watch the entire film but started fast forwarding through about 12 minutes in to see if it ever got any better or anything happened at any point. Nope.

The 1 and a half stars are in consideration of the dreamy look of the film and in appreciation of the hot actor playing Ginger's dad.
August 23, 2015
Elle Fanning nos entrega una gran actuación en "Ginger & Rosa", una película de Sally Potter acerca de dos amigas adolescentes en el marco de la postguerra en Inglaterra. fanning interpreta a Ginger, una chica que sufre por la inminente destrucción nuclear y Alice Englert, la hija de la directora Jane Campion interpreta a Rosa, una chica más precoz que su amiga. Los secundarios, interpretados por Christina Hendricks, Annette Bening, Alessando Nivola, Oliver Platt y Timothy Spall, son de lo mejor. El tono de "Ginger & Rosa" es triste y melancólico y está cargada de simbolismos, pero es un trabajo delicado y sincero.
May 10, 2015
Enjoyed the movie. A bit slow in parts. Elle is quite good.
½ April 22, 2015
This should have been good, but somehow it didn't grab me. A stellar cast and lush BBC production values, written and directed by Sally Potter. I think it was those lush production values that spoiled it - 1962 wasn't High Definition. Somehow I wasn't convinced by the characters, although Christina Hendricks, Annette Bening and Timothy Spall were pretty good in their supporting roles. Ginger and Rosa were quite simply unbelievable. The critics loved it but I didn't.
February 5, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW....WOW....BRILLIANT.....AMAZING.....GENIUS.....FANTASTIC.....SO SO SO AMAZING......I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH.....its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that elle fanning, alessandro nivola, Christina Hendricks (From the brilliant tv series mad men), timothy spall, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a beautifully written/acted/directed movie 2 watch....its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie......

Ginger & Rosa shot at several locations in Kent including Dengemarsh Sound Mirrors, Lydd on Sea, Lade Beach, Greatstone, Lydd Ranges, Lydd and Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppey

Ginger & Rosa received generally positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 79% of 101 critics gave the film a good review, with an average rating of 6.7/10 and the consensus that "Elle Fanning gives a terrific performance in this powerful coming-of-age tale about a pair of teenage girls whose friendship is unnerved by the threat of nuclear war." Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score from 1 to 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, gave the film a 70 based on 24 critics indicating "generally favorable reviews." Swedish critic Pidde Andersson compared the film favourably to the films of Jean Rollin.

I think that elle fanning was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie....I think that this is such a touching movie 2 watch, it is such a beautifully directed/acted/written movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great soundtrack throughout this this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie.....
February 5, 2015
The mix of teenage angst, Marxist theory, nuclear war and sexual awakening was never going to be the most exhilarating of storylines, so it's probably best this film has a relatively short running time. What you get in that times though is a window on two suggestible girls growing up against the backdrop of a possible holocaust that's very much an emotional ride throughout with strong performances all round from a very good cast.
½ February 1, 2015
Ginger and Rosa is a film about friendship, there are a few other elements thrown in to confuse the audience, but ultimately it is about friendship. It is not perfect, in fact flawed in many aspects. The story is interesting and some characters are introduced to bring out the protagonist's feeling, which makes it ok, but they are a bit misplaced. The soundtrack is excellent in my opinion. You can't really dislike a film with good intention. This is one of them.
January 16, 2015
Good performances all around, but I didn't find the story particularly engrossing and found myself looking at my watch a lot.
½ November 9, 2014
Set in 1960s, Ginger and Rosa is the dramatic tale of two friends by birth, mainly depicting the events in their teen years, how the circumstances they encounter threaten to destroy their bond. The movie highly banks on the performances of Elle Fanning and Alice Englert and they did complete justification to their respective roles; the former completely dominating in the role of Ginger. Though there is not much story going behind, the screenplay and the performances keeps the movie engaging.
½ October 3, 2014
good movie thats very well done about 2 girls growing up post WW2. Some good performances and interesting subjects make this a worthwhile watch. Its a little artsy and ends a little melodramatically. this is one of the few times i have seen a filmmaker make England look beautiful.
½ September 28, 2014
you don't watch a movie just because of the performance, fiction movie is supposed to come with a story that can follow the dramatic logic of the plot. the main problem is the lack of the correct characterization. characters remain on the surface and the writer loses the chance to draw a deep well defined character, also the writers interest to judge the society makes the characters weak and passive.
September 18, 2014
Amazing performance by the young Fanning and a gorgeous soundtrack made this one worth a viewing.
½ August 5, 2014
Yeah yeah, off-putting direction, bla bla, good final act, who cares. Can we just talk about what an incredible actress Elle Fanning is? Let's pray that when the big roles and salaries come knocking, she won't follow in the footsteps of earlier teen actresses and squander her immense talent.
August 3, 2014
Has Elle Fanning surpassed her older sister in her acting chops? Dakota has definitely persisted as such a raw young talent, but I firmly believe Elle takes the hat in this movie. One of the best acting I've seen from a young actress. One of the best acting I've ever seen from any actress. The plot per se isn't too incredible, but Fanning's acting is beyond impeccable. The thing biggest reason to watch this movie.
July 8, 2014
Bella y tormentosa historia sobre dos adolescentes nacidas en familias disfuncionales abrumadas por el hostil periodo de tensión de la guerra fria y la amenaza de la bomba atómica. Los conflictos externos e internos pondrán a prueba su caracter, su creatividad y sobre todo su jurada eterna amistad. Elle Fanning se gradua como excelente actriz. Annette Bening irreconocible físicamente.
June 8, 2014
Officially one of my all time favorite movies
May 28, 2014
only a few moments were worthy...
½ May 15, 2014
Elle fanning's play is delicate ,sensitive and awesome.
The picture is beautiful.