Gods and Monsters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gods and Monsters Reviews

January 2, 2017
This is a maudlin melodrama, pretend story about a real person, James Whale an old Hollywood movie director (Bride of Frankenstein).
I no fan of biopics to begin with and this one is as bad as most can be.
Ian Holm is old and homosexual in orientation. He gets all worked up when young men happen by. Even though this (sin of?) lust gives him a stroke that sends him to the hospital. Really! There is a scene early on when this actually happens.
But the main story is hots for gardener, a strapping no-so-bright young man of around 30 years old.
And the old man is traumatized by being in the trenches in WWI, 40 years earlier.
Anyway, I didn't like this movie.
The Bride of Frankenstein is a lot better than this.
December 12, 2016
Ian McKellen stars as James Whale in a bit of speculative fiction about his last days. It's the late 50's and Whale has been retired from film making for over 15 years. He lives in a modestly big Los Angeles home with his German housekeeper (Lynn Redgrave). He develops a fascination with his yard man played by Brendan Fraser ... a fascination which develops into friendship. Fraser does not initially realize that Whale is gay, but the eventual disclosure leads to a comfortable understanding that they do not share each other's preferences. Recovering from a stroke, Whale is gradually losing his faculties, and it turns out his intentions with Fraser are not what they seem to be. This is not a great film, but it's a nice one. Well written and well acted, even by Fraser.
½ October 29, 2016
Brimming with weird subtext and solid performances, this is an intriguing look at Hollywood and some of the things that happen in the lives of those behind the camera. I thought it was an interesting watch, especially worth it for Ian McKellen.
½ September 2, 2016
Displaying two great performances from Ian McKellen and Brendan Fraser, director Bill Condon puts in his tender direction to create a heartfelt story of friendship and the effects of war.
½ July 10, 2016
One of the best films I have seen Brendan Fraser in, and Ian McKellan is superb as always. Gods and Monsters may not delight the more passive viewers but it is certainly a fascinating film that will leave an active viewer with plenty to think about even after the credits are done.
½ April 10, 2016
Brendan and Ian's chemistry was unquestionable.
½ February 23, 2016
Morgan Freeman and Ian Mckellan are honstely two actors who don't seem to age or at least look the exact same all the time in their face. I love both of them and with Mckellan he has such a distinctive face that its hard for me to imagine what he may have looked like before I found out about him in the lord of the rings franchise.

Gods and Monsters is an interesting flick in the large filmography/acting jobs that McKellan has had and while he still sports quite a bit of grey, Mckellan does seem younger and so it becomes all the more interesting to watch this performance of his. He acts alongside Brendan Fraiser of all people, a guy whom many of us have not heard from in years. I came to think of Fraiser as nothing more than a silly Indiana jones ripoff thanks to his horrible mummy pictures. Here Fraiser Mckellan bring their A Game and deliver some exquisite work.

Ian McKellan plays James Whale the famous director of the iconic movie Frankenstein. The film focuses on his final days as well as the friendship with his gardner clayton boone.

Pretty decent film. I can tell ian mckellen tweaked his accent up to capture james's English accent. He gives a wonderful performance here. He acted out the hallucinations so well, actually better than most actors I've seen do it. Quite the portrayal of this man. Brendan Frasier actually delivers an impressive performance for once. his character was really layered and not made to be simplistic at all which was great. idk why but fraiser's hair reminded me of wolverine's in the x-men films. All in all interesting relationship between the two.

the ending with the two was the best part of the film. that entire unraveling was fantasticly done. On a technical end, good editing and art direction as well as a decent score.

nice job with the direction here form Bill Condon. For those who knew of Whale in the spotlight he painted a nice portrait of whale near the end of his life. he introduced us to a man who really by all accounts cant leave his past nor his fame.

Gods and Monsters is a really good film that landed Ian Mckellen a well deserved Oscar nod. recommend checking this out when you can.
January 16, 2016
A underrated film that has an amazing by an actually gay dude
½ September 16, 2015
Really great film!!! I've watched it several times and I'm entertained each time I watch it!!!
July 2, 2015
Didn't really feel it.
½ May 14, 2015
The movie hinges on McKellen and he's more than up to it.
½ April 11, 2015
A relatively straightforward and melodramatic hollywood biopic about legendary director James Whale that touches on themes of sexuality and isolation. Ian McKellen is excellent, but Brendan Fraser's performance is inconsistent at best.
March 28, 2015
Really didn't expect to like this so much, but Ian McKellen as the openly gay and PTSD-affected director of the original "Frankenstein" film is terrific
March 24, 2015
Ian McKellan's hauntingly tragic and tortured portrait of a gay man rattled by his wartime experience and terrified at the fac that he is slowly going insane. McKellan strikes every cord with his portrayal, serving poetic justice to the wronged and misunderstood director James Whale, who became the creature from the films that made him famous.
March 7, 2015
I've always been a big Bill Condon fan ; He even made those unfortunate "Twilight" movies worth watching, and the cast is excellent.
December 27, 2014
Ian McKellen is always amazing but this was just gold for him. I don't usually like Brendan Fraser but he is great here and so is Lynne Redgrave. Bill Condon really needs to do more work like this
December 2, 2014
(57%)
A really quite fine telling of the final chapter of one of horror's most important early film directors filled with a keen eye for detail and a powerful climax. Sir Ian McKellen is of course brilliant in a role that works perfectly, while Brendan Fraser is perhaps on his best form as an actual actor rather than an action star or a comic. It has to be said that this isn't for everyone as it is slow of pace, and some prior knowledge and appreciation of James Whale is needed to truly get the best out of what this has to offer. For the performances and the insight into a life in and around the early days of Hollywood this is a worthy character piece worth tracking down.
October 29, 2014
A very shocking look on the last days of a extremely talented director! If you are part of this films demographic, you'll like it just fine. As for me, I'll just stick to the two original Frankenstein films, than watch this one again. Damn!
½ October 29, 2014
Cool subject matter, and a great performance from Sir Ian.
September 27, 2014