Godzilla Vs. Biollante - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Godzilla Vs. Biollante Reviews

½ October 2, 2016
Something to fall asleep to
June 1, 2016
Very interesting film, and one of the better ones of the Hesei series. Good story and Kaiju.
½ March 28, 2016
This is the 17th Godzilla movie. It is better then most of the Godzilla movies made before it. The 16th Godzilla movie The Return of Godzilla is one of the very few Godzilla movies that is better. This is a great film see it.
March 27, 2016
I believe this is one of the greatest godzilla flicks. Its extremely "unique," and has a really great monster. Either this movie or godzilla vs destroyah is the best of the heisei series. The plot is great, and is one of the greatest of the whole series. The human characters are pretty great, and the monster fight is really cool. The soundtrack is great. The effects are excellent, and the suit is a huge improvement over the last film. The monster's origin is mysterious, and really compelling. This monster, Biollante, it might be a plant mixed with godzilla cells, or it could be a mythological creature with the soul of this doctor's daughter inside it. This film went back to godilla's dark roots but still had a monster fight. I loved this movie. It is a MUST SEE for any godzilla fan.
½ May 20, 2015
Horrible came across it at Kmart for $5 and never seen it so I bought it watched it twice and never again such a pointless stupid Godzilla movie
April 4, 2015
There is something special about the character behind Godzilla. Some hidden nobility that is able to transcend the science-fiction genre and give it a sense of social importance. In 1954's Gojira, it was all about the nuclear holocaust that had consequences much further reaching than anyone would care to admit; in 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante, the topic at hand is environmental pollution, and the long-term effects of human ignorance. Dramatized, of course, but isn't that what makes films like this so engaging? The viewer has to appreciate the ingenuity of the costume design taking place at Toho, as well as the graphic splendor that might remind us of a time when special effects didn't have to govern an action flick, but rather give it a slick visual appeal as it does here.
January 25, 2015
An unbelievably dark tone, a subplot involving different groups killing each other for Godzilla's cells, awesome battles, and horrifying monster designs make up the majority of Godzilla's best outing. One of my favorite movies ever.
December 28, 2014
never seen this but want to
September 17, 2014
Godzilla vs biollante
August 23, 2014
the best movies did i want.
½ August 7, 2014
A good shot at originality, but not particularly memorable...
July 31, 2014
I find this movie underrated. The action is great. The new monster is cool and it still keeps the same feel as its proceeder. I've always liked this one and I think Biollante should've returned in the later sequels.
June 22, 2014
after a dissipointing reboot in 1984 godzilla vs biollante establishes what the future heisie series will be like. its ingeniously written, with smart dialog, good acting, amazing action, beautiful music, and a fantasy aspect that i love seeing in sci fi films.
June 9, 2014
Tormented scientist Genichiro Shiragami creates a mutation crossed with Godzilla, a rose, and his daughter's cells called Biollante. This is a very interesting setup, allowing the introduction of bio weapons to the franchise. Because of this several countries are in a race to get the cells. This movie has an overall better pacing than the last. As for the effects Koichi Kawakita has done a good job. The monsters look great and their fight is unlike previous films. In the end this Godzilla film dabbles in new ideas to much success.
May 30, 2014
My favorite villain "Biollante," love the effects, however it had some cheesy moments but it can be overlook since this film was made back in 1989.
May 20, 2014
Who could have guessed that so soon after a decent relaunch a franchise could diminish so quickly again! Although, some elements of the movie were interesting, (particularly the science elements regarding manipulations of Godzilla's cells in creating biollante) the overall film was dull and even the monster battle failed to save it! I could have also done without some girl reading minds and predicting the future too...
½ May 19, 2014
A direct sequel to Godzilla 1985. It takes a while to get going, but when it does, the goods are dished out in this somewhat poetic bash. Science should stop messing with Godzilla cells. When has it ever worked out guys.
½ May 19, 2014
"Godzilla vs. Biollante" brings the franchise closer to its roots and that's a good thing, however, the movie is a mixed bag because there is not nearly as much Biollante as there should be. The film picks up immediately after the events of "Godzilla 1985", with Godzilla being imprisoned inside the erupting Mr. Mihara. A scientific team picks up some tissue left behind by Godzilla, but a terrorist attack leaves the facility where the genetic material is being studied destroyed and Erika, the daughter of genetic researcher Genichiro Shiragami (Koji Takahashi) dead. Five years later, Shiragami is researching plants and their psychic energy when he is called by the Japanese government to help create bacteria that will feed on radiation. Godzilla has returned and despite the new Super-X2 being fully operational, the King of the Monsters is sure to cause untold amounts of damage so a secondary weapon against it is necessary. When Shiragami clandestinely conducts experiments in which he combines some of Godzilla's genetic material with that of a rose, a gigantic new life form grows in a nearby lake: Biollante. It's unclear at first if this gigantic flower might be a friend or a foe to mankind, but either way she is headed for a showdown with Godzilla.

Let's start with what works with this movie, and that is the special effects. The Godzilla suit being used in this film is even better than the one in "1985" and there is a decent amount of destruction and pyrotechnics too. Most spectacular is the inclusion of Biollante. The plant creature has two forms in the film, one that resembles a giant rose with carnivorous vines and the second, a monstrous creature that towers over even Godzilla, has a maw filled to the brim with razor-sharp teeth, is able to spit acid and has dozens of vine-tentacles for arms. This is not only one of the most original creatures in the franchise, but one of the most impressive. There are at one time dozens of pieces moving and it really is a technical feat as Biollante entangles Godzilla in its "arms" and the King of the Monsters struggles to set himself free. Despite the limited screen time that both forms have, it's a really memorable monster and a foe that legitimately is a good match for Godzilla. It begins as a delicate creature, one that is not looking for anything more than a couple of rays of sunshine and some nourishment when it is attacked by Godzilla. Devastated, it returns later in the film as a grotesque monster, even more alien to the world than Godzilla. Who would have thought that a giant plant/dinosaur hybrid could be a match for a fire-breathing mutation? It's this big contrast that grabs you and makes you want to see what comes up next. When Biollante rears its ugly head again, it's back with a vengeance. Now it looks like Godzilla is the one that doesn't stand a chance. The scenes with the monsters battling each other are what makes the movie worth seeing. It's not quite enough to make you forget about the bad stuff, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

For all the praise you have to give to the monster action, there really isn't that much of it. We only get a single battle between Godzilla and the first floral form of Biollante, and a single, very short battle between the villain of this movie and the final form. Between this, we get endless footage of either Godzilla being harassed by Super-X2 or the incoherent plot between the humans. A big problem is that there's very little tension when it comes to the battles between Godzilla and the human ship. Super-X2 is now being piloted by remote control, so even if you could manage to get emotionally attached to the pilot and chief commander of the project, Colonel Sho Koruki (Masanobu Takashima) there's no chance whatsoever that he is going to suffer even minor injuries from his encounters with the kaiju. It doesn't help that he gets about as much character development as the tanks Godzilla steps on casually. You can't even like him because of his military brilliance because towards the end of the movie, he becomes downright idiotic. He gives an order that you think is going to pay off and succeed despite all odds (which would make for a dramatic, tension filled moment for once) but instead it fails and Super-X2 is written out of the movie. I suppose you could give credit to the movie for having a lot going on in terms of the humans, if you don't mind it taking the form of bad dialogue and incoherent stories. Several times throughout it becomes obvious that there are simply way too many characters and too many side plots that aren't nearly as interesting as the two titular monsters. We've got this side story with a school of psychic children, headed by Miki Saegusa (Megumi Odaka), who is trying to communicate with Godzilla and Biollante several times throughout the movie. That one doesn't really go anywhere and actually only serves to confuse the audience further. Apparently on top of being a Godzilla/rose hybrid Biollante is also somehow possessed by the ghost of Shiragami's daughter (wait, what?) There is also a plot about the radiation-eating bacteria that I could not make or tails of because of the bad dubbing in the movie (and it really is bad). So it's been a recurring theme throughout the series that Godzilla is radioactive and that even if he only stomps the house that's next to yours, the radioactive fallout is going to kill you. Here they explain that they want to create bacteria that feeds on radiation to solve this problem and that it would also be a weapon against Godzilla. That makes sense. They go on further to explain that the bacteria would also negate the destructive power of Nuclear weapons and that for this reason it shouldn't be created and might be an even deadlier weapon than the nuclear warheads in the first place. Wait, what? How is making nuclear devices ineffective a bad thing? They really don't explain it well. They do, however make it clear that someone doesn't want this bacteria to be created so we get a long plot about terrorists wanting to steal the organisms. Not only are they willing to resort to murder to get what they want, but are also willing to release Godzilla from his stone prison! That's where one of my favourite bad lines in the movie comes from. We are told that "They are holding Japan ransom and Godzilla is the hostage". This word hostage... I don't think it means what you think it means script writers!

I went into this movie with really high hopes, based mostly on the lukewarm results we got with "Godzilla 1985" and the excitement of seeing a brand-new monster, one that's really original and cool. Unfortunately, I sat awkwardly through really bad dialogue and a plot that's downright nutty at times. It's still enjoyable, mostly because of the really impressive monster action, but I'm telling you this now: if you want to watch this movie and have a good time, make fun of it. The human plot is bad and there are actually some terrible lines that are very quotable here so just start riffing on it and it'll be one of those "so bad it's good" Godzilla movies. As a straightforward movie (that's the way I watched this time) it's just ok. To be honest I didn't even list all of the problems I had with it but I really didn't want to rag on this one any harder than I already did because it really is enjoyable, if only for the parts featuring the titular creatures. (English Dub on Blu-ray, May 1, 2014)
May 13, 2014
It's a very fun Godzilla movie that I would recommend to any fan of monsters!