Hercules Reviews

• May 18, 2020

This movie is so bad that I can't remember half of it.

This movie is so bad that I can't remember half of it.

• May 04, 2020

Mostly disappointing, 'Hercules' fails to deliver in what should've been a thrilling action film. It's still an OK production, with a few decent qualities. Dwayne Johnson is perfect for the titular role, even if it isn't one of his best performances; the iffy wig doesn't help either. Ian McShane and Aksel Hennie are good casts, though both are a little underused throughout. I didn't like the multiple villains, especially as none of them really stand out. Away from McShane (Amphiaraus) and Hennie (Tydeus), I don't think they got the correct actors for Hercules' team - the remaining lot all slightly irritated me in different ways. The plot isn't the greatest here either. I did actually enjoy the ending in truth, it's the best part of the film... everything up to that point plods, as well as having rather obvious plot devices. The overall score could've been better, also. It all accounts for unsatisfying viewing, unfortunately.

• Apr 27, 2020

As a historian, this was supposed to be the birth of the phalanx, the military tactic of 'shield wall' that conquered the known world when Alexander brought it up to speed. This very clever movie was able to infuse various myths and legends into a cohesive, truly fun movie. The Rock always plays the Rock with humor, intelligence, and basic decency. This is a really good movie!

• Apr 19, 2020

I knew beforehand that the trailers and TV spots were all hiding a big secret: that there is no CGI monster-battling action. All those scenes are from a montage from the first 5 minutes which cut away before any real violence happens which are never seen again with the actual story being much different. Keep in mind that this isn't a spoiler or a plot twist. If you came late to the movie theater you would be confused by the lack of monsters with the few Greek mythological creatures we do see being either hallucinations or a trick of the light. Disappointing as that might've been, how does the actual movie hold up? It has unnecessary, distracting CGI, a cliched story and obvious influences from 300. Also, what's up with the chestplate? But the action sequences are solid, the movie's shot and paced well, Dwayne Johnson is awesome as per the norm and there are a few legitimately funny moments, mostly because of Ian McShane. It adds nothing new to the sword-and-sandals subgenre but it's okay, even if it the real plot twist was that the trailers were all just exaggerated retellings of the twelve tasks told from his nephew's perspective. Still better than the Clash of the Titans remake.

• Apr 12, 2020

L'unica cosa che salvo è la versione mercenaria di Hercules. Per li resto poco da segnalare, personaggi veramente poco interessanti; trama rivedibile, soprattutto nel finale.

• Apr 06, 2020

This is probably the most violent PG-13 movie out there. Lots of blood and bodies. I wonder how many bribes were paid to keep this from an R rating. Otherwise this is an odd film as Hercules is a man who with his crew, generated and exaggerated the myths around him, but he was still capable of great feats. The Cerberus for example was just three large black wolves. It feels like a large chunk of the film is missing. Because they mention a sorcerer who corrupts minds, but that entire plot line is dropped. But overall it's still fun.

• Feb 08, 2020

A good story line and an awesome acting attitude by the cast. Overall watchable movie for fun..!

• Jan 16, 2020

Hercules was a fun popcorn film, entertaining and visually solid. It is nothing special but miles better than that other one they did the same year as this one

• Jan 14, 2020

Decent popcorn fare. Just a missed opportunity to take advantage of rich source material.

• Jan 01, 2020

you get exactly what you expect!

you get exactly what you expect!