Hide Away (A Year in Mooring) Reviews

• Jul 31, 2015

Hide Away is one of those unique movies that draws you in to its silence, its unfolding story, its sensitivity, and its journey. Eyre's direction is a major part of the film itself in his choices of scene, angle, perspective, pans, cut a-ways, and close-ups. The scenery is a character as much as the actors. The beauty of Lake Michigan (?), in all the seasons of this journey, has a profound effect on the viewer as well as the main character. Personally, I relate to sailboats and the seasonal themes of life on a Great Lake. This may have amplified my respect for the nearly black and white still shots that permeate this film. The fact that we never--never--know that names of the major characters is almost unnoticeable. The mysterious drama moves us forward with tense imagery and soft sympathy. We know something terrible haunts this man's past, driving him to hide away from what he cannot escape. We want him to face it and survive. Hide Away is an emotional and satisfying journey toward redemption.

• Aug 09, 2014

good well acted vehicle 4 josh lucas

good well acted vehicle 4 josh lucas

• Jul 25, 2014

Josh Lucas is great but overall movie feels too slow.

Josh Lucas is great but overall movie feels too slow.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Jul 17, 2014

"Hide Away" starts with a man(Josh Lucas) arriving at a marina to buy a boat. Unfortunately, it turns out to be something of a fixer-upper, leading him to have much less fun than the other man(Jon Tenney, of "Maxwell & King) there in the midst of a midlife crisis. Of course, the drinking does not help. Yes, "Hide Away" can be something of a slog, especially early on, as it is never any fun watching a character trying to drink himself to death. But with a little help from a good supporting cast that also includes Ayelet Zurer and James Cromwell, the movie gently shows how none of us are ever as alone as we think we are. Plus, I again admit my fondness for Josh Lucas, along with the area of the country where this movie was made.

• Mar 06, 2014

Boring! A short movie that feels way too long! Save your money, watch paint dry instead

• Dec 07, 2013

It's basically just Lucas going through a short story-like period of reflection and redemption almost entirely without dialogue. It's not enough, but it is what this underappreciated actor does best. I say RENT IT!!!

• Oct 23, 2013

A bit too slow, quiet and introspective for my taste. Very little dialogue to provide insight into the main character's struggles and torturous existence. Josh Lucas plays a sympathetic role and James Cromwell is the perfect wise and crusty sailor. It is good to see however the sailboat regain its sleek beauty. The ending is quite disappointing and unsatisfying. He doesn't even take it out for a sail⦠instead he walks off away from the sunset.

• Oct 23, 2013

A really fine film, If you have ever had a boat, you feel this film from your head to your toes, Josh Lucas, played the part superbly, and the whole feeling of the film captured a fascinating chunk of life, that appeals to true romantics, and bohemians everywhere, the best films I have seen in a long time.....

• Jun 08, 2013

As the name says it's a drama about a man who spends a year in morring.. Josh Lucas performance is outstanding.

• May 03, 2013

Unfortunately I saw this film.

Unfortunately I saw this film.