The History Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The History Boys Reviews

½ September 1, 2017
Expected better. Thought this film was going to be funnier than it was. Also very random bits to do with teacher/pupil gay relationships going on.
January 26, 2017
The History Boys is a wonderful film written by Allan Bennett, it was a stage susses round the world with a great cast of know English actors and upping younger actors.
The interplay between the characters is wonderful, 'Hector' [Richard Griffihs] is the centre character and his Headmaster [Clive Merrison] has clashes about teaching meatheads and other maters.
I could pick-out the enter cast for excellent work, but now you should have noted I have enjoyed this film; many times.
October 3, 2016
One of my all-time favorites.
September 15, 2016
I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable while watching a film before. It's not even that the film is awful either. It has nothing to work with. The play is horrendous. Why teenagers study this in school I will never know. All the characters are so twisted, sick and unrealistic that you can never immerse yourself into it as you just know you're watching a bad film. It also has one of the happiest sad endings I've ever seen. You can definitely tell Bennett was drunk when he wrote this play.
½ July 17, 2016
Hauska, erilainen, ajatuksia herättävä elokuva. (y)
May 29, 2016
Education is important but lessons can be learnt in AND out of the classroom. Look around you. History is all around and lessons can be learnt from books and observing those around you.
½ April 28, 2016
Richard Griffiths's best!
March 5, 2016
Much better than 65% in my book
January 8, 2016
A very British trifle. An interesting story of teenage boys trying to get into Oxford, it has all of the focal points of such a story, with sex being the main one. However, I was a bit put off on how the "peccadilloes" of one of the professors is kind of brushed off. I struggle with that, because he was a great character otherwise and I feel like the only reason he was portrayed this way was to amp up the homo-eroticism of the film. In fact, it's pederasty and, to me, was very unpleasant. It wasn't needed and it was very off-putting to me. The cast, as a whole, is great with Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon Dursley of "Harry Potter" fame) being outstanding, even if he does play said pederast. I enjoyed it to a point, but I couldn't understand the acceptance. Perhaps it's very "Britishness" is beyond me.
December 18, 2015
Yawn,so boring I wanted my time back
October 24, 2015
Disappointing adaptation of the stage hit with some nice ensemble acting and a standout performance from Richard Griffiths.
½ September 29, 2015
Not as funny or cleaver as it wishes you to believe.
September 3, 2015
Engaging story and excellent performances by all. Loved it!!!!
February 28, 2015
Should have stayed on the stage you feel, just does not work as a movie. It's one of those films where you spend the entire time thinking 'nobody in the real world talks or acts like this'. The weird attitude towards the dirty old pervert teacher of 'he's just a wacky old eccentric' feels like it belongs to a different era and possible Operation Yewtree. Whenever the film runs out of ideas as well it just seems to throw in a gay character or plot-line randomly which never works either.
February 21, 2015
gr8 school pic like say 'to sir with love"
½ January 9, 2015
I quite enjoyed this film. I know alot of people don't seem to like it and I can see that its play version would probably be better but I writing was still really good, with it being both funny and poignant.
January 2, 2015
Fantastic. Brilliant set of characters created by Bennett, who complement each other perfectly. Very easy viewing.
½ October 31, 2014
Especially relevant to me these days.
½ October 2, 2014
I can see why the play was successful, but this film doesn't seem to have translated it well to the screen. It's very wordy and erratic; the dialogue has too much rhythm and flows too loudly and easily to be believable rather than annoying. Basically the British "Dead Poets Society", though not quite as good.
July 9, 2014
Love Frances de la Tour and she's outstanding in this, as is Richard Griffiths. A good school drama flick that is definitely superior in the dialogue department and very worthwhile viewing.