The Hot Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hot Rock Reviews

February 22, 2015
Great movie. George Segal and Ron Leibman are pure gold, as are some of the supporting cast. Music by Quincy Jones is credited to his musicians. Movie is always buried and ignored. One of Redford's few really good movies.
August 15, 2014
85%

"It's what I do."-Archibald Dortmunder (Robert Redford)

While it may not be an award winning Redford film, it's still quite a fun crime caper flick.
July 16, 2014
I like heist movies and I jumped at the chance to watch a heist movie starring Robert Redford. The Hot Rock is a decent comedy drama that has a lot of dry humor that works. The creative ways they use to pull off the heights are cool and overall the movie delivered everything I would want from a heist movie.
DrStrangeblog
August 11, 2013
Enormously entertaining caper flick where a quartet of thieves don't have just one job, they have to pull off four - a museum, the state prison, a police station, and a bank - and all to get the same diamond! Redford is typical Redford as the cool-as-a-cucumber brains of the group, although he tends to get arrested and needs antacids to offset the nerves he internalizes. George Segal is the optimist and master locksmith, while Ron Leibman and Paul Sand round out the team, and we can't forget Zero Mostel as a crooked lawyer. There's always something amusing going on in William Goldman's script which adds offbeat color to the story, like an old woman who interrupts a gang meeting in the park to feed the birds, or a bum who steals Redford's watch when he's casing a building, or the getaway driver and his mother who listen to speedway recordings of roaring engines for recreation. Plus, there's a breathtaking extended helicopter ride through downtown New York City. If you love caper movies, you've got to see The Hot Rock.

"Johnny.....Can't you go straight this time?"
"I just don't have it in me."
August 3, 2013
A very good film. I liked it as a kid even though a barely could understand it. I saw it again as an adult and liked it all over again.
June 30, 2013
How to steal a diamond...and steal it...and steal it--Amiable caper comedy with a great cast!!
½ February 13, 2013
I saw this movie at a movie theater in Stillwater, Oklahoma when I was in high school. I laughed my ass off. I later bought a paperback copy of the book the movie was based on. The movie follows the book fairly closely. The movie was filmed in New York City. There are a couple of scenes where you can see the unfinished World Trade Center twin towers. The story is about a group of jewel thieves trying to steal a large diamond for an African nation that claims the diamond belongs to them. They can't seem to get it right and have to keep stealing the diamond over and over again. There are some cool muscle cars from the early 1970's. They wear some of the ugly clothes from the 1970's. It's still a good movie but after you've seen it before the jokes aren't as funny. The amount of money the thieves are offered seem low until you think of the amount of inflation that's taken place since 1972.
½ October 31, 2012
An entertaining, breezy caper comedy that is miles better than many of its successors.
October 18, 2012
I can't help it, I like caper movies. Lol
½ April 4, 2012
A Pure perfection. Ricky Miller
January 25, 2012
A solid effort, a good cast w/ great chemistry but a lack of backstory and a wee bit too long puts it in the C+/ B- range. Still worth a look. A lengthy flyabout NYC in a helicopter has one particular, now eerie, noteworthy image: The WTC under construction.
January 14, 2012
Fine 70's movie, but worth it almost just for the footage of the twin towers under construction.
½ October 21, 2011
A Pure perfection. Ricky Miller
August 28, 2011
Cool and funny! A real good flick!
August 28, 2011
Robert Redford in his hey day. Silly, but good.
½ August 20, 2011
Couldn't help feeling sorry for thieves in this movie (Redford is so lovable) after a series of unfortunate events prevents them from enjoying the fruits of their labor. Good acting all around (another good screenplay by William Goldman) and eerie scenes of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center being built.
½ July 23, 2011
½ June 26, 2011
Swell, apart from that weirdly paced anti-climax.