Lisa And The Devil (Lisa e il diavolo) (The Devil in the House of Exorcism) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lisa And The Devil (Lisa e il diavolo) (The Devil in the House of Exorcism) Reviews

January 10, 2017
Atmospheric film by Bava (LISA AND THE DEVIL) with possession scenes by Alfredo Leone shamelessly tacked on later to cash in on THE EXORCIST (complete with Elke spewing green vomit and frogs). Result is somewhat incomprehensible but... two films for the price of one!
½ February 8, 2016
This is one of Mario Bava's more psychedelic films (which is saying something), as well as one of his more frustrating. It feels like it could have been a lot better had it been a bit more focused. But alas, we are left with a movie that is merely good, but not great. Telly Savalas is enjoyably sinister, though.
June 27, 2015
Mike slipped.

Lisa is an American tourist that takes a tour in an ancient Spanish village and discovers a mosaic of the devil. She becomes very interested in the piece and has some interesting encounters. One night she is forced to take refuge in a strange mansion with an interesting house keeper. She may have found what she was looking for in the town in the mansion.

"The thought of losing you fills one with much sadness."

Mario Bava, director of Kill Baby, Kill; Black Sabbath; Black Sunday; Roy Colt and Winchester Jack; Knives of the Avenger; and Blood and Black Lace, delivers Lisa and the Devil. The storyline for this picture is pretty interesting and fun to watch unfold. Some of the sequences were cheesy but it's an old classic. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Telly Savalas, Elke Sommer, Sylva Koscina, and Alida Valli.

"I am no longer a child. Let me live my life!"

I came across this on Netflix as part of the Mario Bava collection and had to watch it. I enjoyed the film and thought it was better than many of the films in this collection. Telly Savalas was great in his role and kept the film off balance. This is a good film for fans of the genre.

"I was not introduced to the fifth guest."

Grade: C+
June 7, 2015
Lesser-caliber Mario Bava thriller is neither very suspenseful nor very over-the-top.
December 19, 2014
Not exactly horrifying (even though it belongs to the oeuvre of horror maestro Mario Bava) but instead imbued with the qualities of a (rather disturbed) dream. I think it is probably Elke Sommer's dream (although then confusingly she might have a dream within this dream too). Or maybe it is Telly Savalas's dream - he is one of the few characters that remains alive at the end (and perhaps he is the devil of the title). Still as some commentators have pointed out, there is a thin line between life and death here and between mannikin and flesh. So maybe everyone is alive in that airplane at the end (a surreal gesture not unlike Bunuel's conclusion to Simon of the Desert)? Bava's images are woozy, colourful, and sometimes indistinct. The plot, as far as one can tell, involves Sommer's trip to Spain being interrupted by a badly timed decision to hitch-hike in a car that subsequently breaks down at Alida Valli's possibly haunted mansion where she is mistaken for a corpse to which she may have borne a distinct resemblance. OK, only dream logic applies! (Original version watched -- not House of Exorcism)
March 10, 2014
Have you ever seen CARNIVAL OF SOULS? Well, that is the basic plot of LISA AND THE DEVIL except it is more mystical, beautiful, and sensual. Elke Sommer plays Lisa, a tourist who becomes involved with an intricate plot of mannequins, murders, and necrophilia in the family home of a countess and her estranged son. The movie is one that you have to pay VERY close attention to, every scene has importance. I think everyone has their own opinion on the meaning of this film, it's very fun to draw your own up. It feels like the movie grabbed hold of you and you are actually part of the mystery. This is a must-have movie.
½ January 26, 2014
A wild hypnotic gothic tale from the master Mario Bava. Make sure you avoid the American cut "House of Exorcism" at all costs. It is truly terrible
½ December 29, 2013
Lisa e il Diavolo (The House of Exorcism) (Mario Bava, 1974)

I don't know why I keep watching Mario Bava movies. I've seen all of those that people have recommended to me over and over again and found them anywhere from mediocre (Bay of Blood) to utterly unwatchable (Black Sunday). And yet so many people I know are so taken with Bava's movies that I keep trying. I don't do that with Woody Allen or Godard, so what is it about Bava? That said, I may have finally found the movie that will put me off him forever, Lisa e il Diavolo. Incoherent, rambling, badly-paced, and one of the largest wastes of A-list talent I have ever experienced, this movie would be best-served with the piquant odor of burning celluloid.

I'd give you a plot synopsis, but for this movie, that is well-nigh impossible. It involves the titular Lisa (delicious B-movie temptress Elke Sommer), who attracts the eye of a very wealthy, very perverse chap with a mannequin fetish, Leandro (Blood and Lace's Telly Savalas). During a tour of a foreign land, her car breaks down, and she and her chauffeur (Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals' Gabriele Tinti), along with the husband and wife from whom she hitched a ride, Max and Sophie (The Count of Monte Cristo's Alessio Orano and Boccaccio's Sylva Koscina), are forced to find shelter in the decaying mansion of a countess (The Third Man's Alida Valli-oh, how far the mighty have fallen) who may or may not be in league with the diabolical forces who seem to have taken as much of a shine to Lisa as Leandro has.

Man, I wish, given that cast (did I mention Eduardo Fajardo is in here as well?), there was one thing I could say about this movie that sounds like a vaguely redeeming quality. That's usually a stable of actors where at least one will turn in a performance that make a movie at least marginally worth watching, but it's almost as if Bava coached them to be as stale and lifeless as possible. Simply put, in every conceivable way, this is an awful, awful movie, and it easily earned itself a place on the 100 Worst list. It was saved from zero-star status simply because it wasn't overtly offensive and I finished watching it, for some unknown reason. Avoid like the plague. 1/2
May 24, 2013
utter bizarre classic
May 12, 2013
House of What's-On-Nextorcism
March 26, 2013
I barely know how to explain what the hell happens in this picture other than it's a typical giallo (google it). But it's directed by the notoriously steady and sometimes engaging and unique direction of Mario Bava...one of Italy's best B-movie director of his, perhaps of all, time. This movie, however, is somewhat of a confusing mess that is too dull for the first 2/3rds of the film where by the final act you will find yourself both intrigued and relieved that this exorcise in "surreal" giallo is over. I barely remember anything about it other than a slightly menacing Telly Savalas (KOJACK) who had control over handmade dummies. Good late night fun, otherwise avoid. ***NOTE: (THE DEVIL IN THE) HOUSE OF EXORCISM is a different edit from LISA AND THE DEVIL that includes more graphic scenes that capitalized on the trend of THE EXORCIST rip-offs and I've heard that this is a much worse version to watch, so only watch this if you're curious. Curiosity killed the cat!
Francisco G.
December 16, 2012
A sumptuous psychadelic ride with brilliant setting and cinematography that gradually descends onto the dark title of the movie with good results. The story is surprising and the odd elements blend together surprisingly well. Probably one of the best from Mario Bava, Lisa and the Devil is a must see for fans of the giallo genre and horror in general.
November 12, 2012
The original edit, Lisa and the Devil, remains Bava's most haunting and deeply personal project. The re-edited version, crassly tranformed into a rip off of William Friedkin's The Exorcist, is to be avoided.
Ryan M
½ November 11, 2012
Mario Bava has made great films; and then he's made Lisa and the Devil, an alluring assault on the senses that in turn goes deep into those of the titular character. From the colorful opening titles sequence to the highly strange finale; it is horror as art and surrealism at its near finest. This joins the ranks of Suspiria and The Beyond as one of the best Italian horror films ever made. If I know one thing, it's that I love the dream logic aspect of these pictures and I think it works brilliantly here to express Lisa's constantly deteriorating mental state. As always, if you don't like Italian horror; then don't bother. But it's a phantasmagoric work of art that needs to be discovered one day by a larger audience, and to fans of the weird, the wonderful, and the dreamily horrific, I cannot hold it in higher regards for your consideration.
October 27, 2012
Saw the US release of this film where distributors added clips of a priest performing an exorcism in a hospital that blatantly rips off and tries to cash in on The Exorcist but only serves to make Bava's film mostly incoherent.
366weirdmovies
October 22, 2012
A tourist finds herself staying overnight at a Spanish villa managed by a butler who is the spitting image of Satan as pictured on a local fresco. Builds to a perverse and spooky third act as the shameful secrets of the chateau are slowly brought to light, but the first two thirds of the movie are slow and often confusing. Not to be confused with the re-edited American version HOUSE OF EXORCISM, which is reportedly much worse.
½ July 4, 2012
It's clammy, camp and lurid. I liked it!
½ May 10, 2012
Lisa and Kojack--Entertaining, incoherent!!
½ March 31, 2012
I won't sit here and pretend that Lisa and the Devil made a whole lot of sense as a story, even with the so-called "superior" version of the film. It often sends you in different directions and you can never quite get a firm foothold as you're watching it. I can sort of see what Mario Bava was going for here, but unfortunately the actors he picked just aren't that interesting. The only one of note is Alida Valli, who is always mesmerizing when she's on-screen. Even Elke Sommer is usesless here. I can see why genre fans appreciate it, but I can also see why American distributors wanted to cut it up and try something different with it. I haven't seen the "House of Exorcism" cut, and I'm told it's awful, but it makes sense to me having seen the film why they felt the need to do that. I have a feeling that neither version of the film is really that good, but since it has Mario Bava's stamp on it and that he never saw the original cut released in the U.S. when he was alive, it's definitely worth checking out. Just don't expect to be wowed or anything.
FilmFanatik