Husband Material (Manmarziyaan) Reviews

• Sep 20, 2020

Stupidity, waste of time

Stupidity, waste of time

• Jun 20, 2020

An underrated gem of a movie.

An underrated gem of a movie.

• Dec 21, 2019

While I don't know why it's international screen name is 'Husband Material' which sounds so bizarre that it is ultimately bland, what I can tell you about the film is that it deconstructs the complex layers of love, fucking love, bloody love and many other modern forms of love today. Only, the craft here is of the director who has in credit gangster dramas like 'Gangs of Wasseypur' and 'Black Friday'. So we see why it's not an Imtiaz Ali movie: there are dark, grays in its characters and their layers... but it is also not bereft of poetic touch which might be the most fierce thing about it.

• Jul 14, 2019

If I could give this movie negative stars, I would. Undoubtedly one of the worst movies I've seen till date. Yikes

• Jun 05, 2019

Manmarziyaan is a romantic comedy, I was enjoying the movie in the beginning with its fun and laughs, but as soon as the Love triangle was introduced plot and storytelling went out of the equation. There is a saying Love is blind, in the movie they go on to show how blind, dumb and absurd it can be. The cast and their performances were good but not good enough to save the movie.

• Jan 27, 2019

Not a classic but still entertaining. Just a normal movie, appears to me this was an attempt to gross some money for a future project by Anurag Kashyap. Although the storyline was unimpressive but the music was fantastic. Really good job by Taapsee and Vicky, Abhishek anyway hasn't really been impressive for a while. Definitely a good attempt to portray a modern love triangle with the complex moralities involved along with a quirky sense of humor. The story however needed much more work to really surprise the audience since the topic of love is so cliched that unless a writer really gives the story a personal touch it doesn't really appeal to you. The story also had major flaws like Vicky's exit in the end is completely ridiculous and the ending is totally bullshit, a more suitable ending was like that of La La Land where the protagonists part ways. I would probably not watch this again by myself but still a good movie to watch again with a bunch of friends.

• Jan 17, 2019

Hindi film evolution could be tracked by these stories where a girl does not or cannot marry someone she loves, is forced to compromise, struggles to forget the per-marital love but eventually ends with the husband. From Sangam to this movie, there are at least five if not dozens such movies, and many a reflection of their eras. Manmarziyaan surprises throughout and beautifully presents the current realities with lovely characters.

• Oct 06, 2018

Mind blowing, trendy, best movie of 2018

Mind blowing, trendy, best movie of 2018

• Oct 02, 2018

as usual, this movie peaks at so many places, hitting such right chords, creating such emotional punches, being so rustic, being so musical, being so kashyap at its truest!

• Sep 20, 2018

After watching the trailer of this one I wondered, no way this is a Kashyap film. It wasn't just the lack of a dark and gritty theme. The trailer made the conflicts and characters look naive and filmy. The film though defied that very statement. After a long time, there is a rom com in India which has characters with so much depth, written with writing that's so real and rich. The story itself was nothing but a remake of Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. But, as the song that movie starts with says, hey we need an update to our love stories. Kanika did exactly that. The best part about the writing was that all three leads had amazing characters. This writing was enhanced vastly by Kashyap's direction. I mean this guy fucking gets it right everytime. His use of songs and the dance narrators to get into Roomy's head, his use of locations and amazing editing and cinematography to create this film that was both emotional and engaging. Kashyap was able to get me with all his characters. Kashyap`s subtle use of symbolisms also allowed for a rich viewing, like whenever Robbie saw Rummi watching television, it was always animals having sex. This is how the love between Rummi and Vicky was like from Robbie`s world. In a scene, Robbie literally pulls her attention from that to him and that`s when they first bond. But, the best part about his direction was that he was able to successfully complete every single character arc, including all the side characters. It was fascinating watching a story like this executed with such a fine craft. There were some amazing conversational scenes in the film, like where Roomy argues with Vicky in the car while they are eloping, or the scene where Robbie tries to strike a conversation with Roomy while she watches animal sex or the one where Robbie finds out or the end conversation between Robbie and Rummi. This film was filled with such well done conversations that got so many filmamking areas right. In the acting department, Vicky Kaushal was stellar. It was Abhishek and Tapsi who were decent, but they really didn't back the film with the acting that was needed. That was the only thing that missed a mark in otherwise a skillful display of filmamking in this typical Bollywood love triangle. Well that's not completely true. The film also had the kundali song, which felt a bit awkward. But Kashyap was still able to bring in a stellar conversation between Robbie and his dad in between to make it better, but still, it was awkward to watch such a thing in a Kashyap film. I would recommed it for people who enjoy watching skillful filmmaking over mind bending stories.