Hyde Park on Hudson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hyde Park on Hudson Reviews

June 19, 2018
It can be difficult to translate the experience of watching a play to traditional film. The strength of the story is tested when it changes mediums. In the case of "Hyde Park on Hudson," it may have been a benefit that I knew it had been a play first, even though I had not seen the play. I watched it as a play, so it wasn't as poorly received by me as it appears to have been by others. Maybe it is my generation, but seeing Bill Murray continue to take on roles like this does my heart good. While I can't say he did an admirable job of portraying a president I've never seen in social situations, he definitely holds his own in the company of veteran Laura Linney. The history of the story of "Daisy" and her special relationship with FDR has been challenged, so knowing how valid the story is becomes important if the reason for watching is to understand history. However, the historical components that include the King and Queen of England are known and add to perceived authenticity of the overall story. Also, given Daisy's length of service with the FDR library and museum years after FDR's death, one can make an assumption that a good portion is probably true. However, the blunt nature in which their relationship begins makes the viewer have to adjust rather suddenly in ascertaining exactly what the point of the movie is, which I'm sure is the reason for many viewers being turned off by the film. Once past that early scene, though, I was able to appreciate the story for what it was. Yes, it could have gone a more traditional route and helped establish more depth around just who Daisy was, but again, this was a play. Characters just don't often get constructed that way. There is little time to do them justice and to have done that for the film may have been perceived as tarnishing the source material. While it isn't a bad film, one has to question why it was deemed worthy of translating to film. It didn't accomplish enough or have the historical strength required to be a story worthy of the big screen.
May 10, 2017
interesting look at FDR with a good cast, but, seemed a bit quirky
½ March 27, 2017
Historical drama or comedy doesn't suit this film. It's best viewed as a historical vignette. The aesthetic and acting is good, but the pace is slow and socially anachronistic at times. The nature of FDR and Eleanor's relationship(s) contrasted a little harshly with the story of the Hyde Park picnic, but Murray and Linney played their parts well. Olivia Coleman was also good in her supporting role.
January 30, 2017
Bill Murray's FDR has a fun charm that helped draw me to the movie. But, the film skims over his relationships with Laura Linney's character, Daisy, and his wife Eleanor, as well as Daisy's relationship with FDR's secretary. The "breaking bread," so to speak - hot dog bun, to be more precise - moment with the British king doesn't have the climactic feel it should, considering the importance the film places on the picnic in shaping events leading into WWII. Overall, the movie's okay; not bad, but not good enough to keep me from playing on my laptop.
June 20, 2016
Sometimes you think you're about to watch one movie and you end up watching another. Case in point: Hyde Park. I thought Laura Linney, Bill Murray in a unique performance, and a pivotal moment in history all under one roof would be great! Wrong! This film, though well crafted in its technical presentation, is flawed beyond repair in its characters, attitudes, message, and story. Now I know it's based on a true story so who can argue with history? Well some stories should not be told and this could be one of them. The movie pretty much declares that affairs are OK, that scandalous behavior, immoral conduct, and shameful secrets are all something worthwhile, completely acceptable, and charming when finally shared with the outside world. Yeah, not going to fly with me. I did enjoy the king and queen and their perception of America. I also did enjoy Murray's embodiment of Roosevelt, but most of the mood of the film, it's dialogue, and it's pacing were drawn out, led to nothing, and just filled with absurdities. I know Roosevelt and everyone around him were flawed. I know they did great things and made mistakes. I DO NOT need to be instructed to applaud the mistakes and relish history revealed. Who do you root for here, other than maybe the king? What man and woman wants to be like this - unfaithful, selfish, childish, seemingly spouting wisdom one minute and then turning a blind eye to it another. Who wants to be cheated on? Who desires to be second rate, to be thrown away, to be used? Letters and diaries were found belonging to Daisy and so a movie was made affirming this tragedy. I thought Linney would play Eleanor, I thought this would be about a marriage that supported a presidency. If that's not history then show me history through the lens of Truth, not through the lens of warped morality. Stay away from this movie. Don't let the elegant scenery, cinematography, production design, music, and costumes fool you. It becomes a bore at times, strange in places, not relatable in others, and downright false.
May 31, 2016
Murray is a nuanced master as FDR.
February 15, 2016
I love History, I love a peek behind the curtain too.I don't know how much of this is embellished, but I love seeing the humanity behind the two world powers talking to each other like old friends, without formality, and not concise of the fact they had just met.
I had the occasion to spend time with Bill Murray and his brothers in June 1987 at an after bar party in Mpls, and came away underwhelmed by his humor in person. I never thought of him as this convincing an Actor, he was superb in this
½ February 6, 2016
Great performances but I felt very uncomfortable watching.
½ January 30, 2016
I just don't understand why anyone would suffer through this movie .
January 22, 2016
"Hand Job On Hudson"
December 22, 2015
Pull the string, and it will follow wherever you wish. Push it, and it will go nowhere at all. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
½ December 2, 2015
The kind of outdated love story that shouldn't have space in modern times, and it has the wrong lead character, since her relationship with FDR is the weakest element of the plot and her intrusive narration is always useless and expository.
September 23, 2015
World War II is about to break out. The King and Queen of England are invited to FDR's place for some hot dogs. There's a happy ending for FDR in his car.
August 17, 2015
A charming light-hearted farce that revolves around the eventful weekend picnic of FDR with King George VI when "a special relationship" is forged between the United States and England over the president's messy flirtatious affairs, political agendas and hot dogs.
August 2, 2015
Who knew hot dogs saved the world?!
June 22, 2015
The critics and audience were too harsh in their judgment of this film. Yes, it had problems -- really it was two movies in one -- but it was also witty in places, and Bill Murray was charming.

FDR (Murray) and the King of England are two men with physical limitations (polio and stuttering respectively) who are running countries. A war is brewing and they must forge a friendship before the Nazis strike.

The biggest issue is the choice of the narrator, FDR's mistress (Linney), which has nothing to do with the royal visit. It's a separate story.
½ June 18, 2015
Watchable with a fine quality performance from Murray but just a one time watch.
June 16, 2015
Hyde Park on Hudson is a disappointing film. It is about the love affair between FDR and his distant cousin Margaret "Daisy" Suckley. Bill Murray and Laura Linney give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Roger Michell did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ June 15, 2015
Interesting play with historical fact. Wonderful warmth in Bill Murray's FDR. Think Bertie's stutter was a tad overdone. Great casting for Elanor. All in all, a great drama and fun to watch
June 7, 2015
Drama Is My Favorite Film Genre, 1941's Citizen Kane Is My Favorite Film.