Iron Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Man 3 Reviews

½ September 20, 2017
Iron Man 3 is an interesting film for me. I want to start off by saying I really enjoy it and am always entertained by it. I've never quite understood some of the hate it has received from certain segments of the online movie community. I do think it is an improvement over Iron Man 2. Though I enjoyed that film, it did try to do too much in one movie, in my opinion. Iron Man 3, by contrast, seems like it has less distractions and is more streamlined. I would also argue that it is the Marvel Cinematic Universe film that bears the biggest imprint of its director. I've enjoyed the works of Shane Black so far, and this is distinctly a Shane Black picture. However, because of this, at times the movie feels like it isn't sure of its identity: is it more a Black film, or does it more fit in the MCU brand of filmmaking? I'm not really sure. Also (and SPOILERS for a movie that's been out since 2013), the choice to make the Mandarin essentially a fake-out was a bold move. I understand where those who hated this move come from, but I found it gutsy and unexpected. I will say, the times Ben Kingsley plays the Mandarin "in character" is more compelling as a villain than Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian, which is a shame since still I enjoyed Pearce's performance. Another thing I can't help but feel about this film is how meaningless the ending now seems. Granted, it's not a true criticism as its not fair to judge a movie based on its follow-ups, but the choice to have Tony Stark "retire" as Iron Man feels hollow since he's back in the armor by the beginning of Avengers: Age of Ultron. It does show how much the character has grown since the first film (and Robert Downey Jr.'s performance brilliantly illustrates this), but this choice of plot point seems odd considering Marvel already had plans to have him back in the armor without having to goad him out of retirement (I will say I do think the emphasis on Tony Stark's PTSD stemming from The Avengers was excellently done). Overall, these are elements that I believe can be overlooked, as Iron Man 3 is still an entertaining story.
September 18, 2017
a waste of a good villian but that is what nmarvel does
September 18, 2017
Iron Man 3 is a witty, entertaining adventure with great characters and story!
½ September 9, 2017
Horrible Just Horrible I tough this was going to be a good movie but damn this movie is freaking bad the worst MCU movie ever its bad to Know that Kevin Fiege Ruined the Mandarin in this movie.
3/10 and Rotten mediocre Tomatoes giving it a high recomiendation.
½ September 8, 2017
As well as any other Marvel movie, "Iron Man 3" presents its audience with fantastic action sequences, excellent CGI, a good continuation of its principal character's development and a blastic ending act. Even though, same as many other Marvel movies, "Iron Man 3" has a plot twist ... but not a good one. When you give Ben Kingsley the opportunity of creating one of the best villains in the MCU, you can't dissappoint. Neither Guy Pearce is a bad actor nor the Extremis acr is desinteresting, but Aldrich Killian is not a good antagonist, The Mandarin could be one of the greatest.
½ September 7, 2017
Iron Man 3 was definitely better than the second, and Robert Downey Jr. delivers again, but the villain really ticked me off.
½ September 3, 2017
The worst movie in the Iron Man franchise. The cast was good. The action and special effects were good. The plot was not good especially with how they used the Mandarin.
September 2, 2017
Iron man is back and now he will face the Mandarin and he will have his side kick War Machine to help him can they win find out!
jamrcla
½ August 27, 2017
Iron Man is back to start off phase 2 and it's different to the first two, In this one we have a broken Stark still haunted by the events of what happened in Avengers Assemble, But it doesn't slow the film down, The action is great and the effects are brilliant and it has some very funny humour, The story was ok and there's a great twist that changes the film completely, People will hate it or love it but either way no-one will see it coming, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, Don't expect it to be bigger than Avengers because you will be disappointed but it is better in some ways, You can't afford to miss this.
August 21, 2017
Inizia la seconda fase della Marvel con un film che sembra pių un episodio nella vita di Iron Man che una vera e propria continuazione della serie, visti i pochi collegamenti con i film precedenti. Il film ha uno stile molto particolare e diverso dai canoni dei precedenti capitoli. L'influenza di un regista come Shane Black si č di certo fatta notare, vista la presenza di numerose scene ricche del suo stile unico e divertente. Gli ottimi effetti speciali e buone scene d'azione compensano un villain non incisivo e una storia piuttosto tradizionale. Preso singolarmente Iron Man 3 riesce a coinvolgere e divertire, ma nell'insieme dell'universo Marvel non ha molto da aggiungere alla serie, con un risultato che resta pienamente sufficiente.
½ August 18, 2017
One of those films that seems to get better with each viewing, I have to admit that I was not enamoured at all when I first saw it. Perhaps that had something to do with the section of the movie dedicated to that kid and dealing with Stark's panic attacks; or perhaps it was just the fact that the threat being faced didn't feel very present or, well, threatening. And yes, those things still bring this movie down, but it does a lot of things better than its predecessor (and a few things not quite as well) and it is still entertaining with some great action sequences that make up for a lot of what went wrong.
August 18, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, we just watched Iron Man 3 - the first Summer blockbuster of 2013. What did you think?

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, Iron Man isn t my favorite superhero and so I went into the theater with low-ish expectations. I left surprised at the quality of this movie. Shall we recap?

GREG: There s a new terrorist in town - it s the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley). He s responsible for seemingly random bombings of great power across the United States. Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) is taking these bombings seriously because his bodyguard and good friend Happy Hogan was a victim. Stark lays down the gauntlet telling the Mandarin through the media that this time, it isn t politics that motivates him - it s revenge.

SCOTT: Stark underestimates the Mandarin, who lays waste to Stark s home and nearly kills him, his girlfriend Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), and an old girlfriend with a dangerous secret. Stark travels to Tennessee to examine a bomb site and soon learns that the Mandarin is using maimed U.S. war veterans to test Extremis, a new method of regenerating human limbs that turns people into molten-hot superhumans. The Extremis procedure sometimes fails, causing some veterans to literally explode. These are the Mandarins so-called terrorist bombs, and after Pepper is captured by the Mandarin, Stark s mission is to stop him and his legions of superhumans, and to bring Pepper to safety.

GREG: Stark is plagued by Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to his experiences in New York City (see The Avengers). This is his Missing Inner Quality: he lacks confidence in himself. And this sets up the real thrust of this film. While on one level it s all about catching the Mandarin and stopping him, it s really about Tony Stark competing with the Iron Man suit. The majority of the action in this film surrounds Tony Stark using his intellect and special gifts as an inventor to uncover the basis for the terror attacks.

SCOTT: Greg, you ve identified the central reason why I truly enjoyed this film. Stark shows a vulnerability and a humility that we haven t seen in previous installments of Iron Man. He confesses that Pepper Potts means everything to him, thus revealing a renewed set of priorities in his life. Happy s severe injury is also a staggering blow. We see him reach out in kindness to a young hurting boy. And he has panic attacks. Stark is a man who has been knocked down a few pegs, and quite frankly I enjoyed witnessing him throughout this movie redefine himself and create a somewhat new and softer personal identity. My issue with previous Iron Man movies was Tony Stark s utter macho narcissism. It s refreshing to see him in this film display the kind of vulnerability necessary for him to heal, to grow, and to transform himself.

GREG: The production values were amazing. I saw the film in 3D and it was mind blowing. The Iron Man costume in this film is deconstructed so that individual parts of the suit can fly across the room and attach to Stark s body. It created some very cool effects and some excellent plot twists. Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin was simply brilliant. I bought in to his character completely. The terror propaganda was especially well constructed.

SCOTT: Hearing you say this makes me regret seeing it in 2D. But even in 2D, the film is a visual delight. Most of all, the hero story works to great effect. Our hero Stark is brought by the Mandarin into a special world fraught with danger. We have a sinister (and deceptive) villain, a love interest, helpful sidekicks, and an unlikely mentor in a 10-year-old boy named Harley whose advice ( You re a mechanic - make something ) is exactly what allows Stark to defeat the Mandarin.

GREG: The film isn t perfect. I was most offended by allusions to Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein as mere figureheads to their terror organizations. I don t think most Americans (and certainly most warfighters) saw them as just figureheads. Also, the premise that human beings would become super-strong, regenerative, and explosive by inhaling a medication was more than I could believe. It seemed a plot device more suited for the X-Men than Iron Man.

SCOTT: I was willing to overlook these flaws, if you could call them that. After all, superhero movies take place in fantasy universes with their own peculiar set of physical laws. I rather liked the Extremis effects -- human flesh became red-hot liquid steel and were more than an equal match to any of Stark s suits. But the important thing to me is the hero story, which was utterly satisfying and earned 4 Heroes out of 5. This Tony Stark has me interested in Iron Man again. The film itself was a visual delight and was able to combine humor with action in a very effective way. I give this movie 4 Reels out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: Well I guess you have a better imagination than I do. Even in Science Fiction you have to acknowledge the existing science. I don t see how inhaling any substance can make one s hair fire-retardant. Still this was an exciting beginning to a summer destined to be filled with Science Fiction and Action films (is Summer coming earlier each year?). I give the film a rating of 4 out of 5 Reels. But I think this is the most perfect hero transformation I ve seen in any of the Marvel films. I really liked the emphasis on Tony Stark, the man, as opposed to Iron Man, the suit. I give Tony a full 5 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:
August 15, 2017
This movie has everything. Its funny, its full of action to the brim, it has a solid story, it has plot twists, memorable moments and above all it has a little bit of charm. The acting is superb and Robert Downey Jr rocks once again. Shane Black has saved the Iron man trilogy. After the second movie, I was worried that like the Transformers movies, there would be such a perfect first instalment that the other simply could not reach its level. I was wrong, and gladly too. Iron Man 3 is by far one of the best Marvel movies out there and is a top all rounder. From the one liners to the unfamiliar feeling of desperation for Tony Stark. The fiery AIM's weapons feel like they have been deprived from Terminators, they are fantastic and make great enemies to all of Starks suits, MK1 to 42. Iron Man 3 is an exhilarating joy ride. Watch it.
½ August 13, 2017
It wasn't bad. I didn't really get the whole thing with the fire people. It seemed stupid. They needed a better villain.
August 13, 2017
It was ok...not what I expected. This movie is what Dark Knight 3 was to the franchise. Never really lived up to the hype. Few action scenes mixed with poor use of the Mandarin leaves me unfulfilled.
½ August 13, 2017
A burning pile of garbage.
½ August 11, 2017
This "Iron Man" film is definitely more darker than the previous ones. Fantastic villain. Great slits of comedy throughout. Better technology yet again. Happy has a bigger role in this film (just in the beginning). Kinda got sad when all his robot helper friends died in the house destruction scene
Side thought: How would this guy even function without Jarvis? lol
I like when he crash lands in Minnesota and encounters the boy. I really understood the connection during mid film (great way to tie together the script). "The Mandarin" guy is pretty funny when you find out who he really is. Just about lost my shit when all the suits came to Tony and Rhodey's aid (now we know how fightsbwould gonif everybody were Iron Man). There were some cheesy action parts in the end battle sequence. Pepper is low key a badass. Initializing the "clean slate protocol" almost made me cry haha.
INCREDIBLE ENDING to what is believed to be the last "Iron Man" film starring RDJ.
Overall, the Iron Man films have proved to be the core balance of the newly founded Marvel cinematic universe, bringing together the perfect dose of action, comedy, romance, and moments every fan will remember forever.

End credit scene is Tony Stark going through a therapy session with sleepy Bruce Banner listening to his rambling story.

Stan Lee appears as a judge for a Christmas pageant. (Not mistaken for a lookalike as usual in the "Iron Man" films)
August 9, 2017
After my first viewing, I was disappointed, but that mainly had to do with the infamous twist about 3/4 in. After getting over it and rewatching the movie a few times, IRON MAN 3 is honestly pretty damn fun!
August 7, 2017
There were a lot of problems with this one, and changing the Mandarin character was a complete disaster. I felt sorry for Kingsley because he looked like a fool with a can of beer in his hand. Hollywood has simply become too PC to maintain at kind of credibility.