Jack the Giant Slayer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack the Giant Slayer Reviews

November 14, 2016
A fun ride of the classic fairytale, wonderfully acted and extremely entertaining. However, many mistakes can be easily noticed through out the movie
November 9, 2016
Brian Singer, the man who gave us the X-men movies and the Usual Suspects, now gives us a new take on a classic fairy tale, we all have been dying to see. Well....not really. Don't get me wrong I am really looking forward to the new Disney Beauty and the Beast remake, but I don't sincerely care about this tale. As I expected, this movie didn"t spin the wheel for me. The characters are mweh, the story is bad and the effects are very underwhelming.
The main character is played well by Nicolas Hoult. However his character isn't anything new. He is just your ordinary farmer, who hooks up with the princess, and who later becomes the hero that saves the day. Ewan McGregor also portays the knight really well. This is in my opinion the only real character of the movie. His acting makes his character more interesting, but he is also just the good guy. Furthermore Ian McShane is pretty solid as the king, but for the most part the rest of the cast is just not that memorable. The story also doesn't draw your attention.
But of course the giants will still save the movie....No they don't.. They are all just dumb trolls you can see in any saturndaymorning cartoon on CN. Every piece of dialogue they deliver, sounds like my drunk uncle. The CGI used on the giants is not very good too. It is not awfull, but also not making you believe a real giant is actually standing right in front of you.
There simply isn't that much special to this movie. If you want to see it go ahead, but it will feel like you have watched this movie a hundred times before (not in a good way).
½ November 1, 2016
I enjoyed this film, mainly 'cause I didn't go in expecting a dark, gritty, realistic film. Yeah, the giants could've been done with makeup & forced perspective, but I'm glad they went with more of a fantastical route. I. Was. Entertained.
½ September 20, 2016
When I first saw Jack the Giant Slayer in the theater I was on the edge of my seat whispering 'come on Jack, you can do it'. The story was really easy to get lost in. Now that I have more xp in critiquing movies, I can see why this movie fell a bit short it box office sales. This would have turned out much better if the cgi wasn't so over whelming. The acting falls just short and the villain and his flunky were so obvious in their dasterdly actions, they might as well have been screaming "I'm bad". I shouldn't even classify Roderick as a villain. He doesn't have the charming flare that real villains have. He's just a manipulative @$$hole.
September 17, 2016
Fun, lighthearted adventure yarn.
August 23, 2016
Is a very well done movie
½ August 23, 2016
Entertaining enough for the type of movie it was. Nothing too extraordinary.
August 18, 2016
It's not as bad as it could've been but it's definitely not as good as it could have been either. Think of it as Lord of the rings lite. What took me away from the story was the overuse of special-effects and CGI and obvious use of green Screen. The acting is decent and the movie moves at a good pace. It's watchable and has decent amount of action. It gets better towards the end and it's an OK movie to watch on a rainy day.
August 17, 2016
Muy entretenida y divertida
½ August 3, 2016
Jack the Giant Slayer
definitely not the best effort from Bryan Singer. but hey, it's fun
½ July 25, 2016
It had great actors, But that's all i remember what is good.
The movie itself is very Trash!
Taking the Piss out of Jack in the Beanstalk and they choose to add more and more giants.

Score: 3/10
July 17, 2016
It's a very stupid film.
July 17, 2016
It's rare that such a good movie gets such a crap poster.
June 7, 2016
Visualmente es estupenda y no puedo quejarme del elenco que fue muy acertado. Hay cuestiones que se dejan pasar desapercibido como el hecho
que Jack está demasiado peinado como para ser un campesino labrador y el toque divertido de Stanley Lucci hace que se vuelva ridículo. Pero la historia no es lo suficiente atractiva para llenar los cabos sueltos, tan solo muestran la premisa general.
jamrcla
June 2, 2016
Another fairytale turned film with an adult ish plot, It wasn't great but wasn't bad the first half hour dragged with not allot happening and when the pace does pick up it's good but soon slows down again, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, The final quarter of the film was pretty good with some great effects but it's all been done before, The giants looked great and the story was good, It's just about worth watching but it's nothing new.
½ May 16, 2016
'Fe-fi-fo-fum! I smell the blood of an Englishman'

Yet another famous children's fairytale gets the big screen treatment but can you make a entire film out of a rather short and rather simple fable? The other question is which fable is this film supposedly based upon? Jack and the Beanstalk? or Jack the Giant Killer? Both are very different yet this film merges the two or so it seems. At the same time the films animated intro felt very much like a rip of the 'Hellboy 2' intro, whilst the entire plot about this magical crown felt like a rip off 'Lord of the Rings'.

This whole idea felt very much like a one trick pony to me, that trick simply being the excuse to show huge CGI giants eating people and going on a rampage, and that's it. The rest of the film felt so utterly pointless it was almost laughable. Half the film seems to be based on the beanstalk fairytale with the second half based around the giant killer fable but at the same time neither are remotely accurate to the original sources. So why not just make a completely independent giant fantasy?

Everything about this just felt like a misfire to me. The casting was poor, Nicholas Hoult is just a very average actor with a very odd haircut (what is going on with that parting?! had the same stupid cut for 'Warm Bodies'). Eleanor Tomlinson as the Princess was so very bland, not particularly attractive and not particularly useful in any way, whilst Ewan McGregor seemed to be doing his weak ass Jedi thing all over again. Only decent performance came from the ever reliable Tucci. Overall the characters weren't really developed much and there was a distinct lack of a really bad baddie.

On top of that the effects weren't even that good! the giants looked exactly like what they were, big CGI giants. It looks like they're trying to make them appear realistic but not entirely, but they look awful. Especially the two headed giant leader with that shitty Gollum-like head, what the hell! giant fail there folks (see what I did there heh). Plus why are most of the giants Irish? am I missing something there? and why aren't there any female giants? how does this race keep going? am I being too picky?

Even the beanstalk looked pretty naff frankly. The only thing that looked good was the CGI landscapes and the giant island in the sky, but as usual way too much reliance on CGI. There seemed to be many giant waterfalls going over the edge of the giant island, where exactly does all that water go??

Bottom line this just feels like a jump on that fairytale action flick bandwagon we have seen recently. All the usual big CGI battles, stunts, camera angles etc...the same recycled crud we've seen over and over again. Predictable as usual in that boring modern Hollywood cookie cutter fashion. The plot is thinner than a catwalk model after she's just stepped out of the toilet and to make matters worse the CGI effects are pretty terrible. So you can't even call this a sharp looking updated piece of crap, its just crap.

Oh and the final twist at the end is useless. I mean really, is that suppose to be clever? gee...errr...genius. And while I'm at it, the films title is 'Jack the Giant Slayer', many giants get killed here but I believe Jack only kills one, so he doesn't slay much then.
May 11, 2016
Looks like Singer wanted to make an R rated fairy tale but the studio got cold feet
April 17, 2016
Solid, fairy tale fun. The giants are cool.
½ April 10, 2016
A generally well made and enjoyable film. It manages to avoid the hackneyed dialogue of most films (I don't think there was a single one-liner), and the actors are good.