Jackie Brown Reviews

• Aug 05, 2020

The most underrated Tarantino movie. Jackie Brown is an incredible movie, not better than Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction but it's a great film. It has humor, and awesome performances like Samuel L. Jackson or Pam Grier. Just an awesome movie!

• Jul 20, 2020

There’s a general hip vibe that I get from all Tarantino movies that is almost exclusive to him. Many other directors have tried aping that style, and end up making films that are annoying and have that aura of “thinking they are cool” rather than actually being cool. Jackie Brown is more proof that Tarantino has a talent for walking that tightrope and pulling off the right tone. I think part of the genius lies in casting. With someone else in the lead role, Jackie Brown could come across as overly manipulative and mean-spirited. But Pam Grier has a charm that makes her actions seem justified and righteous. Samuel L. Jackson is also the perfect guy for the most dangerous man in the movie. He can have a number of aggressive rants without feeling like a ridiculous parody of a villain, and also laces those rants with a charm that makes it clear how he could become a successful businessman. This quality continues in the supporting cast as well, like Robert Forster, Michael Keaton, and even Chris Tucker. Despite all the positives this film has going for it, I had some issues with Jackie Brown. For starters, it feels a bit slow-paced and long. I don’t typically notice the length of a Tarantino movie because I’m always on the edge of my seat waiting to see what will come next, but I was approaching boredom here. Also, I found Robert De Niro to be out of place or underused in the film. For a long time he’s just a pointless character that tags along, and by the time he does anything of importance, he’s out of the film seconds later. It also felt at times like Tarantino thought the plot was more clever than it was in reality. During one of the biggest scenes we have to rewind 3 times to show all the different angles of what happened, when I figured it out the first time through, so the movie was just idling in place for no good reason. There’s no denying that Jackie Brown is a well-made film with some great moments, but it was lacking that extra special punch that it needed to knock me off my feet like some other Tarantino movies have done in the past.

• Jul 20, 2020

Robert De Niro having sex is hilarious enough -- and so true to life -- that it's worth the two-plus hours of the movie to watch that scene. That scene is done like real men do it and unlike any Tarantino film ever made: It's very short.

• Jul 11, 2020

This movie is utterly slow and boring. Not even the action is entertaining and relies on a thin plot line.

• Jul 07, 2020

Great work from all involved especially Forester and Grier. It is a great, and often funny thriller, added points for being tied to Out of Sight.

• May 30, 2020

Tarantino's weakest efforts are the forgettables: Grindhouse - Death Proof, This, From Dusk Till Dawn, Four Rooms, Crimson Tide, True Romance, Sin City, and Natural Born Killers. That being said, they're all extremely fun and worth watching! There's a really good chunk around 2/3rds in where people start dying around the mall, but the rest in pretty boring for a mainline writing/directing effort. (Fun Fact! If you like this one, watch "Out Of Sight" by Steven Soderburgh who did the Oceans films, Contagion, Side Effects, Logan Lucky, Magic Mike, Haywire, High Flying Bird, Unsane, etc. because it's connected to this one!) 8/10.

• May 28, 2020

I seldom find a 5-star. This is it. A mystery thriller that doesn't cut corners with unbelievable twists that don't make sense, while maintaining a tight, yet complex story throughout. An excellent cast, well directed. A long movie, that never loses it's touch, rich with character development.

• May 26, 2020

Overlooked after the Pulp Fiction whirlwind, Jackie Brown stands out as a QT film that doesn't weaken with repeated viewings. Quite the opposite. Without the kitsch of his other works, QT allows the actors to fully develop their characters and pulls the viewer into Jackie's plan. Brilliant!

• May 16, 2020

Everyone in this movie gives a good performances. If you know Tarantino movies then you know his style. Jackie Brown is the only movie I feel that differs from the rest of the Tarantino movies. As in it is the most normal out of his movies. The movie is little slow going but it builds up the suspense is great way. A must watch for any Tarantino fan.

• May 02, 2020

As far as Tarentino goes it's slow-paced but still entertaining. The acting is excellent and while the story somewhat frustrating proves to be a fun finish to another fun character arc.