JCVD (Van Dammage) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

JCVD (Van Dammage) Reviews

January 29, 2017
JCVD is a breath of fresh air. It's darkly funny, down-to-earth, and full of heart. Van Damme gives a brilliant, damn near Oscar-worthy performance, which a statement I never thought I'd say. He's at his most honest and vulnerable here; in one scene, he pulls back the curtains completely into his psyche and it's heartbreaking. JCVD is a beautiful film and proves that, not only is Van Damme an immensely talented martial artist, he's become a terrific actor as well.
½ January 8, 2017
Aging action star returns to Belgium a broken man fresh from losing a custody case for his daughter in Hollywood. Upon his arrival, the bad news continues with a disastrous ATM encounter that leads him into the bank and straight into a robbery situation, for which he's about to be blamed. Soon, crowds grow outside on the street, with the cops quick to point the finger at him and his fans cheering for his release.
½ December 22, 2016
Good interpretation of a tired old Van Damme honoring his career in a different movie from its kind
August 9, 2016
81%
Saw this on 8/8/16
In this semi-biographical film Jean Claude Van Damme acts up a storm and his monologue about his past life is extremely heartfelt. Though the film takes some time to be engaging, it gets entertaining and unpredictable as time passes.
December 25, 2015
All is not well for former box office breaking badass Jean Claude Van Damme. The roles are getting crummier, the money is rapidly disappearing, and his own daughter is embarrassed that she has to go through life as his daughter, so she flocks to his ex-wife. Van Damme leaves Hollywood and decides to start again in Belgium, his home country. But he ends up caught in the midst of a "Dog Day Afternoon" bank robbery, where he becomes the unwitting face of the whole operation due to a series of misunderstandings. He's soon making headlines around the world, and there are scores of Belgians outside the post office cheering his name as he tries to figure out a way to not only get himself and the hostages out alive, but try to unravel the tangled ball of confusion and pain that has become his life. Roger Ebert said that Van Damme's six minute monologue was a low point. I have never disagreed more strongly with one of my heroes in my entire life. In those six minutes, Van Damme muses on life, love, and the pursuit of happiness with the grace and poise of a classically trained Shakespearean actor. He thinks, he questions, he cries, he conjures up memories both good and bad....all without a single karate chop or machine gun blast. Is Steven Seagal ever going to do that? I think not. Of course, this is for the most part pure fiction. Sort of like "Seinfeld" if Seinfeld was played by one of the most polarizing figures in Hollywood, loved by some, hated by many because of his films. This is a thinking man's examination of what happens when action film stars age. It is a most unusual adventure, but you'll certainly never forget it.
August 18, 2015
JCVD is a wee gem of a movie, well worth watching for Jean Claude Van Damme giving the best performance of his career.
March 22, 2015
this is the great history movie..
½ February 9, 2015
Van Damme delivers. An interesting movie giving the inside view on the day in the life of a celebrity in hard times who is thrust into an extraordinary situation. Well worth the watch.
January 18, 2015
Inteligente film , donde la realidad se cruza con la fantasìa y ocurre lo inimaginable Van Damme sabe actuar, recomendable.
January 3, 2015
Loved this. Totally original, never really seen anything like it. Certainly the ballsiest thing he's ever done, and his best performance. Shocked.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Not quite Van Damme's usually roles in this drama crime movie. He actually play the role as himself "JCVD" which seemed a bit odd at first but it turn out to be a rather nice movie. So if you want to see Van Damme in a more serious role and movie with better acting you might want to see this one.
December 29, 2014
I thought i would like this film more...
The concept is great, I love the fact that the story begins in the real world and probably a somewhat realistic situation, then goes off into an alternate future type plot. but I found myself caring very little for the whole hostage/police negotiation story, as well as every character that's not JCVD (and maybe his agent). maybe with a few modifications this could have bene not just an unique, but also a great film. the lighting scheme gets a little tiresome at the end in the post office.

Still, it is unique and well-made enough to be enjoyed. And JCVD's performance is indeed commendable.
½ November 26, 2014
All of you who grew up watching Blood Sport or Kickboxers must see this one. We were crazy about his round kicks and muscles, but never was a big fan of his acting. This is the movie where he proves it wrong. He can act really really good.
October 25, 2014
Pretty good picture with greatest performance of Van Damme, good camera work.
October 9, 2014
I've never seen Van Damme give a genuine, heartfelt performance before this film. Don't get me wrong, I love his stuff. His usual work is what you expect in muscle-bound, 'turn your brain off' action movies. This was different. Introspective and borrowing heavily from his real life struggles, this film gives Van Damme the chance to give a genuinely touching performance. It's not his most entertaining or fun movie, but it's his most complete performance as a genuine actor, rather than as a martial artsy action god.
September 29, 2014
This experimental meta-film gives action star Jean-Claude Van Damme a very real, very raw humanity. JCVD is deeply flawed, but it does have some intriguing ideas.
September 3, 2014
lo mejor de lo mejor!
August 26, 2014
Jean-Claude giving a performance a sad but uplifting action drama that doesn't know what message its giving, but with such a performance from JCVD that it is forgiven. A stunning slice of legacy for the inspirational Belgian actor and material artist.
August 15, 2014
Obra prima do cinema pós-moderno. Apenas Van Damme poderia fazer esse filme, nesse momento de sua carreira, tendo vivido o que viveu.
May 18, 2014
Wow. Unique. Van damme's best performance!