Johnny English - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny English Reviews

May 23, 2017
Johnny English can be funny when it wants to and Rowan Atkinson seems awfully committed to the role. The Robbie Williams song is oddly amusing as well although I wouldn't put it on a Top 10 list of theme songs from soundtracks of non-James Bond spy movies. However, the short runtime means that there isn't as much room for laughs as there should be whilst the titular character's ineptitude involving unintentionally making a spectacle of himself at a funeral and later at a hospital can be more facepalm worthy. It can work when it wants to but the action sequences aren't quite as entertaining as they should be. An occasionally humorous albeit very uneven spy spoof. I'd say stick with Austin Powers but I haven't watched any one of the films yet and besides, even if I did watch it prior to me doing this review, one of the Super Reviewers beat me to it. Can't win them all, man, can't win them all.
May 17, 2017
I'd love to see a 'by country' breakdown of these reviews. My prediction: if you're American, you're likely to hate this; if you're from pretty much anywhere else, you'll find it hilarious. This is a magnificently funny, witty, and clever movie and Rowan Atkinson is not only born for the role but would have made a good Bondi!
½ May 3, 2017
I thought it was really funny when I saw it.
½ February 20, 2017
The film delivers a few good laughs and ok acting, but that doesn't cover for the unoriginal plot, overdone clichés and cringey moments, however, if you want a family film that everyone can enjoy, I recommend it.
½ December 30, 2016
Love it, hilarious , funny
½ December 15, 2016
One of my favourites, Rowan Atkinson always makes me laugh
½ November 27, 2016
Despite a few funny moments, Johnny English mostly makes you groan and cringe.
½ October 31, 2016
"Johnny English" is a hysterically funny, prototypical spy film spoof. The titular hero is monumentally, no-holds-barred daft and that results in countless hilariously awkward situations. Rowan Atkinson is just perfect for the role and is surrounded by a very fitting cast. Overall "Johnny English" is very enjoyable and its more than fair share of iconic moments makes up for the occasional misstep.
October 7, 2016
It's a funny film that I think is very underrated. If this hadn't come after Austin Powers this would be much better received by fans and critics alike. Atkinson is funny and Malkovich is brilliant as the villain. There were quite a few scenes were I was almost in tears with laughter. Although the plot wasn't always as well knit together as it could have been but still a solid entry into the parody spy genre.
½ August 6, 2016
Everyone loves Rowan Atkinson , but the story and the accidents that happen in this film are far from logical
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
A quite funny spy spoof film, Rowan Atkinson plays a good part, Silly in places but worth watching.
½ July 21, 2016
"Johnny English" (essentially "Mr. Bean Becomes a Secret Agent") is everything that you would expect from a Rowan Atkinson spy film. When a bomb blows up all of England's competent MI7 agents, the only agent left alive is Johnny English. Few things go right during his missions throughout the film and when they do, it is usually by accident. Even though Atkinson is best known for his classic Mr. Bean character, I think that his physical comedy is even funnier when paired with his dry delivery of dialogue. Plus, there are several moments when you can't help but picture Zazu from "The Lion King" delivering the lines! From his fight with an imaginary assailant to his slurred dialogue after accidentally drugging himself , Atkinson's comedic genius breathes life into this otherwise run of the mill spy parody. One of the most unexpected pieces of this puzzle is that Natalie Imbruglia is a surprisingly good actress. I assumed that her fame began and ended with her one-hit wonder song "Torn" but after seeing her act, I would love to see her in more films. I also have to throw John Malkovich's name out there because he always makes a great villain! I appreciated the use of Handel's "Zadok the Priest" to give the coronation scene a sense of authenticity and Robbie Williams' song "A Man for All Seasons" left me in a great mood during the ending credits. The critics may not have liked "Johnny English" but this goofball spy parody is an enjoyable break from dramatic movies that take themselves too seriously.
May 25, 2016
It was ok. I laughed a couple times but the movie was more stupid then anything. The plot was interesting but not very exciting.
May 23, 2016
There are some great sight gags, and Mr. Bean does some of his usual antics. But by the end, even Malcovic's outrageous French accent runs a little thin.
½ May 17, 2016
While not the greatest Bond spoof, Johnny English has enough witty lines and dramatic moments to make it memorable, as well as some very nice stunts.
May 9, 2016
Occasionally funny send up of spy flicks.
April 7, 2016
This film is hilarious :D so under-rated, would defo recommend !
½ April 6, 2016
Really pants film, silly in an unimaginable way, like as example of you was going to be crowned the following day you wouldn't spend the night before in grace, a different country.. ð¤" haven't watched this since I was younger and thought I would enjoy reliving this. I was deeply disappointed. Maybe I'm looking too much into this but it's just crap..
½ March 4, 2016
Yet another James Bond satire but with one redeeming fator, Rowan Atkinson, who's jokes were pretty funny. You've got to get inside the ego of J.E. to get that the jokes are not just slapstick but actually all about him trying to convince everybody that he can do James Bond even though he can't and he knows it. I know a few people like this in real life, they are not so funny.