Johnny English - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Love it, hilarious , funny
½ December 15, 2016
One of my favourites, Rowan Atkinson always makes me laugh
½ November 27, 2016
Despite a few funny moments, Johnny English mostly makes you groan and cringe.
½ October 31, 2016
"Johnny English" is a hysterically funny, prototypical spy film spoof. The titular hero is monumentally, no-holds-barred daft and that results in countless hilariously awkward situations. Rowan Atkinson is just perfect for the role and is surrounded by a very fitting cast. Overall "Johnny English" is very enjoyable and its more than fair share of iconic moments makes up for the occasional misstep.
October 7, 2016
It's a funny film that I think is very underrated. If this hadn't come after Austin Powers this would be much better received by fans and critics alike. Atkinson is funny and Malkovich is brilliant as the villain. There were quite a few scenes were I was almost in tears with laughter. Although the plot wasn't always as well knit together as it could have been but still a solid entry into the parody spy genre.
½ August 6, 2016
Everyone loves Rowan Atkinson , but the story and the accidents that happen in this film are far from logical
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
A quite funny spy spoof film, Rowan Atkinson plays a good part, Silly in places but worth watching.
½ July 21, 2016
"Johnny English" (essentially "Mr. Bean Becomes a Secret Agent") is everything that you would expect from a Rowan Atkinson spy film. When a bomb blows up all of England's competent MI7 agents, the only agent left alive is Johnny English. Few things go right during his missions throughout the film and when they do, it is usually by accident. Even though Atkinson is best known for his classic Mr. Bean character, I think that his physical comedy is even funnier when paired with his dry delivery of dialogue. Plus, there are several moments when you can't help but picture Zazu from "The Lion King" delivering the lines! From his fight with an imaginary assailant to his slurred dialogue after accidentally drugging himself , Atkinson's comedic genius breathes life into this otherwise run of the mill spy parody. One of the most unexpected pieces of this puzzle is that Natalie Imbruglia is a surprisingly good actress. I assumed that her fame began and ended with her one-hit wonder song "Torn" but after seeing her act, I would love to see her in more films. I also have to throw John Malkovich's name out there because he always makes a great villain! I appreciated the use of Handel's "Zadok the Priest" to give the coronation scene a sense of authenticity and Robbie Williams' song "A Man for All Seasons" left me in a great mood during the ending credits. The critics may not have liked "Johnny English" but this goofball spy parody is an enjoyable break from dramatic movies that take themselves too seriously.
May 25, 2016
It was ok. I laughed a couple times but the movie was more stupid then anything. The plot was interesting but not very exciting.
May 23, 2016
There are some great sight gags, and Mr. Bean does some of his usual antics. But by the end, even Malcovic's outrageous French accent runs a little thin.
½ May 17, 2016
While not the greatest Bond spoof, Johnny English has enough witty lines and dramatic moments to make it memorable, as well as some very nice stunts.
May 9, 2016
Occasionally funny send up of spy flicks.
April 7, 2016
This film is hilarious :D so under-rated, would defo recommend !
½ April 6, 2016
Really pants film, silly in an unimaginable way, like as example of you was going to be crowned the following day you wouldn't spend the night before in grace, a different country.. " haven't watched this since I was younger and thought I would enjoy reliving this. I was deeply disappointed. Maybe I'm looking too much into this but it's just crap..
½ March 4, 2016
Yet another James Bond satire but with one redeeming fator, Rowan Atkinson, who's jokes were pretty funny. You've got to get inside the ego of J.E. to get that the jokes are not just slapstick but actually all about him trying to convince everybody that he can do James Bond even though he can't and he knows it. I know a few people like this in real life, they are not so funny.
½ February 27, 2016
I generally only do these reviews for films that I've just seen for the first time but I'll make the occasional exception for ones that I have not seen since they first came out. Johnny English is one of those movies that I saw one time many, many moons ago and I've always wanted to see it again. I'm glad I made that decision, as this definitely deserves a higher rating than it currently holds among both critics and audience scores. The jokes very rarely fell flat, and I was genuinely, audibly laughing at parts of this film. Rowan Atkinson is one of the great comedic geniuses of all-time and while Johnny English can't match the greatness of his finest work, Mr. Bean, it still provides a solid hour and a half of good-natured entertainment. Turn your brain off, sit back and enjoy a very underrated gem from the brilliant mind of one of comedy's best.
January 12, 2016
No inicio meio ruim, mas depois vai melhorando.
½ December 23, 2015
Some good and original ideas. But why scatological jokes again? Only englishes can find it funny. Possibly it is homer-sexual jokes because it has the same effect as two guys kissing. Blech! Otherwise, the whole thing made a lot of sense. The villain, Pascal Sauvage, had a great plan that could probably work in real life: make an island a prison. The englishes did it many times, notably with Australia. So, I was rather disappointed when Sauvage lost it in the end. And like a big crybaby, as if kings were like that. The chase scene was original. The girl is really beautiful. Malkovitch was great with a good accent, except at the very end. Really, the film would have been better if the french had won. Then a rematch would have been obligated, etc.
½ December 19, 2015
Fell in love with it as a kid, and still delivers now
November 9, 2015
WHAT I LIKED: An amusing take on spy spoofs, 'Johnny English' is a lot of fun. This is mainly thanks to Rowan Atkinson who takes his every role onto the next level
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It suffers from an over-abundance of silliness that makes it so unbelieveable you occassionaly struggle to laugh (for example, the entire ending sequence) You have no care for the mission or the character as it lacks overall conviction
VERDICT: A funny but mostly ridiculous spy spoof