Joseph: King of Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joseph: King of Dreams Reviews

May 15, 2016
Almost as ambitious as The Prince of Egypt, DreamWorks Animation here produces a film the pales in comparison in storytelling, visuals, music, and emotional heart. However, it actually stacks up ok within the normally abysmal direct-to-video market. The highlight is the powerful and moving song 'You Know Better Than I", which resonates long after the final frames of this film (and saving it from being wholly unremarkable).
½ November 22, 2015
It's just an excellent movie. It could be two hours-long drama, which will make you sleep for sure, but it happens to be an excellent movie that can touch the audience none the worse than two hours - long drama based on the same screenplay.
½ October 25, 2015
A much more controlled, toned down, and educational version of the stage musical, which some might call boring. Whereas the well known version is full of classic singalong tunes, a wealth of dance, and eccentric characters, this is very flat in comparison. It has a much more religious undertone to it that you could see being played throughout a Sunday school class, with the original being judged as too raunchy. It's still very watchable, but with only a few unrecognisable songs in, it feels like the fun factor has just been removed. The underlying backbone of the story is still there, which allows us to relate to it, and it even focuses on Joseph having a wife and family, which I've previously been unaware of. As always, the animation is flawless, but the voice overs are unrecognisable, despite the lead role being taken by Ben Affleck. It's barely repeatable to be honest, but I do think it has been successful in what it wanted to achieve, and that's to give the fundamental story a serious depiction on our screens. For that, you must give it credit, but it's hardly an entertainment production, unless you have a very restricted social life.
½ July 12, 2015
You'll stand apart from other men.

Joseph is the youngest of many brothers. His father favors him and makes his brothers jealous. One inauspicious day the brothers sell him as a slave. He is purchased and taught to become an elite slave until he comes into power. One day table's turn and his brothers fall on his doorstep begging for supplies to survive. He will need to determine how he will move forward with his family, seek revenge or forgive and forget.

"You are a miracle child."

Rob LaDuca, director of The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, Jasmine's Enchanted Tales, and Mickey's Great Clubhouse Hunt, delivers Joseph the Dreamer. The storyline for this is well delivered and paced. The plot is very predictable and straight forward and the animation is okay.

"You have to give a little more than you take."

I came across this some time ago on Netflix and added it to the queue to watch with my daughter. We finally watched it and it was just okay. I think she was in and out of interest. I thought the story and execution was above average but this is far from a must see. I'd only watch this if nothing better wasn't available.

"He'll do."

Grade: C+/B-
½ April 6, 2015
Ben Affleck stars in DreamWorks' straight-to-video follow-up to The Prince of Egypt, Joseph: King of Dreams. Based on the biblical account, the story follows Joseph (a child of prodigy), whose brothers grow jealous of him and sell him into slavery, but Joseph's ability to interpret dreams soon draws the attention of the Pharaoh. Unfortunately, the animation quality is really a step down; though it keeps to the same design style and coloring as The Prince of Egypt. The music too is rather unremarkable, and is at best functional. Suffering from a clear lack of ambition, Joseph: King of Dream is a disappointing and mediocre animated film.
½ March 31, 2015
Beautifully animated and well-voiced.
½ March 13, 2015
Joseph: King Of Dreams is the straight to DVD sequel to the critical and box office hit Prince Of Egypt and it unfortunately pales in comparison to the latter. While its premise follows an equally fascinating Biblical story, it's execution is anything but spectacular. The animation, while strong at times, looks like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon when viewed next to its predecessor, as well as its hammy musical numbers. If it were to stand alone it may fare better, but it's impossible to not remember a much better animated Bible story while viewing it.
February 24, 2015
if you liked the prince of Egypt you'll definitely like this
November 15, 2014
Love the story of Joseph in the bible... The movie is almost attached to the original.
October 12, 2014
(You gotta be kidding me) Why is this movie filled with a lot of stupid things like the songs, first, music is a lot of dumb kind of FUN STUFF with chaciaos making a big plan to see a dumb guy who like his stupid coat. I saw it on NETFLIX and a. it's horrible and b. the songs give me the jeebies. So, I'd give it a one or two, but OF COURSE a ONE for the movie. I hated it than:

Prince of Egypt
Road to El Dorado
Sinbad: Seven Seas

I forgot:

Story - 1/10
Animation - 5/10
Characters - 4/10
Songs - 1/10

Overall - 2/10
½ September 21, 2014
Animation is sometimes catastrophic (the lipsic...) and songs are horrible. And despites a boring plot, with a dreadful opening and ending, the social ascension of Joseph in ancient Egypt is quite interesting.
½ June 14, 2014
No matter how this story is portrayed I can't not side with the brothers. The basic message is it doesn't matter how hard you work, it only matters if you were born special.
½ June 6, 2014
I enjoy it because its my childhood.....however it has some faults. The voice acting is pretty bad, Affleck cant hold a movie in my opinion, they make Jacob so unlikeable, they gave the Brothers nooooooo character, the animation is a little sloppy, and the score sucks. Is there redeeming quality to this yes James Eckhouse as Potiphar both the voice acting and character is fantastic. But if you really want to see the story of Joseph................see the Donny Osmond musical lol
½ May 14, 2014
Wasn't blown away, but it was animated in some cool ways for the dream sequences. Plus I liked the way they drew the cat.
May 8, 2014
Look, I know it's a direct to video, but this film takes everything that made its predecessor a timeless classic and stabs it in the face. The main hero is a boring wuss, the morals of the father Jacob are highly suspect and the film is just poor quality all around. It's not as terrible as some of the Disney sequels to their classic films, but where as those sequels just reinforced how timeless the original Disney films were, this one harms the reputation of an underrated film by giving the impression that these Dreamworks bible films are shallow and pandering.
April 25, 2014
Come on, we already have Prince of Egypt.
April 3, 2014
A Very good film for young audiences! I loved watching it with my kids, now I got it for my grandkids!
½ March 31, 2014
Not as good as prince of Egypt, yet still a worthy biblical adaptation.
½ March 13, 2014
Nice movie with an incredible story, reminiscent of "The Prince of Egypt".
February 22, 2014
Though obviously its production values can't match its theatrical predecessor, Joseph - King of Dreams still tells a good story and tells it well and manages a good deal of heart.