Lady Bird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lady Bird Reviews

Page 1 of 68
August 19, 2018
Boring saccharine, unconvincing schmaltz. It owes me 90 minutes of my life that could have been more profitably spent playing patience on my laptop. I
½ August 18, 2018
couldn't get through it
August 16, 2018
10/10 An insightful dramedy about being a teenager and the complicated mother-daughter relationship within it, Lady Bird succeeds on every level.
½ August 16, 2018
Went in thinking this was going to be about Ladybird Johnson. Entertaining coming of age film.
August 16, 2018
Lady Bird is a touching and raw story that accurately represents adolescence and how crazy the life of a teenager can be, from both the parents and the teenager's point of view. Its light and funny pace makes you sympathize with the characters while it slightly touches some controversial topics without going to deep, but still enough to make you think, feel and even relate to it.
August 16, 2018
La adolescencia es un momento muy difícil en la vida de cualquier persona. Es una etapa de transición donde se deja de ser un niño y comienza a independizarse y sentar las bases para la adultez. Lady Bird trata sobre esto. La búsqueda de una identidad propia, la rebeldía, el salto que implica el comienzo de una carrera universitaria lejos de su familia, las primeras experiencias sexuales, la amistad y sobre todo la relación de una hija con su madre en el periodo más difícil de su vida. Es una historia genuina, muy cercana para todos lo que tuvieron que transitar ese periodo ya sea con mayores o menores dificultades, o para quienes aún lo están transitando y sin dudas pueden sentirse identificados.
La película trata sobre Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson (Saoirse Ronan) es una estudiante de 17 años que cursa el último año en una escuela secundaria católica en los suburbios de Sacramento, California, en 2002. Ella vive en una familia de clase media con algunos problemas económicos mientras se encuentra en busca de universidades fuera del estado que le permitan desarrollarse tal cual es, pero que a su vez la familia pudiera pagarla.
El guion logra una llegar a una armonía pocas veces vista en este estilo de películas "coming-of-age", es decir, aquellas que se centran en un crecimiento más interno que externo del protagonista, y no recae en ningún momento a un drama innecesario o golpe bajo. La película es simple (pero profunda) por sí misma y se deja ver y sentir sin necesidad de exagerar nada.
Son gracias a estos detalles por lo cual logró obtener la nominación a mejor película a los premios Oscar, así como también a mejor guion original y dirección, trasformando a Greta Gerwig en la quinta mujer nominada a mejor directora en la historia de los premios.
También recibió las nominaciones de Saoirse Ronan a mejor actriz protagónico y de Laurie Metcalf (quien interpreta a la madre) a mejor actriz de reparto, destacando esta relación de amor (por momento amor-odio) entre madre e hija que efectivamente es el corazón de la película.
½ August 16, 2018
Overall, this is a film that feels very real, with characters we can relate too (big or small). The story had me curious to know Lady Bird's path in life until the credits rolled. The script work is awesome with key characters and it's timed well. Lady Bird's script work never feels poorly delivered. It should come as no surprise that Lady Bird comes highly recommend to view.
- Finesse Movie Reviews
½ August 14, 2018
8.14.18 library dvd @ home w/SH, R&J
½ August 12, 2018
I didn't connect with this at all. Reminded me too much of Juno, another movie I never understood the hype around.
½ August 11, 2018
2.5 out of 5 stars
This movie hinges its success on two compelling performances (Ronan and Metcalf), a solid supporting cast, stylistic shot making and decent script. The story itself is pretty unoriginal for the most part and thematically a mess. There's too much that's attempting to be explored - religion, teenage angst, class structure, parent-child relationships, sex, first love - that it doesn't actually strike a resonant chord on any of these angles. I hand it to Ronan. What a performance! I wanted to strangle her.
½ August 10, 2018
This may have been one of the worst, if not the worst film that I have ever seen. there is no trail that the main character has to overcome, and certainly no sign of a plot. it simply follows a lying, unloyal, complaining, boring main character who experiences no change, dealing with issues she puts herself into, so you don't even feel any type of sympathy for her at all. I don't know how this movie has won the awards that it has, clearly the critics have all cheese grated their corneas then tried to watch and rate this. the entire movie has you saying to yourself "where the hell is this going?" until the very end when you then ask yourself...."where the hell is this going?"
½ August 9, 2018
Very few things can take me back to 2003 like this movie
August 8, 2018
The film was great. I did understand the message that the film gave me, but I didn't find it too great, just because im not into movies like that...but overall im giving it a positive rating! ; )
½ August 8, 2018
This is a movie I heard nothing about but I am glad I found out about it. The fact that Greta Gerwig directed this movie is surprising and I'm excited to see what she will direct in the future. This is a wonderful movie with realistic characters, great performances, and dialogue that felt so natural I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was improvised cause it felt so real.
August 6, 2018
Beautifully acted but ultimately unrewarding coming-of-age story. Gerwig's script has moments of humor, clarity and melancholy. By the end however, the viewer is left with the feeling that it was all a bit frivolous.
August 5, 2018
A forgettable movie with obvious cliche LA behaviour placed in a small city. Beautifully shot and with a remarcable sense of chromatics.
½ August 5, 2018
I just couldn't connect to it.
½ August 5, 2018
Really wasn't what I was expecting...although I didn't really expect much.
August 4, 2018
While relatable at times, this movie felt a little too cliche to be the standout film that it was during the 2017 awards season. Saoirse Ronan's performance, while committed, felt over-acted at times and far too scripted. Her character's dramatization of her own life became very tired and made it difficult to like and connect with her story, despite the relatability of the situations she endures throughout the film. The scene towards the end when Lady Bird reads her mothers letters could have been far more impactful but fell a bit flat. Because this story covers so much, it became hard to place any real importance on certain life events as they came and went so quickly in the storyline (although I can see the argument that that is how these things happen in real life). Overall, I wasn't blown away by the story.
August 4, 2018
The configuration of the film is clear, like other juvenile period types of film such as "Boyhood". However, with depicting a normal, ordinary high school life of most of the girl did, it evince a lot of tearful memories, and it invokes much introspecting about what things or events shaped us as what we are. The vicissitudes in the screen do not only touch the heart of most of the girls, especially for who underwent a lot of big changes in or after high school, but also clinch with people's adversities and struggling of running out the naïve and self-center juvenile period. These periods do shape us, even in this time, and become one part of quintessential humanity in our life. We were irrational that left the most stable road (study) behind; we were emotional that to do anything for a person we love; we were opinionated that everything we did was right and thoughtful. These irrational, emotional and opinionated are not advocated or even allowed in the adult's world. Though our societies might protect human in some ways, "mistake" always bring people a self-reminder: a reminder about what you really looking for.
Page 1 of 68