Reviews

• Sep 17, 2021

Larry Crowne is a harmless, inoffensive comedy that has a likable cast, good chemistry between its stars and some good laughs, including an amusing running gag where George Takei confiscates our titular protagonist's cell phone, that doesn't take any risks and has quite the "going-through-the-motions" feel to it. Honestly, the most surprising thing to come out of this film was my learning that Nia Vardalos wrote the script alongside Hanks. I know his production company helped with My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but this is a completely different movie and I was surprised to see her name in the opening credits. What can I say? I can't always keep up with everybody's filmography on IMDb and Wikipedia. The main reason I'm not that harsh towards Tom Hanks' second directorial effort is because I don't have as much of a problem with harmless movies as much as others do. Granted, this is a fairly standard comedy and there are better movies out there with a similiar laid-back tone but I have gone on something of a spiritual journey these past two years where looking for things to complain about just isn't very healthy a mindset to have. And I don't naturally dislike this movie as much as I have some other movies. All in all, I'm in no hurry to watch Larry Crowne again but I do think it serves a pretty good purpose as the type of film you watch as a sort of breather from all the noisy, high-stakes blockbuster movies seeking to spawn a franchise. Sometimes, you just need a break from all that and, for better or for worse, Larry Crowne fulfils that purpose.

• Jun 26, 2021

I found the film to be a profound wast of otherwise good to outstanding talent. The vehicle appeared to be unable to decide what it wanted to be. Was it a comedy? If so, it failed, for it was not funny. Was it a romance? If so, it failed there also. Portraying an alcohol-abusing, morbidly unhappy college professor in a horribly failed marriage did not strike me at all as romantic. This was punctuated by the same educator thrusting themself in indiscriminate sexual scenarios to find solace. Finally, the professor - seemingly breaking free from a parasitic, prevaricating writer/husband - chose to plunge into another intimate relationship with no time to recover. A key character was a slightly post-adolescent student who imposed themself on a bewildered, struggling main character by exploiting them through controlling the character as though the child in an adult body had all the answers. The controller ultimately quit school in favor of a high-risk business venture. I am bewildered at how Tom Hanks created - directed - produced such a silly, bouncing off the walls movie. Too many solid actors (including his wife) taken up in an all but meaningless project. I watched the film only because my wife encouraged me to do so. 🎶 "The Things We Do For Love!" 🎼

• Mar 28, 2021

I don't know if its an appreciation boos because, well, Tom Hanks is usually great, but I liked this movie more than critics. Crowne works hard but gets shorted in a down economy. Refocuses, and makes friends along the way. Its fun, warm hearted, and funny. Great movie to have in the library for rainy days or down economies.

• Mar 12, 2021

La crisi di mezza età di Larry Crowne si divide tra momenti di piacevole leggerezza e momenti di imbarazzo generale. In pratica, tutte le scene con Julia Roberts abbassano clamorosamente la qualità, a causa del suo personaggio piatto come pochi. E poi, come diamine hanno vestito il povero Tom Hanks?

• Penelope
    Sep 21, 2020

Entertaining and well done with a stellar cast!!

Entertaining and well done with a stellar cast!!

• Jul 10, 2020

This is one of my favorite movies. It's so heart warming.

This is one of my favorite movies. It's so heart warming.

• Jun 27, 2020

A nice bit of frivolous fun. It's not as strong in comedy as Hanks and Roberts' other comedies, but there are enough great moments to make it worth watching once.

• Jun 08, 2020

A light and charming dramedy about a middle aged man who is forced back to school thanks to corporate downsizing. A lot of it plays like midlife crisis fantasy, but everyone in it is likeable and having fun. Except Julia Roberts, she sucks the fun out, as usual.

• May 12, 2020

It's missing some very crucial plot points.

It's missing some very crucial plot points.

• Apr 07, 2020

The characters were very likeable and funny. Storyline followed an average man and they made it work.