Las Acacias - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Las Acacias Reviews

½ July 13, 2016
A small gem that makes perfect use of a realistic approach to tell a sensitive story. Mostly silent and showing more than saying, it takes its time to present us the characters and the dynamics between them - and GermŠn de Silva is fantastic in an Oscar-worthy performance.
½ April 2, 2016
Masterful filmmaking that patiently tells the story of two lonely souls connecting.
½ January 8, 2016
Slow film with few words uttered. A truck is fully loaded with tree trunks. The driver is taking it from Paraguay to Buenos Aires - a trip he has taken many times before. He decides to let a mother and an infant ride along with him. He seem a bit unsure about his decision but they seem to get along nicely even of they rearly communicate. He got something on his mind - you can tell since he never finishes a cig, he is restless.

A flat film but in a way it's never boring - you wait for something, there is some slight touch of suspence. It's shot with great tones. It's simple camera work, but it's not much more needed, less is more here. The ending is powerful, but I don't feel it was worth the wait to be honest. It's a rather short film, but the seventy minute build up is too long for three minutes of greatness.

Ultra-realistic and not a film for everyone, and even if I felt parts of it myself it was too boring for me.

5 out of 10 thermos cups.
June 15, 2013
This movie definitely should've been an Oscar-Winning Contender. Yes there's barely any speaking in the movie but actions show more than words especially in cases like these. It's a nice ride and prefer it to many hispanics family across the world.
June 5, 2013
The 77% rating is way off the mark. The first half hour is just plain dull and I wanted to wap Rueben upside the head for being so rude in not helping Jacinta with her bags or even opening her door when she has all that luggage and the baby, who is the only charming thing in this movie. I usually like foreign films a lot, but the baby was the best actor in this one. The last part of the movie was a bit better, but not enough to save it. Like Rueben, I yawn.
May 2, 2013
A beautiful tale of two individuals who find each other out of necessity and form a real relationship that literally crosses borders.
April 8, 2013
Quiet, simple and beautiful film that proves good filmmaking isn't about money and special fx, but rather well-written characters and a good story.
January 3, 2013
A wonderful film about a truck driver who strikes up a friendship with an unwanted passenger & her baby. Beautifully shot and often does more in unspoken scenes with the characters body language & facial expressions than most do with pages of script. Heartwarming & quite wonderful.
November 19, 2012
Lenta, contemplativa, sutil. "Las Acacias" es la historia de un chofer de camion que lleva de pasajera a una madre soltera y su hija de Paraguay a Argentina. Casi no hablan, pero lo que comparten va mas alla. Muy bien actuada. (Texto intencionalmente sin acentos).
½ October 28, 2012
Pretty understated and low key. Lots of full face closeups to illustrate the main protagonists' internal processes. On the outside, a view on a harder life than we know here; on the inside, a poor and emotionally needy existence. Slow but worthwhile.
October 3, 2012
The opening shots feel pretentious in their length, the story is predictable and I suppose doesn't add up to much, but the human interactions are well observed. For me that is a very significant plus point.
½ September 26, 2012
Lovely people, beautiful man and gorgeous baby and its a gentle, subtle portrayal of lonliness and companionship without anything even being said. Waaaay too long though, I had trouble staying focused and/or awake, much like Ruben! I do like slow, almost silent meditative films but I think this was a bit too tedious.
September 24, 2012
Little actually happens on this tender road trip except for the development of a tender human relationship. The story is raw, but not bleak and it's a cleverly solemn people watching movie.
September 19, 2012
3 out of 3 - subtly sweet
½ August 3, 2012
A simple and sweet film filled with small, quiet moments that speak volumes.
½ July 21, 2012
Sublime little Argentinian film that reminded me of one of Steinbeck's novellas in its directness, humility and lack of pretension. If you're going to watch it I would say - give it a chance - the opening 10 minutes are quite slow but it's perhaps necessary to get you into the rhythm of the fiim. By the end I was completely won over by the two incredible central performances and couldn't help trying to fill in the minimal narrative. In this era of 3D and whistles & bells galore it's good to see that all one needs for a truly compelling film is a camera, a man, a woman, a truck and a baby!
June 3, 2012
Cine minimalista de chapeau...
½ May 3, 2012
I‚(TM)ll take the liberty of quoting Philip French of The Observer in full: ‚~In this widely praised minimalist road movie a middle-aged Argentinian long-distance lorry driver gives a young Paraguayan single mother and her five-month-old daughter a lift from southern Paraguay to Buenos Aires. Virtually nothing is said in the first half hour and little in the next 50 minutes. There are no interesting encounters, the scenery is unremarkable. But he gradually takes to the child, offers them water to drink and does a little nursing. Not exactly The Wages of Fear.‚(TM)

All this said, I think it‚(TM)s a little unfair and one‚(TM)s enjoyment of this movie would very much depend on mood. The slow build-up of emotion and humdrum surrounds of the Asuncion to Buenos Aires road actually drew me in and this is a fine example of that kind of movie that manages to be diverting without any flashy show at all. Worth seeing.
½ April 24, 2012
an adorable movie...
½ April 19, 2012
This has to be the film with the most subtext I've ever seen. Also the most tacit. Two tight-lipped people share time on a trip from Paraguay to Buenos Aires. Without saying much, both are beautifully articulate. The ending is just as tender as it is fragile and leaves the viewer in limbo as life very often does. Wonderful example of Argentine film making.