Las Acacias Reviews

• Apr 02, 2016

Masterful filmmaking that patiently tells the story of two lonely souls connecting.

• Jan 08, 2016

Slow film with few words uttered. A truck is fully loaded with tree trunks. The driver is taking it from Paraguay to Buenos Aires - a trip he has taken many times before. He decides to let a mother and an infant ride along with him. He seem a bit unsure about his decision but they seem to get along nicely even of they rearly communicate. He got something on his mind - you can tell since he never finishes a cig, he is restless. A flat film but in a way it's never boring - you wait for something, there is some slight touch of suspence. It's shot with great tones. It's simple camera work, but it's not much more needed, less is more here. The ending is powerful, but I don't feel it was worth the wait to be honest. It's a rather short film, but the seventy minute build up is too long for three minutes of greatness. Ultra-realistic and not a film for everyone, and even if I felt parts of it myself it was too boring for me. 5 out of 10 thermos cups.

• Jun 05, 2013

This movie definitely should've been an Oscar-Winning Contender. Yes there's barely any speaking in the movie but actions show more than words especially in cases like these. It's a nice ride and prefer it to many hispanics family across the world.

• May 30, 2013

The 77% rating is way off the mark. The first half hour is just plain dull and I wanted to wap Rueben upside the head for being so rude in not helping Jacinta with her bags or even opening her door when she has all that luggage and the baby, who is the only charming thing in this movie. I usually like foreign films a lot, but the baby was the best actor in this one. The last part of the movie was a bit better, but not enough to save it. Like Rueben, I yawn.

John B Super Reviewer
    May 02, 2013

A beautiful tale of two individuals who find each other out of necessity and form a real relationship that literally crosses borders.

• Apr 08, 2013

Quiet, simple and beautiful film that proves good filmmaking isn't about money and special fx, but rather well-written characters and a good story.

• Jan 03, 2013

A wonderful film about a truck driver who strikes up a friendship with an unwanted passenger & her baby. Beautifully shot and often does more in unspoken scenes with the characters body language & facial expressions than most do with pages of script. Heartwarming & quite wonderful.

• Nov 19, 2012

Lenta, contemplativa, sutil. "Las Acacias" es la historia de un chofer de camion que lleva de pasajera a una madre soltera y su hija de Paraguay a Argentina. Casi no hablan, pero lo que comparten va mas alla. Muy bien actuada. (Texto intencionalmente sin acentos).

• Oct 28, 2012

Pretty understated and low key. Lots of full face closeups to illustrate the main protagonists' internal processes. On the outside, a view on a harder life than we know here; on the inside, a poor and emotionally needy existence. Slow but worthwhile.

• Sep 26, 2012

Lovely people, beautiful man and gorgeous baby and its a gentle, subtle portrayal of lonliness and companionship without anything even being said. Waaaay too long though, I had trouble staying focused and/or awake, much like Ruben! I do like slow, almost silent meditative films but I think this was a bit too tedious.