The Last Picture Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Picture Show Reviews

February 19, 2018
A Masterpiece A Very Very Good Movie
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
December 29, 2017
The Last Picture Show Hits Hard In Th Heart Of The Viewer, With A Simple Yet Powerful And Known Plot, Extremely Well Acted and Aesthetically Directed and Setting
½ December 15, 2017
Typical McMurtry prententious dribble. It seems as if he wanted to write a dirty story and decided to have it take place in a small Texas town, just to make it provocative - a story without a story that exists only to exist. Not nearly worth the hype.
½ October 12, 2017
I?m not she why this is rated so high by critics and audiences. I liked it, but didn?t love it. It was more of a historical archeological time piece than a great movie. The second half was much better than the first half. I was surprised by the nudity in the middle, it otherwise I couldn?t exactly emphasize with that old school midwestern mentality. Cybil Shepard, Tommy Button and Jeff Bridges stood out.
September 3, 2017
The Last Picture Show (1971) ???? / ????
Peter Bogdanovich's moving saga of 1950 West Texas ambience is a triumph of the human spirit. Timothy Bottoms and Jeff Bridges are fascinating on-screen; Cybill Shepherd is spectacularly appealing; Ben Johnson in his best performance of his career. Entire cast is perfection. This beautiful film takes its rightful place among the greatest movies of all-time.
August 23, 2017
Really good movie about kids in a small town and the romantic struggles they endure. Cybill Shepherd plays the role of the spoiled vixen perfectly. Bogdanovich does an excellent job. It's a rare movie that creates the feeling of loss, hardship, and longing. Amazing stuff.
June 4, 2017
A bleak view of small town life so perfectly done.
May 9, 2017
A tale of endless tedium and unbearable length, The Last Picture Show is a painfully overrated 'Classic' that I want to say has aged badly, but looks so awful that it was probably outdated all the way back in 1971. A supposed coming of age tale, where everybody acts like idiots and we're supposed to sympathise them because they're 'young and wild'. It's hard to tell what's worse here. The story, which is virtually non-existent; the acting, which is awful; or the pacing, which is sluggish to the point that it never feels like it's moving at all. Ben Johnson & Cloris Leachman, both of whom won acting Oscars, are barely in the film at all, and honestly don't deserve the awards for what they contribute to the film. The lead actor, Sam Bottoms, a man with one facial expression: Suffering from mild toothache, is a bad lead, and neither he nor any of the other principle characters ever become engaging, and in a movie which is over 2 hours long that makes for seriously dull viewing. It feels like it actually tries to be boring, as if wasting the audiences time is its sole reason for existing. There's so much dead air in the movie, with so little sound being used, even in scenes where there should at least be environmental noise like wind or the lapping of water against the shore. I often thought that the sound guy kept forgetting to come to work and score the film. Having watched a couple of scenes he probably decided it would be better to stay away from it all together, advice I sincerely wish I had followed.
April 18, 2017
Shopping at a thrift store in Indio, CA today and ran across this film. I noticed that it had been up for a lot of academy awards, so what the heck, $3.00 for the DVD. WOW! What a GREAT film.....extraordinary!! Real-life emotions and situations....eerie how exact they were in nailing some of the things many of us experience in our lives. GREAT casting, great acting, great directing, etc., etc.!
½ March 28, 2017
Before Animal House, coming of age was about showing the world from teenager's perspective and how harsh the world can be.
March 12, 2017
A timeless classic from the 70's about the 50's. Everything is perfect in this film, starting with Cybill Shepherd and ending with awesome b\w cinematography.
March 11, 2017
"Important" is a tag that I save for very few films. There are only a select few American films that will fall into that category in the history of the craft. Peter Bogdanovich's masterpiece, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, is an important movie.

The performances, the direction, the writing, the cinematography; it's all vivid and brilliant. Speaking to the pains and pleasures of growing up in a small town.

Only a few coming-of-age films truly capture the way that teenagers live, move, and breathe. There's Richard Linklater's DAZED & CONFUSED, George Lucas' AMERICAN GRAFFITI, and, most importantly, Peter Bogdanovich's master work in question.
February 19, 2017
Extremely overrated.
December 6, 2016
November 20, 2016
I read the book so I wanted to see this 45 year old movie. Cybill Shepherd and Jeff Bridges were so young. All the performances were great in this sad movie.
August 20, 2016
Saw again today 45 years after I saw it for the first and only time as a freshman at UT. Incredible movie. Moved me a lot more today than it did 45 years ago. Impressive movie.
June 16, 2016
Peter Bogdanovich manages to deliver a masterpiece coming-of-age tale about a city in decay and the lives and choices its inhabitants make with impressive eye for detail and wisdom in its simplicity, supported by winning performances from its ensemble cast.
May 30, 2016
Great movie about adolescent sexual small town desires.