The Last Picture Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Picture Show Reviews

½ October 12, 2017
I?m not she why this is rated so high by critics and audiences. I liked it, but didn?t love it. It was more of a historical archeological time piece than a great movie. The second half was much better than the first half. I was surprised by the nudity in the middle, it otherwise I couldn?t exactly emphasize with that old school midwestern mentality. Cybil Shepard, Tommy Button and Jeff Bridges stood out.
September 3, 2017
The Last Picture Show (1971) ???? / ????
Peter Bogdanovich's moving saga of 1950 West Texas ambience is a triumph of the human spirit. Timothy Bottoms and Jeff Bridges are fascinating on-screen; Cybill Shepherd is spectacularly appealing; Ben Johnson in his best performance of his career. Entire cast is perfection. This beautiful film takes its rightful place among the greatest movies of all-time.
August 23, 2017
Really good movie about kids in a small town and the romantic struggles they endure. Cybill Shepherd plays the role of the spoiled vixen perfectly. Bogdanovich does an excellent job. It's a rare movie that creates the feeling of loss, hardship, and longing. Amazing stuff.
June 4, 2017
A bleak view of small town life so perfectly done.
May 9, 2017
A tale of endless tedium and unbearable length, The Last Picture Show is a painfully overrated 'Classic' that I want to say has aged badly, but looks so awful that it was probably outdated all the way back in 1971. A supposed coming of age tale, where everybody acts like idiots and we're supposed to sympathise them because they're 'young and wild'. It's hard to tell what's worse here. The story, which is virtually non-existent; the acting, which is awful; or the pacing, which is sluggish to the point that it never feels like it's moving at all. Ben Johnson & Cloris Leachman, both of whom won acting Oscars, are barely in the film at all, and honestly don't deserve the awards for what they contribute to the film. The lead actor, Sam Bottoms, a man with one facial expression: Suffering from mild toothache, is a bad lead, and neither he nor any of the other principle characters ever become engaging, and in a movie which is over 2 hours long that makes for seriously dull viewing. It feels like it actually tries to be boring, as if wasting the audiences time is its sole reason for existing. There's so much dead air in the movie, with so little sound being used, even in scenes where there should at least be environmental noise like wind or the lapping of water against the shore. I often thought that the sound guy kept forgetting to come to work and score the film. Having watched a couple of scenes he probably decided it would be better to stay away from it all together, advice I sincerely wish I had followed.
April 18, 2017
Shopping at a thrift store in Indio, CA today and ran across this film. I noticed that it had been up for a lot of academy awards, so what the heck, $3.00 for the DVD. WOW! What a GREAT film.....extraordinary!! Real-life emotions and situations....eerie how exact they were in nailing some of the things many of us experience in our lives. GREAT casting, great acting, great directing, etc., etc.!
½ March 28, 2017
Before Animal House, coming of age was about showing the world from teenager's perspective and how harsh the world can be.
March 12, 2017
A timeless classic from the 70's about the 50's. Everything is perfect in this film, starting with Cybill Shepherd and ending with awesome b\w cinematography.
March 11, 2017
"Important" is a tag that I save for very few films. There are only a select few American films that will fall into that category in the history of the craft. Peter Bogdanovich's masterpiece, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, is an important movie.

The performances, the direction, the writing, the cinematography; it's all vivid and brilliant. Speaking to the pains and pleasures of growing up in a small town.

Only a few coming-of-age films truly capture the way that teenagers live, move, and breathe. There's Richard Linklater's DAZED & CONFUSED, George Lucas' AMERICAN GRAFFITI, and, most importantly, Peter Bogdanovich's master work in question.
February 19, 2017
Extremely overrated.
December 6, 2016
WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
November 20, 2016
I read the book so I wanted to see this 45 year old movie. Cybill Shepherd and Jeff Bridges were so young. All the performances were great in this sad movie.
August 20, 2016
Saw again today 45 years after I saw it for the first and only time as a freshman at UT. Incredible movie. Moved me a lot more today than it did 45 years ago. Impressive movie.
June 16, 2016
Peter Bogdanovich manages to deliver a masterpiece coming-of-age tale about a city in decay and the lives and choices its inhabitants make with impressive eye for detail and wisdom in its simplicity, supported by winning performances from its ensemble cast.
May 30, 2016
Great movie about adolescent sexual small town desires.
April 26, 2016
This Peter Bogdanovich's movie is a realistic fresco of American poor society of '50s. It deals with the passage from the adolescence to the adult age, the depression of middle aged women and the homesickness of days gone bye.
The Last Picture Show is terribly melancholic, terribly "hot" and terribly beautiful. This is one of the best movies of all time. Thank you Peter for this masterpiece.
½ March 25, 2016
In a small dying town in Texas a handful of teenagers are coming of age in The Last Picture. The entire towns entertainment includes a pool hall, a theater and a cafe. As a result, the teenagers in the town resort to sex, and drinking like any other town. The main character Sonny (Timothy Bottoms) is having an affair with a woman about twice his age (Cloris Leachman). The sexy wealthy girl in town (Cybil Shepard) is wanting everybody, and the drama ensues. Keeping the town together is the owner of the entertainment joints Sam the Lion (Ben Johnson). The Last Picture is a bleak coming of age story because of the small dying town, and paints an interesting light on what is sure an accurate portrayal of many small towns of this size. The Last Picture Show has excellent performances and the sex and nudity shown in the film is quite shocking for a film of its time.
½ February 28, 2016
Good coming of age film from Peter Bogdanovich and starring a young cast including Jeff Bridges, Cybil Shepherd and Timothy Bottoms. It takes place in the early 50s in a small Texas town, which is in a clear decline, and we follow the coming-of-age exploits of the teens in this town as they have their first sexual experiences, graduate, deal with death, and head out on their paths in life. It's a well made film, it holds up and is definitely an entertaining way to spend a couple hours.