Locke Reviews

• Aug 11, 2019

This movie is pure shit. Rotten tomatoes must have accidentally had a typo with the score...

• Aug 07, 2019

The most uninspiring premise, but an absolute must see. Magnificent

The most uninspiring premise, but an absolute must see. Magnificent

• Apr 07, 2019

An emotionally fueled, introspective piece told with one location. Ivan Locke (Hardy) has worked diligently to craft the life he has envisioned, dedicating himself to the job that he loves and the family he adores. On the eve of the biggest challenge of his career, Ivan receives a phone call that sets in motion a series of events that will unravel his family, job, and soul. All taking place over the course of one absolutely riveting car ride, LOCKE is an exploration of how one decision can lead to the complete collapse of a life. Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Steven Knight (EASTERN PROMISES, DIRTY PRETTY THINGS) and driven by an unforgettable performance by Tom Hardy, LOCKE is a thrillingly unique cinematic experience of a man fighting to salvage all that is important to him. Wow. I had heard of this film before but had never really garnered much interest in it. One day, I saw it while scrolling through my queue and I figured, 'why not give it a try?'. It turns out that not only was this a really powerful piece, but it was really well written and extremely well acted. First off, as a writer, my first props goes to writer / director Steven Knight. This guy created a story that's really difficult to tell, nonetheless told well. You can say that, 'oh, it was just a bunch of phone calls for an hour and a half' but it's so much more than that. We literally watch a man's life fade away in front of our eyes and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Brilliant writing with brilliant circumstances. Tom Hardy was amazing in this film. It's really hard to act by yourself, especially in scenes where you're supposed to talk to other people who aren't actually there. It's a difficult task but he really carried the show. All his little emotions and quirks really came out on screen and he really gave one of my favorite performances that I've seen from him. I think I really connect with this film because you're able to emotionally invest in this character from the first minute. He's an everyday character with an everyday, family life. To see that slowly crumble away is really painful to watch, but painful in the best way. In the end, "Locke" was a really interesting art house piece. It's not a film for everyone but I think it's really well made and definitely a unique experience to watch.

• Mar 29, 2019

Very problematic... Super acting by Tom Hardy , great script, but... It just ends in the middle! I mean, what? What happens now? Does he make it? Everything he said confirms or not?? So so dissapointing....

• Feb 20, 2019

Exceptional one man show.

Exceptional one man show.

• Feb 08, 2019

reasonable concept and film - was waiting for a twist that didn’t arrive which is why it was 6/10 and not highe

• Jan 31, 2019

I couldn’t get through this whole movie. From what I seen of it, Tom Hardy did a great job playing his role and it had great dialogue, but I couldn’t get past how the whole movie took place in a car 😑 he should’ve stopped at rest stops or something, it would’ve made the movie far more interesting.

• Jan 16, 2019

With such a simple premise, you'd might expect it to be mundane. But Tom Hardy carries this movie with an absolutely phenomenal performance. But he is also expertly supported by strong directing, sharp writing and terrific voice cast. Replay value is not particularly high but this film is effective and memorable regardless. - 9/10

• Jan 09, 2019

Particolare, decisamente. Ambientato interamente all'interno di un'auto e incentrato praticamente tutto sui dialoghi, il film è una continua corsa fatta di suspense ma soprattutto di tristezza. Infatti Ivan Locke è un uomo che rinuncia al lavoro, importantissimo per lui e che ama, e rovina il suo matrimonio per non commettere gli stessi errori del padre, per dimostrargli di essere diverso, tant'è che durante la durata della pellicola lo vediamo parlare da solo rivolgendosi però al padre. Compie questo viaggio quasi tutto al telefono per poter arrivare in ospedale e far nascere il suo nuovo figlio, nato dal rapporto con una donna di mezz'eta triste e sola. Tom Hardy è stato naturalmente grandioso, senza la sua presenza scenica e la sua bravura probabilmente il film non sarebbe riuscito come in questo caso. La regia di Knight è ottima, claustrofobica ma allo stesso tempo sembra di essere in un luogo aperto e decisamente più grande grazie a dei campi lunghi inquadranti l'autostrada e le macchine. Ottimo anche il montaggio, da il giusto ritmo alla narrazione e non rende statica la regia. Non c'è invece molto su cui discutere riguardo la fotografia e la colonna sonora, così come sulla scenografia, sostanzialmente del tutto assente. Gran bel lavoro.

• Jan 09, 2019

3 years after swing it is still found thinking about this film only a fairly regular (monthly) basis. That’s a testament to its unique hold It has on its audience whilst never being pretentious or trying too hard. Hardy shines and the only thing holding it back from near perfection are things it cannot really control, ie the final 8 mins of narrative never being able to tie off a brilliant first 90 Odd minutes! Brilliant film that I must say is sad to know not many have had the sheer pleasure of seeing. For it’d have them thinking for days!