Lone Wolf and Cub - Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (Kozure Ôkami: Meifumadô) (Shogun Assassin 4: Five Fistfuls of Gold) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lone Wolf and Cub - Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (Kozure Ôkami: Meifumadô) (Shogun Assassin 4: Five Fistfuls of Gold) Reviews

December 10, 2014
Probably the best entry since River Stix, this see's the Lone Wolf hired by five assassins to travel to their Villiage and kill a child. A young girl posing as a boy.
The action is bloody and intense, the story is sophisticated and engaging and the direction and cinematography is gorgeous. A film filled with beautiful compositions and interesting angles. Much more artistically accomplished than many exploitation films you'll see.
September 5, 2013
Great photography and story.
½ August 5, 2012
In some ways, Baby Cart in the Land of Demons feels slightly different than the rest of the series. It feels slightly awkward and confusing at times but in the end, it is still a Lone Wolf and Cub film and thus it is still a glorious hugely enjoyable chanbara classic.
½ July 25, 2012
Ogami now has to defeat 5 assassins. Each time he does, they reveal a little more about his true assignment. Neat, eh? My friend and I realized that these movies are really "good" ones, but they are some of the most enjoyable action films in existence. That, and I go bananas for anything samurai related :] Kenji Misumi came back to direct this 5th installment in the series, and it definitely feels like one of his. Maybe he should have just stayed put and been the director for #4, then 4 wouldn't have felt so weird!
May 13, 2012
great comic book series. old school at its best.
April 7, 2012
Kenji's most evenly paced, drawn out story. Beautiful cinematography and direction!
March 4, 2012
This one got wild, but still way better than Kill Bill.
September 18, 2011
To me this is an improvement over the last two films and on parr with Babycart in the River Styx.
½ July 1, 2011
probably the most brutal of the lot. as usual great fights, great violence, great cinemtography. solid all round!!
April 24, 2011
Part 5 of the Lone Wolf and Cub series, known as "Baby Cart in the Land of Demons", which literal translation reads: "The Crossroads to Hell".

This is a slight improvement over the 4th delivery, considering two very fun main aspects:

1) As a movie, it is the only one in the saga that will provide you the closest experience to playing a videogame, especially during the first half.
2) It has the most intense, climactic battle sequence in the entire series, and the bloodiest as well, trying to resemble the scope of "Sword of Doom".

Misumi takes the seat for the last time this famous, episodic story and leaves his signature in order to be remembered as the definitive and best director of "Lone Wolf and Cub". I agree.

½ October 16, 2010
For me, the least likeable sequel. Not only is it needlessly convoluted, the pacing is very bad.

Itto Ogami has a new task, defeat 5 warriors who each hold 1/5 of the story, and 1/5 of his fee. After he completes this, the story gets very out of place and ridiculous.

The warriors only tell their story, after they have been mortally wounded. This makes no sense, they should tell the story first.

After these scenes in the first act, the story takes a wide turn and develops Daigoro, whogets separated and ends up taking a whipping for defending a pickpocket.

Back to the main plotline, Itto intercepts a document containing a vital secret from his nemesis Retsudo, then takes on a mad Daiymo's royal guard and special spear warriors in order to restore order to the clan.

The story isn't as interesting, and the first 20 minutes is better than the rest of the movie. They even go so far as to not show several of the fights. A low point in the series.
½ October 3, 2010
Kenji Misumi steps back in the directing chair in the 5th film in the series made all within about a year, which is crazy to think to be done now, but I think because of that, the wheels just rolled like it does with a television series or a monthly mini-series. "Meifumado" is not the best of the series, but it does show a growth in Daigoro's character to an extreme, where the torture scene is still one of the more shocking elements of the bloody series, but shows what he has learned from his father after all this time together. But there is so much more going on, so of it a little incoherent and needless, and bloodliness ensures obviously. Only 1 more in the series of films to go, but there is also the nearly bloodless TV series as well.... Near the close of one of the greatest film series of all time.
½ July 20, 2010
July 20, 2010
I didn't take it seriously. I had to look it up, and it was Dustingood that reviewed the series and gave them high scores enough to convince me to queue them up. Despite his synopsis, I didn't know much/remember any details about it, and seeing that there were six movies I thought it might be a bit of a joke.

I loved it though. A ronin assassin pushes his baby cart around the countryside, pursuing the thread of a job presented and earned through proof of violent skill, one part zen philosophy and one part splatterfest.

I reflected that the movie took on a tone reminiscent of a Peckinpah western, dark characters and moody shadows providing a foreshadow to the sudden and brutal violence. I also thought of the more recent example of Kill Bill Part 2, Chapter 8 as being drawn directly from this.

The story takes you a few places you wouldn't expect. It also amuses me with its shot angles and original fight choreography.

I read later that it was drawn from Manga, and I can see the correlation.

Dustingood takes a huge jump in esteem. This nearly drew a hallowed 8, and I look forward to the rest of the series. This was the 5th installment, and now I will take care to get them in chronological order. The only drag is that Dustin claims this 5th was the best. I hope to find at least similar quality throughout.
July 10, 2010
If you've seen one, you've seen the rest. Each movie in the series follows the same formula. In the hands of a better director and a better producer, this could've been a classic. But all the defects of Japanese cinema are present, the theatrical acting, the wooden dialogue, the exaggerated reactions, I hate them. This is a series in need of a modern remake.
½ May 30, 2010
5ème épisode qui fait jeu égal avec l'excellent 4ème, Itto Ogami doit se battre contre 5 messager et à chaque fois qu'il gagne, le messager lui livre une partie des informations dont il a besoin pour accomplir une mission. Le loup solitaire n'a jamais un instant de repos dans cet épisode et nous non plus, s'il n'est pas aux prises avec d'anciens ennemis, de nouveaux apparaissent et même dans les moments les plus inattendus. Mais l'autre bonne surprise vient de la mise en lumière du petit Daigoro, au centre d'une affaire de vol où il montre un courage tel qu'il pousse une jeune voleuse à la rédemption, et même si Itto s'exprime très peu à ce sujet, on voit à quel point il est fier de son fils, le film n'oublie jamais de nous montrer cette relation particulière et le lien très fort qui les unis tous les deux.
Ce qu'on peut voir également c'est que c'est toujours aussi violent, et toujours aussi bien chorégraphié, je trouve même Tomisaburo Wakayama un peu plus convaincant que son illustre frère Shintaro Katsu dans le maniement d'une arme blanche (même si j'apprécie beaucoup ce dernier), Wakayama dégage force, maîtrise, assurance au point qu'on y croit jusqu'au bout. Ce 5ème opus n'oublie pas non plus l'habituel mais toujours surprenant grand combat final et chose inhabituelle cette fois, l'une des victimes du loup solitaire se trouve être un enfant qu'il tue sans pitié, parce que c'est sa mission !! Une vraie putain de saga que ces "Lone Wolf and Cub" sûrement l'une des meilleures que je n'ai jamais vue !!
½ May 20, 2010
God, what an up and down series.