Best Man Down Reviews

• Aug 13, 2020

Really good watch, could watch again, and can recommend. This honestly isn't a traditional comedy: it's more a mystery than a comedy. I'm not a big fan of Tyler Labine, but he does do charmingly hapless really well, and he carries the movie, even in the scenes where he's not there because the impression he lands is so palatable as they talk about him it really builds the character. While the rest of the supporting cast is incredibly well balanced, Justin Long and Addison Tomlin really run away with it. For a movie that is half about a couple with newly wed problems, all that really slids away in wake of this wonderful, heart warming tale of friendship and what it means to be family, blood or no.

• Oct 29, 2017

Minnesotans Scott (Justin Long) and his bride Kristen (Jess Weixler) are having their wedding in Phoenix. During the wedding, Kristin is put off by the obnoxious behavior of Scott's best man Lumpy (Tyler Labine). Lumpy gets extremely drunk and more annoying to the guests until he is cut off from the bar by Scott. Returning to his hotel room, Lumpy continues drinking and carrying on until he accidentally falls and cracks his skull before passing out. He awakens a short time later disoriented and bleeding, and gets himself locked out of the hotel. Wandering into the brush, Lumpy passes out and dies on top of a cactus. He is found the next morning and Scott and Kristen are informed. Since Lumpy was his best friend, Scott feels it is his duty to arrange for Lumpy to be returned to Minnesota for a funeral. Kristen is upset that her honeymoon will be postponed but she supports Scott in his decision. After arranging transport for the body, they return to Minneapolis to contact Lumpy's friends and plan the funeral. Meanwhile, in a small town in Northern Minnesota we are introduced to Ramsey Anderson (Addison Timlin), a fifteen-year-old girl living with her mom (Frances O'Connor) and her mom's boyfriend (Evan Jones). Her mom is a drug addict with a history of moving around, and her mom's boyfriend is a former soldier who has turned to cooking meth to make money. Ramsey catches the local priest (Michael Landes) with another man in his home and tacitly blackmails him out of $50, which she uses to purchase groceries for their house. Later on, she deliberately allows herself to be caught shoplifting cold medicine so that she wouldn't have to supply it to her mom's boyfriend and is bailed out by the same priest.Kristen and Scott find Ramsey's name in Lumpy's phone and try to contact her but she doesn't answer. They visit his old law school and job to try to locate Ramsey but discover that Lumpy suddenly quit school and was fired from his job for embezzling tips from the bar. The bar manager tells them that Lumpy was involved with some girl, whom they deduce to be Ramsey. After an uncomfortable argument at Christmas dinner, Kristen pushes Scott to drive up to Ramsey's town and find her... How many romcoms haven´t been produced the past years that are more or less the same. Same setup, same ending and no real surprises. When I red the DVD back cover of "Best Man Down" I wasn´t sure that this would be that different and I am not a real fan of Justin Long. However, I do like Addison Timlin and there was something about the film that seemed intriguing no matter what. I did buy it and low and behold I did get something different in the genre. I reckon I was expecting the normal romcom comedy routine, but we only sort of see that in the beginning of the film. As soon as Lumpy has passed away, the film turns into an compelling, emotional strong and partly dark drama with a focus on death, friendship and the bigger meaning of it and how you might take people for granted and who they are. The characters feels authentic and believable and I reckon Addison Timlin is doing one of her best roles so far and her touching performance is beautiful to watch. And I also enjoyed that the movie was set in Minnesota.

• Oct 23, 2016

I vaguely remember the trailer for this and it seemed like it would be a lame, obnoxious comedy about how the best man dies at the wedding. Turns out he dies right at the beginning and the rest of the movie is finding out about him. There are some incredibly uneven (and probably unnecessary) sections and subplots, but overall I liked this much more than the 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Jun 24, 2016

How one sad event that changed many peoples' lives. Originally it was known as 'Lumpy', but this new title seems much better. Even though this title name is somewhat misleading regarding the film subject. I saw it a couple of years delayed, because I was not interested after knowing the title thinking it might be some kind of a silly B comedy. Surprisingly, this was one of the best films of the 2013 I've seen. This is not a comedy alone as it was classified, but a beautiful semi-emotional drama just like the film 'The Guilt Trip'. The cast was so good, I loved everyone's performances. But in the opening, it looked like a mindless comedy with dumb characters. Only while the film progress, it slowly developed many awesome plots and I was totally impressed with it, especially for the way it ended. Yep, it concluded on a high note compared to the ordinary initiation. I think credit should go the writer-come-director, as well as the actors. It was a two layered narration that sets in two different cities where one of it was a flashback, but both of them meets during the middle. So what comes later was the best segment. The second half is what made this film a better product. This is not an extraordinary film, but for a small project and its not so popular cast, it really excelled my expectation. Well maintained suspense, and I don't think anybody could guess them out that easily. Till the final scene, it'll keep you alive, especially if you like melodrama you'll surely enjoy it better than others. Lately Justin Long has been doing some of the interesting small-scale films and this is one of them that you should try it if you're a film fanatic without barriers in viewing any category films. 7.5/10

• Mar 11, 2016

¿Qué pasaría si en el día de tu boda tu padrino se muere? Bueno pues esta comedia romántica de corte emo, responde a esta y algunas otras cosas.

• Mar 08, 2016

• Dec 25, 2015

I hate when movie is supposed to suck but it still gets me all teary..

I hate when movie is supposed to suck but it still gets me all teary..

• Nov 26, 2015

I forget what this is about, and I finished it ten minutes ago. 1 and 1/2 Stars? I will not be sharing this on Facebook.

• Apr 18, 2015

This movie's snail's pace literally put me to sleep. I feel quite rested now.

This movie's snail's pace literally put me to sleep. I feel quite rested now.

• Mar 31, 2015

This movie wasn't what I expected it to be...hardly a comedy but comic moments for sure. Really liked it.