Mei Lanfang (Forever Enthralled) Reviews

• Jul 29, 2012

Like, it's hard to believe it's from the same dude who did Farewell My Concubine. Turgid and uninspiring, but with lots of good opera scenes. That's the only good bit really. Motivations and reasonings were unclear and esoteric, and the ending felt like the director just got bored and chased butterflies instead.

• Dec 13, 2011

Reminded me a lot of Farewell My Concubine.

Reminded me a lot of Farewell My Concubine.

• Apr 09, 2011

Not so interesting in either the story or the narrative. Ironically, Mei Lanfang, the protagonist, is the obscurest character designed among all; & Leon Lai, who plays Mei, once again is the weakest link in the cast, especially being surrounded by such wonderful cast from the contemporary Chinese Cinema for most of the time.

• Feb 05, 2011

Kinda expecting this will get me interested in Chinese opera, but it didn't. Also too long for a biopic.

• Jul 24, 2010

The movie was good. However it would be nice to focus more on the later stage of Mei Lanfang's life, so as to complete the legend on his contribution to Beijing Opera. On the other hand, I am not too sure the need to twist his personal love affairs. Hm... curious.

• Apr 18, 2010

Leon and Ziyi ruin the Mei Lanfang, the only 2 stars just for other supporting role.

• Mar 24, 2010

Chen Kaige is one of my favorite directors and this film even has some resemblance at times to my favorite Kaige film, "Life on a String". "Forever Enthralled" did not, however, enthrall me. It's beautifully filmed, of course, with some excellent performances and lovely opera performances, but it's basically a "hit the highlights" bio-pic.

• Feb 24, 2010

• Feb 17, 2010

I guess I expected more than what I really got from it. so a little disappointed.

• Feb 16, 2010

العَمَل الأخير للمُخْرج الصّيني العَظيم "تشين كايجي" يَستَنبِطُ فيه نَقس تِلك الروح التي مَنَحته سابقاً سَعفة كان من خلالِ تُحفته "وداعاً خليلتي" عام 1993 ، هذه المرّة أيضاً يدور فيلمه عن الموسيقى وعن أوبرا بكين وعن تاريخ الصّين فيلم مُمتاز جداً ، يُظهر القيمة الحقيقيَّة لمُخرجٍ كهذا بعد فترة طويلة من التشتت والانحدار عَوْدٌ حَميد !