Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

½ March 25, 2017
It was not anywhere near as good as I was expecting. Left me disappointed.
½ March 25, 2017
High as a kite on Wes Anderson's dry, warm, socially astute direction, this comedy breaks modern comedy rules in favor of an eccentric and joyfully visualized look back on 60s childhood.
½ March 15, 2017
This is probably the 4th times i'm watching this movie.
Moonrise Kingdom definitely has that magical touch in it. The movie is hilarious in deadpan sort of way. Everything about it so dreamy, especially the color pallete).
But i have to say that it lacks substance and the "AWE"-factor that most of his projects have.
March 14, 2017
Lavish and imaginative that somehow portrays picture perfection layered with the opposite. The film manages to be captivating, suspenseful, humorous with a whimsical flow that is like nothing else.
March 7, 2017
Once again, another great story and atmosphere from Wes. Favourite scenes are at Summers End house and the Camp. Edward Nortons character deserves his own spinoff as I can't get enough of him and Camp Ivanhoe. Great acting all round but especially from Bill Murray, Ed Norton, the two leads and the boy scouts. Would have liked a bit more of a fuller soundtrack but it does have an absolute gem from Francoise Hardy that once again gets me onto a Wes Anderson spotify playlist and a brilliant choir song, "Cuckoo". It only lacks somewhat, when compared to The Grand Budapest Hotel, in the fairytale story that its title Moonrise Kingdom, would suggest.
March 6, 2017
One of the nicest tale of the 60's. This movie was esthetically perfect...
March 4, 2017
I really wanted to like this movie, but I found it boring even if it was stylistically beautiful. The acting was phenomenal. However the story was only mildly interesting in a "huh, there's a bug walking across the carpet, I wonder where it's going?" kind of way.
March 2, 2017
Loved the quirkiness and deadpan drama. The Khaki Scouts were the best!
February 25, 2017
While this movie is good, I feel like there were some moments that just didn't fit well to it.
February 20, 2017
absoulltely phenomenal and stunning film. Wes Anderson is an artistic genius in film
February 18, 2017
easily one of the best films ive seen this millennium - Must See, regardless of age-group
February 15, 2017
Wes Anderson's greatest achievement: a film that recaptures the magic of youth and maturity.
February 14, 2017
Stylish, sweet, poignant, and with an amazing attention to detail, Moonrise Kingdom is a showcase for the singular gifts of Wes Anderson.
February 13, 2017
With superb performances from its ensemble cast, Moonrise Kingdom is a heartfelt adventure about love and growing up, displaying Wes Anderson at his best with a great screenplay and typically great direction.
February 12, 2017
In typical Wes Anderson fashion, 'Moonrise Kingdom' is a beautifully filmed and perfectly symmetrical fairytale. Characterization is amazing as usual, as well as the dialogues: utlimately, this movie manages to be entertraining, uplifting and funny .
February 11, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is another movie directed by Wes Anderson that bares his distinctive and unique mark. The movie is set on set on an island, where Sam, a khaki scout who is orphaned, falls in love with Suzy, a girl who reads a lot to escape from reality.
½ January 30, 2017
A extremely delightful film full to the brim with the wit and talent of Wes Anderson.
January 29, 2017
Typical Wes Anderson...very well done and just a holistically enjoyable movie
½ January 24, 2017
For some reason the first view of this went over my head. All I could see were the standard Wes Anderson signature shots, dialogue, and characters. A second random viewing made me realize this is probably my favorite film of his. All of his quirks and stylistic signposts just tie down one of the best coming of age stories I think I've ever seen. Name a better one, please! One that's not only funny and heartwarming but melancholy and cynical.
½ January 21, 2017
Wes Anderson finally made it, the film he wanted to make since he became a director, and that's notable since it seems like his most personal work. Moonrise Kingdom has that characteristic Anderson-esque style and as always his characterization is beyond words, but it is in this film that all seems to fit perfectly.
Dealin with a noble and warm topic such as kid love, coming of age and the need to get away, Anderson and screenwriter Roman Coppola manage to capture the most of this and framed it in such an immaculate way it's subtle. The directing is outstanding as always, but seems has new touches that makes it feel fresh. The actings are plain perfect, even on secondary characters, and the characterization is as good. What really stands out in this film, is the music. Through the whole movie the music makes you get deeper and deeper into the movie, makes you feel as the characters feel and just transports you into Camp Ivanhoe.
All technical aspects aside, Moonrise Kingdom is a touching film, that gives hope on a realistic level, that gives you a smile with great wit, that take you back to memory lane in a nostalgic journey as you remember your own first kiss, your experience of love and makes you embrace that feelings for a momment and forget about everything, that is cinema, that's what it's all about, making you feel.
Maybe the characters have no place in the real world, maybe some events seem absurd, but so what? There really isn't any valid argument to diminish this beatifull piece of art from a director that just seems to get better and better with every movie. Thank you Wes Anderson.