Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

½ August 19, 2017
this was a waste of my time, honestly terrible.
August 17, 2017
Innocent and warm, Anderson is able to artfully display a story of two young loves while keeping it fresh and putting his own distinct style on this masterclass of a film.
½ August 15, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is a sweet heartwarming coming-of-age comedic drama that showcases some great talent. That talent mostly being Wes Anderson who has crafted an authentic drama with some contemporary flavours. His direction is so quirky that it's hard not to fall in love with it. The centralisation of characters and objects with the camera, the still shots of the excellent production design, the side track panning as characters walk along and a nice 360 degree scene within a house. The stages built for those scenes just ooze design excellence and I have to admire the simplicity. We follow two 12 year olds who fall in love and plan to run away, but various authorities attempt to track them down. It's a basic plot but the animated characters and young performances help reinvigorate this exhausted genre. Our typical Anderson cast (Norton, Swinton, Keitel, Murray etc.) are all here again and give great performances. The awkward yet loving chemistry between our two young leads was moulded with care and tenderness that I found somewhat relatable. I'm sure back in our youth we all fell in love with a crush and wanted to run away from everyone...no? Just me then. Again, the production design was genius. I love how it purposefully look like it's built for a stage show as opposed to a cinematic piece, there is something so idiosyncratic about Anderson's choice of style that just makes it wonderful. Whilst all the above is all plain sailing, my major issue was with the narrative. I found myself somewhat disengaged until about halfway through. Right from the start, you are thrown in straight away with about 47 characters (completely accurate...) and a geography lesson of the island. Honestly I needed to get a notebook out. It was intimidating! Like an onslaught of quirkiness. It took so long for me to catch up and become invested that the short runtime of 94 minutes was nearly over. It's a shame, wish it was longer so that the plot development could take its time. However, it's a sweet film and Anderson's style is impeccable.
August 6, 2017
The middle part were the kids escaped and fell in puppy love wasnt so bad. However the rest was pretty atrocious and I didnt care for the directors style. Wes andersen directing is so jilting and over the top it truly takes away from the film rather than adding to it. I also hated the flat acting style. What was the point of this? Ugh for such a heartwarming plot it centered around being so cold calculated and distant.
August 3, 2017
The best way to describe this amazing movie is awkward romance. I love it so much it made me laugh so much.
July 30, 2017
Fun, beautifully made, great acting, wonderful direction. And a great story.
½ July 23, 2017
I really enjoyed this quirky movie directed by Wes Anderson. Like all of his movies, it was beautifully filmed and acted. This is the kind of movie you can watch and enjoy multiple times.
½ July 14, 2017
I wish the moon took me with it when it rose so I never had to see this movie
½ July 10, 2017
Amazing movie once again Wes Andersons techniques as a director make him one of the best working directors living today.
July 4, 2017
The sets and cinematography was amazing. The quirky acting and characters were super fun. You simply cannot go wrong with Tilda Swinton and Ed Norton.
½ July 1, 2017
Not as good as Grand Budapest Hotel, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. It was really cute.
½ June 24, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is another quirky and unique film from Wes Anderson. Great cast and a fun story. Repeats story beats, but still an enjoyable ride.
½ June 12, 2017
The cinematography and the color pallet common of Wes Anderson creates a very cute feel to it combined with the star power of the actors in the movie, make for a good way to spend 2 hours
½ June 11, 2017
I wish the moon never rose
June 4, 2017
Another "highly rated" movie that is boring and awkward and pointless. Its made well and different... but again that doesn not equal entertainment!
June 1, 2017
Such a lovely film! Wes Anderson really is a master in blending bright and cheerful vibes with dark underlying themes. Here we have a heartwarming coming-of-age tale of a boy and a girl finding each other through pure feelings and innocent dreams, but with a colorful setting overshadowed by numerous vile aspects of the society like bullying, child abuse, unfaithfulness, depression, abandonment, and social ignorance. The way innocence of the childhood prevailed such social prejudices indeed helped lighten the mood of the audience, but many among them may still feel uncomfortable observing such especially dark depictions of humanity (Wes Anderson is no stranger in illustrating the dark sides of humans, but inexplicably I found this film a note darker than his previous ones). Wes Anderson's treatment of the two main characters is especially admirable, with the pinnacle scene of Sam and Suzy dancing to Françoise Hardy's "Le temps de l'amour" on the Moonrise Kingdom beach that will surely invoke a melancholic feeling of childhood and initial loves from the viewers. The acting of those two are not particularly outstanding, though, and the cast of this film in a whole, while very versatile, still seems to be less impressive than the cast of Wes Anderson's next one "The Grand Budapest Hotel". Still, a very moving coming-of-age film that is rare these days.
½ May 27, 2017
How Wes Anderson movies tend to score so well with both critics and audiences will probably always remain a mystery to me. 'Moonrise Kingdom' is yet another oddball, err sorry, "quirky" film from the acclaimed auteur which has little or nothing to say, begins kinda "quirky" and just goes plain weird and more nonsenical, and doesn't really go anywhere or have anything interesting to say. The cast also seem to be completely wasted. I recall Bill Murray been in it but having almost nothing/interesting to do or say. Pretentious is too mild a word for it, and like most pretentious things, most people are too afraid to admit they don't like it for fear of others thinking less of them. Avoid. 2.5/5*
½ May 2, 2017
A masterpiece as always from this director. The big names in this were not squandered either.
April 22, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is directed and co-written by Wes Anderson, and it stars Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, and Frances McDormand in a coming-of-age about a kid scout and a daughter and ran away just to meet each other, and their families need to find them. I remember that when I first watch it, I thought it was a good movie, but wasn't really quite sure about the high reviews that it received. So now that time has gone by and that I download this on Netflix for offline viewing in the Canada trip, I watch it for time waste sakes, and while I think it's a great film, it's not quite of there in the highs. Newcomers Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward are fantastic as they got the quirks that work for a Wes Anderson film, and their chemistry is very odd, but very heartfelt. The acting is also great, which is nice to see Bill Murray be funny, even if he's playing it straight, and Bruce Willis not act over-the-top. The characters are quite interesting in an odd way, and the humor is sometimes funny, although not quite as funny as it's trying to be. It's interesting to see how the scouts get even more weird as this is a Wes Anderson film, and while it's not that interesting to watch at times, I was still interested enough to know where I wonder is going to. Moonrise Kingdom is a great movie that is one of those quirks where I'm fine watching it once in a while.