Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

½ May 27, 2017
How Wes Anderson movies tend to score so well with both critics and audiences will probably always remain a mystery to me. 'Moonrise Kingdom' is yet another oddball, err sorry, "quirky" film from the acclaimed auteur which has little or nothing to say, begins kinda "quirky" and just goes plain weird and more nonsenical, and doesn't really go anywhere or have anything interesting to say. The cast also seem to be completely wasted. I recall Bill Murray been in it but having almost nothing/interesting to do or say. Pretentious is too mild a word for it, and like most pretentious things, most people are too afraid to admit they don't like it for fear of others thinking less of them. Avoid. 2.5/5*
½ May 2, 2017
A masterpiece as always from this director. The big names in this were not squandered either.
April 22, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is directed and co-written by Wes Anderson, and it stars Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, and Frances McDormand in a coming-of-age about a kid scout and a daughter and ran away just to meet each other, and their families need to find them. I remember that when I first watch it, I thought it was a good movie, but wasn't really quite sure about the high reviews that it received. So now that time has gone by and that I download this on Netflix for offline viewing in the Canada trip, I watch it for time waste sakes, and while I think it's a great film, it's not quite of there in the highs. Newcomers Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward are fantastic as they got the quirks that work for a Wes Anderson film, and their chemistry is very odd, but very heartfelt. The acting is also great, which is nice to see Bill Murray be funny, even if he's playing it straight, and Bruce Willis not act over-the-top. The characters are quite interesting in an odd way, and the humor is sometimes funny, although not quite as funny as it's trying to be. It's interesting to see how the scouts get even more weird as this is a Wes Anderson film, and while it's not that interesting to watch at times, I was still interested enough to know where I wonder is going to. Moonrise Kingdom is a great movie that is one of those quirks where I'm fine watching it once in a while.
½ March 25, 2017
It was not anywhere near as good as I was expecting. Left me disappointed.
½ March 25, 2017
High as a kite on Wes Anderson's dry, warm, socially astute direction, this comedy breaks modern comedy rules in favor of an eccentric and joyfully visualized look back on 60s childhood.
½ March 15, 2017
This is probably the 4th times i'm watching this movie.
Moonrise Kingdom definitely has that magical touch in it. The movie is hilarious in deadpan sort of way. Everything about it so dreamy, especially the color pallete).
But i have to say that it lacks substance and the "AWE"-factor that most of his projects have.
March 14, 2017
Lavish and imaginative that somehow portrays picture perfection layered with the opposite. The film manages to be captivating, suspenseful, humorous with a whimsical flow that is like nothing else.
March 7, 2017
Once again, another great story and atmosphere from Wes. Favourite scenes are at Summers End house and the Camp. Edward Nortons character deserves his own spinoff as I can't get enough of him and Camp Ivanhoe. Great acting all round but especially from Bill Murray, Ed Norton, the two leads and the boy scouts. Would have liked a bit more of a fuller soundtrack but it does have an absolute gem from Francoise Hardy that once again gets me onto a Wes Anderson spotify playlist and a brilliant choir song, "Cuckoo". It only lacks somewhat, when compared to The Grand Budapest Hotel, in the fairytale story that its title Moonrise Kingdom, would suggest.
March 6, 2017
One of the nicest tale of the 60's. This movie was esthetically perfect...
March 4, 2017
I really wanted to like this movie, but I found it boring even if it was stylistically beautiful. The acting was phenomenal. However the story was only mildly interesting in a "huh, there's a bug walking across the carpet, I wonder where it's going?" kind of way.
March 2, 2017
Loved the quirkiness and deadpan drama. The Khaki Scouts were the best!
February 25, 2017
While this movie is good, I feel like there were some moments that just didn't fit well to it.
February 20, 2017
absoulltely phenomenal and stunning film. Wes Anderson is an artistic genius in film
February 18, 2017
easily one of the best films ive seen this millennium - Must See, regardless of age-group
February 15, 2017
Wes Anderson's greatest achievement: a film that recaptures the magic of youth and maturity.
February 14, 2017
Stylish, sweet, poignant, and with an amazing attention to detail, Moonrise Kingdom is a showcase for the singular gifts of Wes Anderson.
February 13, 2017
With superb performances from its ensemble cast, Moonrise Kingdom is a heartfelt adventure about love and growing up, displaying Wes Anderson at his best with a great screenplay and typically great direction.
February 12, 2017
In typical Wes Anderson fashion, 'Moonrise Kingdom' is a beautifully filmed and perfectly symmetrical fairytale. Characterization is amazing as usual, as well as the dialogues: utlimately, this movie manages to be entertraining, uplifting and funny .
February 11, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is another movie directed by Wes Anderson that bares his distinctive and unique mark. The movie is set on set on an island, where Sam, a khaki scout who is orphaned, falls in love with Suzy, a girl who reads a lot to escape from reality.
½ January 30, 2017
A extremely delightful film full to the brim with the wit and talent of Wes Anderson.