Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

December 16, 2017
This film is such a whimsical, amazing piece of art, Wes Anderson does everything so so perfectly. I'm not ashamed to say that this is definitely one of my favorite movies and works of pure art, of all time.
½ December 11, 2017
Liked this better the second time around. It's a typical Wes Anderson film. It's quirky and stylized and mischievous. It got a bit boring towards the end but on the whole not a bad film.
November 27, 2017
Poorly written with a vague and nonsensical plot. The only reedeeming feature of it were it's artistic shots
November 24, 2017
The ease and simplicity of young "love" contrasted against the complex difficulty of adult relationships. Delightful Wes Anderson style.
November 14, 2017
Wew Anderson delivers another beautifully filmed and acted movie onto the big screen. Telling as story of young love and friendship, the film checks out greatly as one of the best Wes Anderson movies.
½ November 7, 2017
Absolutely loved this film.
½ November 5, 2017
beautiful story, theme, and directing.
October 27, 2017
Nothing great about this film!
October 23, 2017
I didn't see "Moonrise Kingdom" when it first came out in 2012, but seeing it five years later I will say it was a very exciting & sweet film. Wes Anderson's direction was magnificent; the cinematography was very unique (much like Anderson's other film, "Fantastic Mr. Fox"); the story was very down-to-earth with it's mixture of romance, adventure, & (surreal-like) comedy; & the acting was pretty great. Even though there were some risqué moments (particularly between the two main characters & one of the main characters was offered alcohol), I would recommend is film for families to watch since I feel they would enjoy it. "Moonrise Kingdom" proves itself as one of the best films of 2012, of the 2010's decade, of the 21st Century, & of Wes Anderson's filmmaking career!
Nominated for the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (although it lost to Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained"; another great film released that same year).
½ September 28, 2017
There's 90 minutes I'll never get back
September 24, 2017
Quirky feel good movie
½ September 12, 2017
This coming-of-age comedy has no laugh-out-loud scenes but it does have a few humorous moments along the way. It is a quirky film which, by the end, made me wonder what the whole point was. I always find it difficult to watch movies where children take the lead, though Hayward was quite convincing in her role. GGN
September 10, 2017
Very entertaining with all the colorfulness and symmetry Wes Anderson has been known for. Stunning performances, but with such a cast one couldn't expect less. As for the story, it's light and funny for the most parts and it has great potential to get viewers entertained for it's short runtime.
September 5, 2017
I get it, but it's not for me.
August 24, 2017
This movie is quirky and perhaps a little bit artsy, but I found it truly funny. I also love how they made the film appear to be more from the time period rather than modern coloring.
½ August 19, 2017
this was a waste of my time, honestly terrible.
August 17, 2017
Innocent and warm, Anderson is able to artfully display a story of two young loves while keeping it fresh and putting his own distinct style on this masterclass of a film.
½ August 15, 2017
Moonrise Kingdom is a sweet heartwarming coming-of-age comedic drama that showcases some great talent. That talent mostly being Wes Anderson who has crafted an authentic drama with some contemporary flavours. His direction is so quirky that it's hard not to fall in love with it. The centralisation of characters and objects with the camera, the still shots of the excellent production design, the side track panning as characters walk along and a nice 360 degree scene within a house. The stages built for those scenes just ooze design excellence and I have to admire the simplicity. We follow two 12 year olds who fall in love and plan to run away, but various authorities attempt to track them down. It's a basic plot but the animated characters and young performances help reinvigorate this exhausted genre. Our typical Anderson cast (Norton, Swinton, Keitel, Murray etc.) are all here again and give great performances. The awkward yet loving chemistry between our two young leads was moulded with care and tenderness that I found somewhat relatable. I'm sure back in our youth we all fell in love with a crush and wanted to run away from everyone...no? Just me then. Again, the production design was genius. I love how it purposefully look like it's built for a stage show as opposed to a cinematic piece, there is something so idiosyncratic about Anderson's choice of style that just makes it wonderful. Whilst all the above is all plain sailing, my major issue was with the narrative. I found myself somewhat disengaged until about halfway through. Right from the start, you are thrown in straight away with about 47 characters (completely accurate...) and a geography lesson of the island. Honestly I needed to get a notebook out. It was intimidating! Like an onslaught of quirkiness. It took so long for me to catch up and become invested that the short runtime of 94 minutes was nearly over. It's a shame, wish it was longer so that the plot development could take its time. However, it's a sweet film and Anderson's style is impeccable.
August 6, 2017
The middle part were the kids escaped and fell in puppy love wasnt so bad. However the rest was pretty atrocious and I didnt care for the directors style. Wes andersen directing is so jilting and over the top it truly takes away from the film rather than adding to it. I also hated the flat acting style. What was the point of this? Ugh for such a heartwarming plot it centered around being so cold calculated and distant.
August 3, 2017
The best way to describe this amazing movie is awkward romance. I love it so much it made me laugh so much.