Morning Light - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Morning Light Reviews

December 12, 2015
Interesting movie about an interesting topic
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 2/3/2011)
½ December 14, 2010
Very inspirational doc, especially since it's a Disney produced movie. I think if you're open minded then you'll enjoy this, even if you aren't into Sailing. That being said, I've always wanted to sail and this doc only makes me want to sail even more.
August 1, 2010
A well done documentary regarding a very talented group of young people, sailing as a team in the TransPac race from SoCal to Hawaii. Very well told story - concisely done, yet adequate time is given to selection of crew, training and the actual race.
January 28, 2010
a bit too disneyfied for my taste (especially the terribly awkward final credit sequence featuring members of the crew in a recording studio a la "saved by the bell"), but the story is a good one anyway.
½ January 1, 2010
If you've never sailed, you shouldn't watch this movie. If you think this was intended to be a blockbuster... to be judged on sales figures, pretty faces, star names... please stay away; you'd have no reference point nor would you, understandably, have the slightest reason to be interested in its content.

If you have sailed, on the other hand, you know exactly what it's about. It's not about editing or a story line. Even if it was just a story told around the dinner table or at a bar near some seaside, to a sailor it would be moving and engaging.

Beautiful views, settings, situations - the thrills, the frustrations - that can only be experienced from the vantage point of a boat being thrashed about on the vast, open sea. For what it was intended to be, this documentary hits the target.
½ December 22, 2009
It's a fine little documentary but it comes off more like a commercial for the race more than anything else. It tells us about the people chosen for the TransPac sailing race and their six month training. But it all goes really fast and then we are in the race and then it's over. There are eleven people on the team but we really don't take time to get to know them.
Plus there are voice overs read by the kids on the boat that don't have any emotion to them. That got old real fast.
½ December 11, 2009
Since my father has raced over 15 Transpac's over the years, I found this movie extremely special and very true to the feeling of the race.
½ November 29, 2009
if you're into sailing, the footage is amazing. a bit Disney but a great movie.
September 9, 2009
This was edited like an episode of The Hills and that took away from the emotional impact. The scenary is breathtaking though.
September 8, 2009
great filming and really cool story. exciting race too.
½ August 16, 2009
Not really my cup of tea. If you're into sailing you might enjoy this a lot, but most people will find it dull and bland.
½ July 10, 2009
Mostly a movie for people who love sailing for people that dont will still enjoy the story of the people and why there there.
June 24, 2009
People seem to dislike the documentary because they feel sailing is a rich man's hobby and somehow bring up the whole class-discussion into play. That's just weird and wrong.

When it comes to this documentary, I had my fears since it was from Disney who aren't exactly the hottest company in the world to make compelling documentaries.

I've sailed a few years, nothing professional, just a hobby and could understand what the documentary was about, but what I found really weird was that for a person who is not aquainted with sailing, there was 0 exposition into the sport. Nothing about how the ship functions, why the sailors are trimming sails at any given time etc.

It was like a camera was set to go alongside Morning Glory and everything left for the viewer to digest. The only tangible point for the viewer then is to concentrate on the characters. Here too, Disney falters as the 15 junior sailors (of which 11 take part in the competition) seem to be all happy happy joy joy throughout the documentary. You never get to know nothing about what makes them tic and when we get to the fabled Transpac race, it seems like 99,5% of the ships participating are captained by losers and Morning Light is competing against Samba Pa Ti only.

Documentaries don't need Reality TV factors to it, but they just need to be good documentaries that have an arc into them. This one didn't, but it's still worth a watch.
June 17, 2009
Good. I wanna part of sailing team too. But i know i am not worthy to be in a team, lack of endurance.
½ June 13, 2009
It was a very well made and interesting documeantary about sailing and a bunch of teenager's dreams i enjoyed it very much im saying see this film.
June 11, 2009
Feel like the idea was good but the narration by the various members were just horrible and I wasn't interested after about ten minutes.
December 15, 2008
I really enjoyed it.
December 13, 2008
This movie was great. It fills the void of sailing movies that has existed since Wind got boring. These 15 sailors did something incredible, and were inspiring for sailors of any age.
November 8, 2008
this movie is so good! even though i'm on the sailing team, i'm still learning tactics and termonology so it was really helpful that they explained certain aspects of what they were doing. this movie makes me wanna get out on the water now and sail! plus, meeting Roy Disney was AMAZING as well :)