Muppet Treasure Island Reviews

• May 05, 2019

So funny. So clever. So many quotable lines. Great Muppet adaptation of a classic. My only regret is that it didn’t have a higher budget. So many shots are so tight on the characters that it feels low budget sometimes. But I love love love this movie.

• Mar 25, 2019

Without the muppets as the central focus, but as role-playing gag fodder entirely, you have a flat retelling of a classic story where the humans can't be serious and the occasional laughs make you feel more like something's off.

• Mar 08, 2019

Telling the story in a way only the Muppet's could: with hilarious jokes, likable characters, and memorable music.

• Dec 03, 2018

Cute, harmless Muppets version of the pirate classic with a few songs thrown in for good measure.

• Nov 14, 2018

A magical Muppet adventure on the high seas! Muppet Treasure Island (1996) is a surprising joyful family comedy and drama adapting Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island novel with a silly twist. The Muppet characters are so goofy and fun, you cannot help but have fun. The puppeteer work is masterfully fluid and natural. You really just believe in these characters being portrayed by Muppets. The puppets themselves are so varied, colorful, and detailed that you are constantly treated to a wild slew of quirky characters. Brian Henson's direction is really nice and classically styled. His camera movements are so smooth and took a look into neat angles and odd perspectives that keep the pace moving quickly. Henson knows when to cut to the next scene, so that you are never bogged down with unnecessary narrative points to get to the next laugh. The bright lighting keeps all characters nicely illuminated, while the darker lighting gives an eerie candle lit quality to the indoors scenes. Henson directed Muppet Treasure Island with a clear vision for sweet characters and fun storytelling. You feel at home among these pirates and buccaneers. The musical aspect to Muppet Treasure Island is a real treat. The serious pirate songs are a trip into the dour, while the romance number is a tender tribute to Kermit and Miss Piggy. I liked the sillier tunes scattered throughout Muppet Treasure Island just to keep you entertained and never leaving a dull moment on screen. Tim Curry is a revelation as the singing Long John Silver. His charming care to the young Master Hawkins is endearing, while his triumphant piratical boasting is delightful. His singing voice is as powerful as when he graced us with it in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Curry delivers a phenomenal performance in Muppet Treasure Island adding a gritty realism to this pleasant pirate adventure! I actually appreciated the young child actor Kevin Bishop as the innocent and naive Jim Hawkins. His emotions seem genuine and he's clearly having fun being in the movie. His belief in these Muppets being real adds to the film a certain sincerity. Of course, the real stars of Muppet Treasure Island are the Muppets themselves. Gonzo the Great gives us his regular meta humor and nonsensical approach with Dave Goelz helming his puppetry with his usual outgoing personality. Steve Whitmire is wonderful as Kermit giving the frog an elegance and weight to his amphibious presence. Frank Oz is ever the steadfast puppeteer as Miss Piggy in all her massive splendor. I just love the use of so many puppets for Muppet Treasure Island. It always feels like there is a whole crew on the pirate ship set. Overall, Muppet Treasure Island may be the finest Muppet film for its thoughtful and quick paced direction, hilarious jokes, fun characters, tender moments, memorable songs, and wacky Muppets. Any audience member alone or with a family should find something to enjoy within Muppet Treasure Island!

• Jul 12, 2018

I think this may have been one of my first exposures to the Muppets when it was released so it does have a soft spot in my heart but nevertheless this is an enjoyable outing with good songs and some funny moments. In recent times they seem to have forgotten what made these characters what they are (The muppet tv show what were you thinking!). Tim Curry is great!

• Jun 10, 2018

One of the funniest movies of all time.

One of the funniest movies of all time.

• May 30, 2018

I like this movie, but mostly because of Tim Curry, who gives an absolutely brilliant performance (as always).

• May 13, 2018

The muppets are popular movies. For everyone, However I was not much for this one

• Mar 14, 2018

I remember watching this quite a bit back in the day as a kid. This was actually my first true exposure to the Treasure Island story and while it does have the main points of that book (to a point) it definitely has that Muppet feel to it all. Young Jim Hawkins (Kevin Bishop), goes on ad adventure after Billy Bones (Billy Connolly) dies giving him a map to Treasure Island where endless treasure awaits. Along with his friends Rizzo and Gonzo the three hire a crew led by Captain Kermit the Frog. On the ship Jim meets the kind, but mysterious Long John Silver (Tim Curry). Little does Jim knows, but Long John has much more to him than first meets the eye. Overall, a solid Muppet film that has some great musical sequences and some very funny moments. It's held up quite well for a movie that came out 22 years ago. I can't recommend this one enough and although some of the jokes are kinda corny I found myself still laughing along to this not so serious retelling of Treasure Island.