North Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

North Country Reviews

November 19, 2016
Excellent performance by Charlize Theron. Worth seeing.
September 8, 2016
Nice reenactment but the abuses seemed a bit over the top at times. I did not believe them all. The girls were incredibly unsupportive also to the class lawsuit. The daddy though was a good moment in front of the group. Shame on them all! Shame on them. Very nice and unusual side story with the boy.
Bradley T. Johnson
August 3, 2016
North Country is a film powered by extremely good intentions in presenting a woman and her journey of feminist equality. The issue dealt with is such an important and empowering one. However, there is something to be said about subtlety in dealing with these issues. Instead, North Country often falls into TV-movie trappings as it delivers its message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Awkward flashbacks intersperse with court scenes done with predictable and sentimental progression. While constantly wanting the movie to succeed, it ultimately feels too much like a history lesson that spells things out way too easily, instead of a film that lets the audience piece things together themselves. Charlize Theron tries hard, but the script is obvious and boring and she is lost among silly dialogue. As is Frances McDormand, a typically great actress, not given much to work with. The best parts of the film involve the relationship Josey has with her father. These form some of the strongest scenes. I love what North Country wants to say, but I became worn out by its lack of faith in the audience. Rating: 60
½ May 14, 2016
This is a great movie about a strong, determined woman who won't accept the abuse in her male dominated job.
April 29, 2016
Strong cast. Predictable, but compelling story.
½ February 12, 2016
The movie, "North Country" directed by Niki Caro revolves around the story of a single mother, Josie Aimes (played by Charlize Theron) who has to raise her two kids on her own for she was beaten by her past husband and leaves him behind. The movie is taken place in Minnesota during the eighties, where women were still struggling with gender equality, especially in the workforce. Knowing Josie is now alone, she applies to the mining business where pay is pretty good but she and the other women are treated very poorly by the other male workers, or in general being sexually harassed. The movie is based off of the first major and successful sexual harassment case in the United States: The Jenson vs. Eveleth Mines court case; and the true story of Lori Jenson who took a job at the iron mine in 1975, where she and her women co-workers received harassment from the other men working at the mine. Lori Jenson eventually files a lawsuit in 1984, and has helped change the face of sexual harassment, and women in the workforce. Again, the movie revolves around fictional character, Josie, who has been through a very rough time. She was basically disowned by her father for he is ashamed she got pregnant at sixteen, and rumors are spread around that Josie is very sexually active with a lot of men, giving her a bad name. She is disrespected by a lot of individuals, her son for one even hates her and begins believing all the rumors. Now working in the mining business, things take a sharper turn for Josie. All the men at the mines do not respect the women at all, saying the women shouldn't even be working in a place like the mines and that they are taking men's jobs. The men play dirty tricks on the women, putting things in their lockers that are completely inappropriate, creating messes where the women have to clean it up, getting close and trying to touch the women in inappropriate places, and overall leaving the women feeling totally helpless. Josie tries to explain the harassment to the manager, but the manager is already on the male side and later finds out about the rumors of Josie giving him more reasons not to believe her. Josie gets at her last end and quits the job, for she couldn't take the harassment any longer. She scouts out a lawyer and the case commences to reach a sense of gender equality in the workforce and for the women working to not be harassed by other men. The movie overall depicts the inequality of women and men during this specific time period and the hardships women had to go through in workforces that were considered a "man's" job. It is a very emotional drama, and is likely best for young adults or teenagers with the language and the terrible, terrible events some of the women, especially Josie, had to face throughout their life.
North Country was a very powerful movie with many emotional turns. It left me turning my face away to not see what's coming next because it was so hard to bear the harassment that occurred. It was a strong drama that seemed like events would never turn up good at the end where it was heading in the story. Though the movie itself makes you keep watching just hoping one sprout of goodness will happen for the strong-willed female lead. I was beginning to be impatient with the movie, hoping that "happy ending" would come soon and it became a bit too much with one bad predicament after the other. I did enjoy the characters, they each had a certain appeal to them and made you want to know more about them, as well as hope something good will come out for them. I did admire the heroine, Josie, for she did what she could to raise her kids on her own and to bring justice to the awful harassment that was endured on herself and the women in the mines. Part of me didn't really enjoy many of the men's roles for they all were the same inappropriate, childish, men and treated women very, very poorly, and there were only two or three that were alright towards them. I don't really believe men were that over the top of being prejudice to women at the time, but I do understand the message trying to be sent throughout the movie. The movie did overall produce a well-made story, giving brief context of this historical event, although it really is a very depressing motion picture.
I recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in knowing more about gender rights in the past, for it discusses the stereotypes of women and the idea of them in the workforce. If you like sad, emotional, and overall depressing movies then this one is for you. It just seemed nothing good was going to happen, again, one bad thing after the other. It seemed to drag on a bit so if you also enjoy watching longer movies it is also good for you. It just overall puts you in an emotional whirl and you really feel for each character along the way, hoping the case will be won by Josie. I would rate this movie 2.5 out of 5, for I did enjoy it but it was a little too depressing for my taste.
½ January 4, 2016
Holy shit, Sean Bean survived.
September 5, 2015
Charlize Theron's best performance is generally regarded as 2003's Monster (Patty Jenkins) But I would argue that this may be her best, if it isn't then it is certainly is right up there in the category for her best performance. The acting all around is just fantastic, Frances McDormand, Sean Bean, Woody Harrelson, Richard Jenkins and Sissy Spacek all give performances worthy of Oscar consideration, two of which were nominated Theron (for actress) and McDormand (for supporting actress). Also worthy of mention for good performances are early appearances by soon to be new comers Jeremy Renner, Michelle Monaghan, Corey Stoll and Amber Heard. Based on a true story that was the bases for not only sexual harassment law but a major advancement in equal treatment of woman in the workplace, a battle still raging to this day. The screenplay is another fantastic feature, and quite frankly I am amazed it took until 2005 for this story to be told in a movie. I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND this movie to any and everyone... absolutely amazing film. The fact that it was only nominated for two Oscars, and won none is nothing short of confusing.
August 22, 2015
Overly melodramatic but a nice enough story and a good performance by Theron carry the movie.
June 23, 2015
A powerhouse of a movie! Excellently acted and passionately directed by Niki Caro.
June 3, 2015
Sexual harassment wasn't a concern in the work place until 1984, when the first class action sexual harassment lawsuit was brought against the owners of a mine in Minnesota. This is the story told in the award winning film, North Country, which graphically shows the horrors these women had to face at work on a daily basis. Charlize Theron was amazing, portraying Josey Aimes, the woman who finally stood up and said enough is enough. Theron is the kind of actress who is usually overlooked because of the roles she takes. I had a difficult time judging what kind of an actress she really was until seeing her in the role of a lifetime. Portraying Aimes as realistically as possible, Theron really made the audience feel the struggle of a single mother, having to take a difficult job, just to put food on the table. We see how the harassment at work effected every aspect of her life and it actually changed my view on sexual harassment. As harsh as it sounds, I always viewed sexual harassment as a law created by people who were too serious and couldn't take a joke, but the story of Josey Aimes is no joke. No person, male or female, of any color, race, or sexuality, should ever have to face even half of what Aimes had to go through. This example is how you know that North Country is one amazing film, because any movie that can change a persons opinion on a subject, is worth it's weight in gold. Theron isn't the only gem in this film, as France McDormand also received an Oscar nomination for her role as a co-worker suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease. I also thought that Woody Harrelson deserved recognition for his portrayal of the attorney who represented the women. In 1984, there had never been a case like this, and for him to go out on a limb for something like this was truly special, and its reflected in his performance. From top to bottom this film is very solid, the cast is terrific, and the story is a historically accurate portrayal of sadly, a much overlooked moment in American judicial history. North Country is the kind of film that I truly believe every child should see before entering the work force for the first time. It is that powerful and also earns a spot on our list of must see movies!
May 20, 2015
Charlize Theron gives another great performance in this drama.
½ March 30, 2015
Great flick. Charlize Theron and Frances McDormand are awesome in this.
½ March 30, 2015
Great flick. Charlize Theron and Frances McDormand are awesome in this.
March 23, 2015
I found it involving and moving, with generally very convincing characterization and acting
½ March 16, 2015
North Country does get rather melodramatic at times, but it still tells an excellent story.
January 11, 2015
A powerful film with extremely amazing performances from Charlize Theron, Frances McDormand, Jeremy Renner, Richard Jenkins, Michelle Monaghan, and so on. It is written with strong power and it makes you cringe at the ignorance spouted out by some of the men in the movie. One of the best movies from 2005
½ November 23, 2014
North Country has a powerfully well told story and strong acting performances particularly from Charlize Theron and also examines the issues ranging from male dominance, sexual harassment and power in the workplace back then very well
October 14, 2014
good movie. great cast. good story...