Ocean's Eleven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ocean's Eleven Reviews

April 18, 2018
Strengths: Of course, the positives start with the extraordinary cast. You'd be hard pressed to find a better two men to lead something like this than George Clooney (Danny) and Brad Pitt (Rusty). They're both so charismatic and play off each other tremendously. Matt Damon (Linus) is great and possibly steals the show in this one. There's also top notch work from folks like Don Cheadle (Basher), Bernic Mac (Frank) and Andy Garcia (Terry). Typically, in a good heist film, the actual robbery is the best part. While it's good here, the highlight is seeing everything get set up and watching the pieces fall into place. The characters interact so well that I could've watched an entire film of just them putting the heist together. The film is well written, with sharp, witty dialogue. I've gone on record to state that I'm not a fan of Soderbergh flicks, but this series is the exception. It's well directed and he just gets what to do with characters.

Weaknesses: Parts of the movie seem to drag and it ultimately ends up feeling like it lasts longer than two hours. I also couldn't get into the Tess (Julia Roberts) character. I completely understood her point in the film and she's a big driving force behind Danny's plan. I just never felt any real connection or chemistry with her and Clooney. Also, while it makes sense for her to leave Terry after hearing what he said, she goes back to Danny, which feels out of character. It doesn't seem like Danny does enough to be deserving of that kind of redemption from his jilted ex.

Overall: This is just such a cool movie. Almost all the characters are enjoyable in some form, they're stylish and witty, making for a good time. The heist itself is cool and the setup for it is great. Throw in some great acting, writing, and directing and you've got a winner.
½ April 16, 2018
Cool as you can get, own all of the Ocean capers, or so they tell me. Because personally I wasn't overly impressed with any of the films, particularly the second instalment in the trilogy.
At any rate though, that is beside the point, since I am only supposed to be rating this one. So I will just get on with my review.
First of all I really enjoyed this one, I thought it was extremely fun and entertaining, easily the best film in the Ocean's series.
But outside of the following three things: (the formation of the team, the set up, and the impending arrival of the big heist), there isn't really that much to offer.
March 30, 2018
Don Cheadle, Don Cheadle, Don Cheadle. While I don't follow actors careers, Mr. Cheadle was the most hilarious of the characters. Brad Pitt's attire was quite sexy and quirky Matt Damon stuck it!
½ March 3, 2018
Soderbergh somehow makes everything in this tired genre work. One of the most effortlessly entertaining films of the 2000's.
½ February 21, 2018
An incredibly sharp, not to mentioned unbelievable it's sequencing of events but acceptable, this one well executed caper film, filled with great dialogue and a fantastic ensemble cast. Soderbergh's direction is the biggest star of the film.
½ February 13, 2018
Excellent remake, might be better than the first.
February 12, 2018
This is extremely fun and has an outstanding cast, wonderful music, an excellent story & script, and expert direction from Steven Soderbergh.
February 11, 2018
Well acted, shot and planned heist movie that plays through it's entirety without being too clichéd and overblown.
February 3, 2018
Works for its all star cast, heist/comedy, fun twists and turns.
January 30, 2018
The 2001 star-studded "Ocean's Eleven" features blockbuster names on a grandiose Las-Vegas scene. The heist genre has great potential and often a tendency to be predictable and cliche but Steven Soderbergh really delivers. The characters introduction left me confused initially. What does this gymnast have anything to do with breaking into one of the most secure vaults in existence? Why am I watching brothers race a truck beside a remote control car? These questions weren't answered until much later in the film but the payoff for patience was huge. The way Soderbergh brought the characters together so fluidly impressed me. Fast pace, split second timing and cleverly worded dialogue kept me enticed before everything came together to make sense.
I've never been fond of the love stories in the majority of films, I find them corny and over used. Initially I was disappointed to find out that Ocean's Eleven like most other films incorporated a "love story" into the mix. But Clooney kept his cool demeanor and Soderbergh puts the spotlight on his charm really playing to his strengths. The triangle in which romance was structured (Clooney, Roberts, and Garcia) added to the film further encouraging me to root for the team executing the heist even though they're supposed to be the "bad guys." I think the viewer is supposed to not like Terry, the owner of the casinos. He's the target. Arrogant, wealthy, seemingly untouchable, and he has the girl. It's implied a few different times that Ocean is not satisfied with her relationship with Terry. This is especially apparent when Terry rejects Beatrice's attempt to kiss him, because cameras were watching. Roberts responds by glaring at the floor as her body language reads disappointment. Roberts dissatisfaction foreshadows that Clooney will emerge victorious is winning her back. I didn't care for the ending in which Pitt and Clooney walk out to the car after Clooney exits jail to Roberts in the backseat of his car. I felt like the extravagant movie had a rushed ending that fell into the usual, protagonist wins the girl.
Brad Pitt does what Brad Pitt does in movies, eat. Matt Damons character is made to look almost like the younger brother to Pitt and Clooney. They don't allow him to do some of the dirty work like participate in the robbery in which they get the device that shuts down the power. Don Cheadle was exceptional and funny. "We're in Barney...rubble...trouble!" Stuck out as a clever scene in my head and sort of represents the word play throughout the film. Another scene, Roberts confronts Clooney and says "You're a thief and a liar" Clooney responds "I don't do that anymore" Roberts "Steal?" Clooney "Lie."
The creative character development, the sleek and cool feel, the wit, and even the playlist all intertwined perfectly and left me very impressed. Soderbergh was a maestro with film. I don't watch a lot of movies but Ocean's Eleven is certainly one I did enjoy and have watched more than once I look forward to writing on this film in more depth and detail.
January 29, 2018
While Ocean's Eleven may not be the most memorable film, it offers a clean style and some witty humour.
January 17, 2018
Disappointingly formulaic
December 31, 2017
Great popcorn flick.
½ December 29, 2017
An entertaining theft movie with a good twist towards the end. However, the recruiting part at the beginning is a bit too slow.
½ December 23, 2017
Some parts were a bit too slow but all in all great presentation
December 21, 2017
Seemed like some big actors were out of work for a couple of weeks, so they just gave them something to do for a while by rehashing an old script and adding "new", "cool" bits.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Un film que cumple con su objetivo de entretener, con singulares personajes y una exelente y convincente historia que te aseguran un gran momento de diversión.
½ December 16, 2017
Always pleasant to watch when on the telly.
½ December 4, 2017
Slick, stylish, and fun, Ocean's Eleven is one of the best heist films ever made. The star-studded cast are all at the top of their game, and each character is well-developed and well-acted. The story is nice and simple, allowing more focus on the characters and the heist. Overall, this is an expertly made film that knows what it is and nails it.
November 22, 2017
This is what a great reboot looks like.