Odd Thomas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Odd Thomas Reviews

May 5, 2017
I'm scared to watch this because I LOVE the Odd Thomas books and am afraid it's gonna suck. :-( I wish people would stop ruining some of my favorite books! *cough* Mark Waters *cough*
½ March 28, 2017
thoroughly enjoyed this movie
½ March 19, 2017
Love this movie, watched it before the tragic accident and watching it after makes it that much more touching. Great movie!
March 14, 2017
It was decent. I probably won't watch it again.
February 27, 2017
I absolutely love it. It's odd, quirky, and definitely something I've never seen before. I haven't read the book yet, but now I HAVE to check it out!
December 16, 2016
It was so good at grabbing your emotions, the idea and acting in the movie was so realistic. It was so realistic in fact that it made me cry.
December 12, 2016
I really liked it. Sort of otherworldly and interesting, not really horror though if you are a looking for a scare.
½ November 29, 2016
This is a likeable enough movie starring the late Anton Yelchin as a kind of male Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Odd Thomas lives in small-town America doing a mundane job in a diner, but also has the paranormal powers which give him the ability to see the dead and foresee coming dangers. He uses his powers to help the local police solve violent crimes and in return, the police provide him with alibis and cover stories. Odd begins to see visions that point to an imminent major disaster about to hit his town and with the help of his friends, begins to investigate and uncover a deadly plot. In places, the movie is disjointed and patchy. There are one or two elements that don't knit together quite as well as I would have wished with supplementary characters that don't really make sense but Yelchin is hard not to like and the ending of the movie was, for me, quite an unusually moving experience and not at all what I was expecting. It's a shame that more care wasn't taken over the editing and plotting which could have easily made the whole experience far more successful but as an oddball, fantasy movie, Odd Thomas has something a bit different to offer.
November 28, 2016
A respectable horror/comedy that is held together by the strength of Anthon Yelchin's performance.
November 21, 2016
Love the film and it had just encouraged me to buy the book series!
½ November 7, 2016
the books are great...mostly.
November 4, 2016
Great film - likeable characters are pulled through a tense, well-plotted mystery. Funny and emotional!
½ October 22, 2016
Odd Thomas is weird but a lot of fun. Yelchin proves his ability to keep an audiences attention thanks to his wit, emotion, and action ability.
September 30, 2016
I am a big fan of the book this adaptation is horrible and unfaithful.
½ September 26, 2016
Sometimes there is a movie that just clicks with you almost instantly. That was what happened when I started watching Odd Thomas. This film is kind of like a superhero film, but they skip over the origin. When we are introduced to Odd he has established great control of his powers, he has saved the day more than once, he has a comrade in the police department, and he has won the girl of his dreams. This is all the stuff we would ordinarily see in the first film for a super hero, but instead any origin we need is simply explained in brief clips of voice-over. It worked perfectly for me, as I totally understood the story and all the characters' motivations in a matter of minutes. With all that out of the way, the movie really delved into the complexity of Odd's world and his powers. I loved those scenes and it made me sympathize with him more, and that connection to his character strengthened the rest of the movie.

Anton Yelchin was perfectly cast as Odd Thomas. He has that quirky look, and was great at making Odd live up to his name without being annoying. If only he had not died so suddenly, but let's not talk about that because even thinking about it is depressing me. The surprise performance that really impressed me in the film was Addison Timlin. She was so charming as Stormy, and played the character in such a way that I genuinely believed she would fall for a guy like Odd. She added both heart and strength to the film, and I greatly appreciated that she was never portrayed like a damsel in distress. Willem Dafoe also deserves a mention because I always love when he plays against type and gets to be a good guy. His performance as a tough-as-nails-but-caring police detective was absolutely perfect.

The plot was thoroughly entertaining and loaded with surprising twists. Even in the moments when I predicted the twists I was so thoroughly engaged by the film that it didn't matter to me one bit. I will say, if I were to level a complaint against Odd Thomas it would probably be the fact that they might have over-explained some of the plot twists a little too early. Basically, as soon as Odd knew what happened, we had to know what happened in full detail, instead of allowing the viewer to have that "Ah-Ha" moment. It's not a major complaint, besides sometimes I like having a film spell things out for me, but its worth mentioning. I literally laughed, cried, and even jumped in surprise a few times while watching this movie. It was almost perfect for me and, while they set it up for a spin-off or sequel, I feel like it is best left alone since Yelchin won't be there to reprise the role. Highest recommendation!
September 14, 2016
Director tried to smush a 400 page book into about 90 minutes. It did not work.
September 11, 2016
Was entertaining. Plot was interesting. Might do well as a television series. I know I would tune in.
½ August 30, 2016
Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin) truly lives up to his name. He lives a mostly normal life working as a line cook at a diner in Pico Mundo. His girlfriend Stormy (Addison Timlin) works at a local ice cream shop, and everyone who knows the couple agrees they are meant to be together. But Odd has an unusual gift that constantly complicates his simple little life. Odd can see dead people.

The film opens with Odd seeing the walking corpse of a young woman. Rather than ignore the dead, Odd follows their lead and acts to bring justice to the people who killed them. In this case, the young woman leads Odd to the man who raped and killed her. Odd confronts the man, chases him through a stranger's house, and finally knocks him out. The police chief (Willem Dafoe) knows about Odd's gift and the two often work together to bring wrongdoers to justice, In return, the chief does everything in his power to keep Odd's gift a secret.

One day Odd has a vision that is worse than anything he has ever seen before. He sees the faceless bodies of people in bowling shirts calling out to be saved from a gunman who kills them all. When he sees a strange customer at the diner surrounded by bodachs, invisible creatures that feed on evil and the suffering of others, his worst fears are confirmed. A terrible tragedy is about to take place in Pico Mundo and Odd is the only one who knows about it. Working off his own psychic visions, he must piece together the fragments that he has seen to form a clear picture of what is going to happen. The safety of the entire town depends on it!

Directed by Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra), Odd Thomas is a fairly faithful adaptation of the Dean Koontz novel on which it is based. The quirky, sometimes hodgepodge tone of the book is a great match for Sommer's aesthetic. Yelchin is the perfect choice to play Odd, and the supporting cast of characters do a nice job in bringing life to this difficult story. Like the book, the narrative can often seem disjointed leading to a lack of focus to the main plot. The end of the book contains an emotional punch that does not translate as well to film. Some things just work better on the page. Still, Odd is a unique character, and it is fun to see him race against the clock to save the town that he loves. This film was mired in controversy as a dispute arose between some of the financers. Unfortunately, this delayed the theatrical release and severely hindered any promotional efforts. It was released on Netflix earlier this year to little fanfare. I would encourage any fan of mysteries, thrillers, supernatural fiction, and genre defying stories to check out this gem of a film.
August 29, 2016
Yep, definitely a bit odd.