On Chesil Beach Reviews

• Jun 16, 2019

Disappointing! It began so strong, with great acting, beautiful shots, an emotionally rich setup, hints at potential dangers to come. But the last 30 minutes ruin it: not one but TWO ill-timed flash-forwards and a pukingly sappy denouement that fails to tie up any of the interesting threads the rest of the film had posited.

• Jun 01, 2019

I get it, it’s well done. But awkwardly tiring. I’m 1/2 through and not waiting around to see what happens.

• Apr 27, 2019

The acting and cinematography are brilliant in this film. The awkwardness of the characters and what make them that way is made clear in a series of well shot and scripted flash back sequences. However, the ending of this film is feeble. Florence is traumatized by sexual abuse but can marry another man and have children, even though she loved her first husband and is totally horrified by sex. The cheesiest part is the final few scenes. Really? Why? Her child in the music store was bad enough but the final scene undoes all the great work leading up to it. Too bad I really enjoyed the character study and loved the acting, then...

• Apr 07, 2019

Oh my this is a painful, poignant viewing where you are just willing one of the protagonists to give way and tell them that everything will be alright. Set in the early 1960s, On Chesil Beach shows how a young marriage fails catastrophically due to pride and ignorance and things that are left unsaid. It is a bitter-sweet story that really touched my and much of the credit for this lies with the actors Saoirse Ronan and Billy Howle who play newlyweds Florence and Edward. They are great with Ronan in particular managing to bring a youthful awkwardness to her role.

• Mar 26, 2019

En la playa de Chesil [2018]

En la playa de Chesil [2018]

• Mar 14, 2019

Almost as good as the book.For those who didn't get it...I hope I never have to engage you in conversation.This is subtle theatre.Billy Howle's Edward was well 'fleshed out' and Saoirse Ronan redeemed herself after a tiresome Mary Queen of Scots biopic putting in a moving performance as Florence.In many ways a devastating film.

• Jan 30, 2019

A pretty good adaptation of the novel with some well-considered additions to suit the film.

• Jan 30, 2019

I have never read the novel upon which this is based and knew very little about the story. If someone had told me what the story was about I probably wouldn't have bothered because it doesn't sound like the most gripping of tales but I thought this was such a well told story of a couple's relationship that in it's beginning is idyllic and then becomes confused and broken due to societal pressure, a lack of communication, understanding and empathy. The film flashes back and forth from the start of the relationship and then forward to the couple's wedding night which worked well in explaining how they came to be in their current situation. There are also clever flashes that suggest how one half of the couple has been effected by past events but if you blink you will miss it. A great film with 2 very strong leads.

• Jan 29, 2019

Big props to Saoirse, but man, this was sad... yet in a removed sort of way where it doesn't really pack the punch until the end.

• Jan 29, 2019

There's no denying On Chesil Beach is a good adaptation that works solely due to splendid acting as some stories are far better read than watched. Telling the story of a young couple's first sexual experience doesn't require all this build up only to have the 'climax' be so anticlimactic and underwhelming. The movie is not to blame for this shortcoming and to be fair it's beautifully shot and as previously mentioned, thanks to Ronan and Howle's performances, is quite emotional. But the lack of moral to the story just makes for a terribly unfulfilling ending.