The Pianist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pianist Reviews

November 24, 2016
Polanski's Oscar winning WWII film is a must watch for any history buff and / or film buff. Masterfully made. This should be part of The Criterion Collection and should be on Blu-ray in the US.
½ November 18, 2016
4,5/5 Ratings for The Pianist
F:96%
R:4%
Critics Consensus: Well-acted and dramatically moving, The Pianist is Polanski's best work in years.
October 8, 2016
Very hard to watch, heartbreaking, and masterfully made. The Pianist is the rare film about the holocaust that doesn't sugarcoat and shows all of the brutalities.
October 6, 2016
An amazing, haunting performance by Brody.

Grade: A
October 2, 2016
9/10 an epic and deeply moving true story that matches schindlers list and the diary of Anne Frank
September 20, 2016
It must be the most perfect reenactment of a second world war story. The sets, the actors the effects were all so well played, so complete, it is quite an achievement. Polanski outdid himself. The film itself was of a quality that added to the realism of an old story. The color were reminiscent of old stock films as well. The explosions, the bullets, the dead, the fear, the desperation, all with the feel of real. Very few, the times when we could see a glimpse where the film looked like a construction. This film is a masterpiece that honours our hero, a well known pianist.
September 10, 2016
The greatest movie I never wanna see again
½ August 28, 2016
Roman Polanski's Oscar winning film about the persecution of the Jews in Poland, this is a true story about a famous pianist, and struggle to survive when the rest of his family have been taken by the Germans. This is a harrowing companion to "Schindler's List." Scenes of extreme brutality and man's humanity to man. One man's courage through those years of persecution. He never loses sight of his faith. Roman Polanski is a master filmmaker. Very emotional and moving.
August 26, 2016
Didn't blow me away. Piano wasn't played as much but story was crazy.
August 26, 2016
Adrien Brody gives the best acting I have seen from him that just energizes the brutal, yet powerful nature of The Pianist.
½ July 19, 2016
A very engaging and fantastically shot WW2 film which is one of Polanski's best films in years.

This movie retells the events of Wladyslaw Szpilman, a famous Polish pianist as he attempts to survive during WW2 and narrowly escapes death multiple times.

This movie may not be as brutal as "Schindler's List" was but it still contains several dark scenes which can be hard to watch. It showed to us that surviving the Holocaust was based on luck and it was easy to get killed. If you were weaker and unable to work, you'd be in danger of getting shot. "The Pianist" captures this element very well and that was what I really liked about it.

This movie is pretty tense because his fate is uncertain throughout the movie. He often hides in Nazi infested areas and his allies have to try their hardest to hide him. Often when his cover is blown, he only narrowly escapes death. Also, one scene in the film (which I won't give away because of spoilers) is so tense that it is guaranteed to make everyone who is not familiar with the true story tense up unlike anything else.

Also, I really love the cinematography. It really captures the sense of barrenness very well. Some of its scenes are so jaw-dropping, it's surprising that any movie could be able to film them. This movie is definitely a visual treat unlike anything else.

Adrien Body gave a great performance. In the beginning, he seems somewhat calm. As the movie continues on, however, his performance gets better as the tension gets higher. In my opinion, he gave the best performance in the movie. He stole the whole show. He is the actor we see most in this movie and he carries the movie expertly by himself.

In conclusion, this movie is by far a masterpiece. It contains everything I think is necessary is Holocaust films. It captures the brutality of the Holocaust very well, it has incredible cinematography, a consistent level of suspense, and it has a great lead acting performance. It fulfilled and went far beyond all of my expectations and it is a must-see film for these reasons.
July 11, 2016
The Pianist is a great film about never giving up, it's realistic, intense, emotionally powerful, and well-acted.
July 11, 2016
Every last frame of The Pianist is harrowing to the bone. Polanski tells a story so bare and unflinching that it is, at times, a downright struggle to watch. Adrien Brody gives the film a soul at the center of this bleak narrative with his dedicated and profoundly moving performance.
June 18, 2016
A touching story of a Jewish pianist in the Warsaw Ghetto and the help he received from a German official during the Second World War.
May 30, 2016
10 out of 10:

A well acted and beautifully crafted story makes The Pianist a touching classic.
May 21, 2016
The first half of the film deals with the plight of the Jewish people, an the second half, which contains little dialogue, deals with the plight of Szpilman. Based on a true story, the movie is interesting from an historical viewpoint. But I found it to be too long and with poor editing between scenes, some of which could have been excluded. I was also expecting to have more of an emotional connection with the lead character. AAN 1001
½ May 2, 2016
One of Polanski's finest. And with a heartbreaking and oddly calming performance by Adrien Brody. A story that has been told before in a number of ways and narratives, but not with this type of modern feel. Deserved Oscars all around.
May 2, 2016
Beautiful and charming movie if it's the right word to say about a Holocaust movie.
May 2, 2016
One of Polanski's best films to date, The Pianist is an adaptation of the autobiography from Szpilman who survived the Holocaust in Poland. The story is shockingly realistic, which makes it all the more disturbing. It is a beautiful story about the will to survive even under the most desperate times. Brody gave us one of his best performances. It's good but too disturbing for a second viewing.