The Pianist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pianist Reviews

May 3, 2017
a great great movie.
April 30, 2017
one of the best films i have ever seen
April 27, 2017
Very entertaining and beautiful looking film
April 9, 2017
It's wonderful when a movie has such a beautiful meaning. I hope with the help of music, genocides, and every action of suffering stop it's course in humankind. Respect each other, love each other.
April 4, 2017
A very engaging and fantastically shot WW2 film which is one of Polanski's best films in years.

This movie retells the events of Wladyslaw Szpilman, a famous Polish pianist as he attempts to survive during WW2 and narrowly escapes death multiple times.

This movie may not be as brutal as "Schindler's List" was but it still contains several dark scenes which can be hard to watch. It showed to us that surviving the Holocaust was based on luck and it was easy to get killed. If you were weaker and unable to work, you'd be in danger of getting shot. "The Pianist" captures this element very well and that was what I really liked about it.

This movie is pretty tense because his fate is uncertain throughout the movie. He often hides in Nazi infested areas and his allies have to try their hardest to hide him. Often when his cover is blown, he only narrowly escapes death. Also, one scene in the film (which I won't give away because of spoilers) is so tense that it is guaranteed to make everyone who is not familiar with the true story tense up unlike anything else.

Also, I really love the cinematography. It really captures the sense of barrenness very well. Some of its scenes are so jaw-dropping, it's surprising that any movie could be able to film them. This movie is definitely a visual treat unlike anything else.

Adrien Body gave a great performance. In the beginning, he seems somewhat calm. As the movie continues on, however, his performance gets better as the tension gets higher. In my opinion, he gave the best performance in the movie. He stole the whole show. He is the actor we see most in this movie and he carries the movie expertly by himself.

In conclusion, this movie is by far a masterpiece. It contains everything I think is necessary is Holocaust films. It captures the brutality of the Holocaust very well, it has incredible cinematography, a consistent level of suspense, and it has a great lead acting performance. It fulfilled and went far beyond all of my expectations and it is a must-see film for these reasons.
March 15, 2017
Different look at the holocaust. Follows one man through his entire ordeal as a Jewish victim by the Nazi's during WWII. Polanski deserved his awards for this. Wonderful. Everything about it. .
February 8, 2017
A truly moving film, up there with Schindler's List in getting a dramatic glimpse of the suffering and dehumanization the Nazis inflicted on Jewish people during WWII.
½ January 19, 2017
Depressing and bland. There wasn't much of a plot or not one I could make out anyways after losing interest. A wretched film that is extremely overpraised. (First and only viewing - 2/14/2009)
January 13, 2017
Nothing about this film is exceptional, but solid performances and a solid script make for an effective if not vivid film.
½ January 11, 2017
The most realistic(thus hardest to watch) holocaust movie that I've seen. Schindlers list touches on the atrocities but more from afar, this one, you get right into it, feeling all the horror like never before. At least in a cinematic sense of course.

Brody was superb, and I wish I knew it was a true story going into it. Another terrible reminder that evil is out there, and there is a lot of it.
January 8, 2017
Polanski's masterpiece. Couldn't be better acted.
January 6, 2017
A polanski masterpiece along with chinatown , Amazing performance by addrien brody , An emotional movie like that , performance like that , screenplay like that , cinematography like that and a director like that , all we can do i just stand up and clap

Just Amazing
November 24, 2016
Polanski's Oscar winning WWII film is a must watch for any history buff and / or film buff. Masterfully made. This should be part of The Criterion Collection and should be on Blu-ray in the US.
½ November 18, 2016
4,5/5 Ratings for The Pianist
F:96%
R:4%
Critics Consensus: Well-acted and dramatically moving, The Pianist is Polanski's best work in years.
October 8, 2016
Very hard to watch, heartbreaking, and masterfully made. The Pianist is the rare film about the holocaust that doesn't sugarcoat and shows all of the brutalities.
October 6, 2016
An amazing, haunting performance by Brody.

Grade: A
October 2, 2016
9/10 an epic and deeply moving true story that matches schindlers list and the diary of Anne Frank
September 20, 2016
It must be the most perfect reenactment of a second world war story. The sets, the actors the effects were all so well played, so complete, it is quite an achievement. Polanski outdid himself. The film itself was of a quality that added to the realism of an old story. The color were reminiscent of old stock films as well. The explosions, the bullets, the dead, the fear, the desperation, all with the feel of real. Very few, the times when we could see a glimpse where the film looked like a construction. This film is a masterpiece that honours our hero, a well known pianist.
September 20, 2016
September 10, 2016
The greatest movie I never wanna see again