Pin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pin Reviews

January 25, 2016
I saw this late at night when I was ~20 years old and was captivated by it. It was not surprisingly underrated as a Canadian film. I had never seen anything like this nor have I since. It is low-budget, believably acted, and to me, realistic. This is a psychological drama, rather than a horror. There is no gore. It deals with a sever personality disorder, similar to The Beaver with Mel Gibson.

The film is difficult to find, but well worth seeking out, as I have since I originally watched it. I introduced the film to friends and they found it just as intriguing and captivating.
January 18, 2016
The most intriguing Psychological thriller ever. it's about the workings of a paranoid schizophrenic. The film begins with a son (Leon) and daughter (Ursula) whose father is emotionally distant by talking to them through an anatomical dummy. Ursula knows that Pin is voiced by her father, but Leon believes Pin is a real part of the family. Leon who has no friends finds Pin means of comfort and a friend. The father also has an odd obsession with Pin. As Leon grows up, his delusions become magnified following the death of his parents. I don't want to give away rest of the story, but if you can find the movie which is currently unavailable. ; watch it.
½ December 6, 2015
Worth a look. Pretty good.
July 6, 2015
While not scary, it more than meets the criteria to be creepy
October 24, 2014
Seldom is this film spoken of and that's a shame. Impressively written and directed by Canadian filmmaker Sandor Stern (who is probably best known for scripting THE AMITYVILLE HORROR), this underrated psychological thriller comes as a rare and welcome surprise, especially at a time when Freddy, Michael Myers and Jason were hacking their way through theaters... A different sort of 80s horror--Psycho meets Flowers in the Attic... Don't be a dummy-see Pin!!
May 16, 2014
Terrific performances made this a very creepy experience. There isn't tons of blood and nudity, so it doesn't fit the 80's horror movie mold very well, but the story is interesting and Pin is such an unsettling character that I couldn't turn away.
½ April 17, 2014
Thursday, April 17, 2014

(1988) Pin
PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR DRAMA

I tried to watch this for a second attempt so that I can post a review on here, but for some reason, it's much more unbearable to watch for a second time. Co-written and directed by Sandor Stern adapting the Andrew Neiderman novel, which from the movie standpoint has many familiar remnants to "Psycho" as well as other William Castle classics.

Nothing really happens until the very end which the mute thing that's on the wheel chair seen from on the window from outside may not be what it appears to be. It's quite drab and dull.

2 out of 4 stars
themoviewaffler.com
½ December 7, 2013
A psychosexual horror thriller about an anatomically correct anatomy medical dummy should be loads of tacky fun. In the hands of Sandor Stern's stolid direction we get a thriller melodrama that is a crossbreed of Psycho and Magic with the syrupy sheen of a made for TV Hallmark film.
Based on the novel by Andrew Neiderman (who also wrote "John Grisham meets The Omen" thriller Devil's Advocate, which itself was loosely readapted for film as an Al Pacino blackly comic ham-fest), Pin tells the story of Ursula (Preston) and Leon (Hewlett), raised in quiet suburban seclusion by their father Dr Linden (O'Quinn) and mother (Mantel). Dr Linden has a facility with ventriloquism which he uses to give a voice and character to Pin, the anatomist dummy in his office. By turns enrapturing his children and using Pin as a means of bestowing wisdom and lessons, all is well. However, as the Linden children grew up, Ursula may have developed a taste for parties and teenage sexual encounters, but Leon has grown an unhealthy attachment to Pin that may spark into tragedy.

The loss of identity and split personality themes fit the thriller genre like a glove; De Palma has pretty much made a career out of it. Pin may tread well worn ground, but it does develop its characters and has a genuine air of melancholy. This is a movie where the writing is much better than the direction. Stern is an old hand at television and in this, his only cinema release, he doesn't transcend the medium; the whole movie feels shackled. It politely mumbles itself through such queasy scenes as Leon witnessing his own sisters abortion performed by their father, and the increasingly unhealthy sibling relationship is too discreet, as if in fear of losing a TV sponsor. Ursula may also be the most wholesome good time girl in all of cinema; when Stern does embrace bad taste with a scene involving a nurse having sex with Pin (which implies he's anatomically correct in all the right places) we get a hint of the febrile psychosexual delight this could have been.

Its failings as a horror movie are also what differentiates it from most of its ilk. By empathizing so deeply with Leon it stages events as tragedy, a gradual erosion of the person with every act he commits, rather than horror set piece. Leon may be doing monstrous things but he is never viewed as a monster. The performances are all uniformly good, although O'Quinn has a hard time removing the shackles of The Stepfather, his doctor father here seeming just a little too sinister.
In the end this is a tragedy hiding in horror clothing, a film ending on a grace note of sadness rather than winking at a possible sequel. You just wish it was directed with a little more brio. Like its lead actress, it wants to be slutty but is a little too Laura Ashley for its own good.
(Review by Jason Abbey)
TheDudeLebowski65
½ November 24, 2013
Psychological horror films are often hard to accomplish. The reason is that they have to manipulate your mind in such a way that you are genuinely afraid of what's going on on-screen. With Pin, you get exactly that, this is one of the finest examples of what psychological horror films should be. With a great cast of actors, Pin is a bone chilling film that will grab your attention from start to finish. The film boasts a very good cast and terrifying moments. This is a brilliant execution in the genre, and the psychological aspect of the movie really does stand out because the lead actor who plays Leon is so convincing. The film has some tense moments of sheer terror and it goes deep into your conscience. Leon is a paranoid Schizophrenic who thinks that Pin, an anatomically correct dummy is alive and he uses it to control his sister. The film is simple, but it's effective in showing the downfall of mental illness when it goes untreated and the result is terrifying. I was pleasantly surprised with the film, and it is one of the finest of the psychological horror genre of film. The cast are very good here, and the story is engaging, thrilling and it always leaves you on the edge of your seat. To any genre fan looking for a well crafted horror film, Pin is definitely a fine choice. This film goes deep in the human psychosis, which adds to the terror that unfolds on-screen. Now is this a masterpiece, it isn't, but it definitely one of the finer examples of psychological horror done right.
October 19, 2013
It's not a great horror film, but it has a pretty original plot and is worth a watch.
October 12, 2013
Wonderful story. Pin is about a young man who believes that his medical dummy Pin is alive and communicates with him frequently. This movie is really about mental illness. It isn't glorified, and deals with the characters and how they deal with those around them that are mentally ill. The acting is top notch and very endearing.
½ August 9, 2013
Not what I expected, I thought it would be a load on New Zealanders talking about stationery
March 13, 2013
One of the creepiest films I have ever seen.
December 9, 2012
On Netflix Instant Watch, this is an original, creepy, unsettling and well-done little psychological tale of family matters gone wrong. Good '80s stuff!
½ October 27, 2012
A schizophrenic engages in a verbally communicative relationship with a medical dummy. Twisted and demented but also very good. Certainly one of the best Canadian made films ever.
October 5, 2012
I love this flick, A movie that plays with your mind!!!!
September 20, 2012
one of my all time favourite movies! so creepy and weird and disturbing i love it!
September 19, 2012
Possibly the strangest film I have ever seen but my life is fuller for watching it! (MM)
July 4, 2012
(Watched Sat 28 Apr 2012) A weird little horror thriller, one of those creepy video covers you saw on the racks at the rental shop when you were a kid but doesn't stand up to expectations after all those years.