Ping Pong Summer Reviews

• Oct 26, 2019

Pretty cool flick bringing back some good memories.

Pretty cool flick bringing back some good memories.

• Dec 22, 2018

Cute little movie that stuck true to its era!

Cute little movie that stuck true to its era!

• Nov 26, 2018

Here's my time-travel tip for fixing this movie. The family should be modern and Rad should be a typical kid who is addicted to technology. Then when they arrive in this town, it's stuck in the 80's. No cell service makes him ditch the technology and lost luggage leads him to wear clothes found in a dresser. Then this modern kid experiences all the clichés of an 80's summer movie. Without that kind of twist, it's just all the clichés of a summer movie for no reason. Plus it still bothers me that he likes ping pong so much that he travels with his own paddle, but he is so bad at it that he can't score one point against the bully in the first match? I watched this movie because I have Amy Sedaris set to auto-record and she rules. I want to be friends with Amy Sedaris. That's what this is really all about.

• Jan 16, 2018

How Susan Sarandon and Leah Thompson got roped into this debacle is quite the mystery. The best description of this endeavour is table tennis meets the Karate Kid in an east coast resort town during a 1980's summer vacation. A plethora of dilettante actors struggle to deliver on the razor thin script. How this film surpassed it's VHS lifespan is another mystery. In the end even the ping pong scenes are a letdown. So many unsolved mysteries yet so few reasons to watch this homage to 80's summer films.

• Jun 04, 2017

the nostalgic experience is universal with this one (well for those of us that spent childhood in the burbs and summers at OC). It has a sort of lighthearted magic and laugh out loud hilarity at times. I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

• Jan 11, 2017

good period pic got the music right.

good period pic got the music right.

• Sep 05, 2016

what in the hell did I just watch?

what in the hell did I just watch?

• May 26, 2016

good movie reminded me of my 2 cousins

good movie reminded me of my 2 cousins

• May 22, 2016

I like playing table tennis more than I like watching this movie

I like playing table tennis more than I like watching this movie

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Mar 06, 2016

I liked some things about this movie and others not so much. First the pluses - I loved the 80's setting and the quaint little town it is set in. It bought back a lot of 80's memories and familiar sights (and fashions). Just based on this alone, I liked it. Now the not so good - the ping pong. I mean, okay, it's in the title. I can't claim to be shocked that this movie is a lot about ping pong. But wow. Boring. The young cast are unknowns. I guess I can understand why they went that way as it does help the feel of the movie to not be distracted by famous faces. Though not all of them are great. It kind of has the feel of an 80's movie you could rent for $2 on video and never have heard of. Probably exactly what they were going for. The older cast include Amy Sedaris, Lea Thompson and Susan Sarandon. Overall a movie I liked but didn't love.