Red Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Dragon Reviews

September 15, 2017
It was far better than "Hannibal" but far worse than "The Silence of the Lambs"
September 7, 2017
My Mom Kelli Krajci Really Enjoyed This Movie.
½ August 30, 2017
Not bad - if you watch in chronological order it sets the scene very well and is a lot more thought provoking than Hannibal. Good supporting cast by Edward Norton
½ August 23, 2017
Let's take a perfectly good movie (actually better than good!). Throw money and 'names' at a remake and come up with an infinitely inferior film. Watch 'ManHunter' and leave this turkey well alone.
½ July 6, 2017
Not as great as The Silence of the Lambs, due to script issues, but totally dark twisted.
June 29, 2017
While many prefer Manhunter, when seeking a film dealing with Doctor Hannibal Lecter's arch-rival FBI Special Agent Will Graham and Hannibal's subsequent capture/interrogation by him, I prefer Ratner's film. The interrogation serves to aid in pursuit of Francis Dolerhyde, a serial killer with depth and complexity approaching Hannibal himself, calling himself "The Red Dragon" or as the media names him "The Tooth Fairy". The character of Will Graham fascinated me, especially in one of the most electrifying sequences of the film, the introduction. The way in which Lecter and Graham have a rousing converstion in which Graham pieces together evidence, alarming Lecter with proof of Graham's intelligence. Lecter's depature and subsequent return, (during which Will discovers very convincing evidence) to initiate a murderous attack on Will, are exciting as he attempts to bleed the poor FBI agent out. Will keeping his wits stabs Lecter with a handful of arrows (cultural objects, something Hannibal is fond of collecting), and subsequently shoots Lecter to subdue him, before passing out from severe blood loss. Truly worthy of being one of the defining moments in the Lecter trilogy and establishes Will Graham as a man with the will to face Hannibal on his own terms, unlike Clarice Starling who is often shown as being intimidated by Lecter's strong mind & force of will. The ending also evokes great respect for Will Graham & his intelligence as well the sacrifices he makes to stop these sick & monsterous serial killers. I found Ed Norton's Will Graham to be a satisfying foil for Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter, the criminal genius versus the forensic genius.
June 18, 2017
A thriller made from a completist's checklist rather than with a cultist's passion.
½ June 8, 2017
Quite slow but really good when it gets going. Definitely worth s watch
May 29, 2017
Ratner takes us back to the feel of "Silence ofthe Lambs" that would've been nice to keep consistent for the series had Ridley Scott's dreadful "Hannibal" failure decided to do the same.
April 10, 2017
A vast improvement over the 1986 version of Manhunter. Effectively scary with Anthony Hopkins again in the role he plays so well. It's the kind of movie that still creeps you out hours after you've seen it. (First viewing - Summer 2006)
March 20, 2017
Terrible and boring. Norton is not a good actor (his performances in every film he's done are the same), Ralph Fiennes and Hopkins are completely over the top in their roles. Nowhere near as good as 'Manhunter'
March 13, 2017
Edward Norton & Anthony Hopkins in the same film...what could possibly go wrong?
Not much... I enjoyed it, good performances from all & a twisty plot that keeps your heart pumping.
February 1, 2017
A rivetting sequel/prequel by Brett Ratner. Starring Edward Norton, Ralph Fiennes and Anthony Hopkins
December 29, 2016
É sempre bom voltar a ver Anthony Hopkins como Hannibal Lecter, mas neste filme, pouco faz. A cena de abertura (um flashback) é o mais interessante, de resto, nunca sai da sua cela. As personagens principais são Edward Norton (bom trabalho embora não ter tido que se esforçar demasiado) e Ralph Fiennes (o melhor no filme, com uma presença intimidante e credível). É uma prequela que não chega nem perto do que foi Silêncio dos Inocentes, mas agradável o suficiente para um casual e bom para fãs.
December 19, 2016
Considerably full of bad acting (Norton) or but directing, honestly I cannot tell...
½ December 4, 2016
Very true to novel, my only complaint would be that its constructed in a manner that reads as slightly repetitive.
½ November 20, 2016
An entertaining thriller but very much treads the same territory as Silence Of The Lambs and therefore doesn't add much as a prequel. It's good but not one to linger in the memory as Lambs does/did.
November 1, 2016
great movie with an awesome story and numerous memorable scenes. great acting and an awesome villain. intriguing throughout. loved the directing. this movie is pretty much perfect (2 viewings)
½ October 20, 2016
Reliving Hannibal. The only thing I hated from Rattner's treatment is the ponytail on Lecter from the dinner shot, otherwise its better seen so many years later -- oh, if only the mighty Hannibal would eat them free range rude like Donald Trump.
½ September 29, 2016
Watched 'Red Dragon' again tonight for the first time in some years, and I was rather impressed. I recall liking it on the first viewing, but I enjoyed it just as much this time, if not more. All the cast play their respective roles very well, but of course Anthony Hopkins shines as the intelligent but insane and creepy Hannibal Lecter, and Ralph Fiennes is equally brilliant as the primary 'Red Dragon' villain.

'Red Dragon' is also well paced and proves Brett Ratner is a capable director given the right material and careful effort. It's a shame that he hasn't succeeded in making more films of this quality. I watched this on Blu Ray, and one other thing to note here is that the picture quality is strong, but the audio design in particular is executed very nicely at just the right cinematic moments and sounds good in surround. 4.5/5