Red Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Dragon Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
Very true to novel, my only complaint would be that its constructed in a manner that reads as slightly repetitive.
½ November 20, 2016
An entertaining thriller but very much treads the same territory as Silence Of The Lambs and therefore doesn't add much as a prequel. It's good but not one to linger in the memory as Lambs does/did.
November 1, 2016
great movie with an awesome story and numerous memorable scenes. great acting and an awesome villain. intriguing throughout. loved the directing. this movie is pretty much perfect (2 viewings)
½ October 20, 2016
Reliving Hannibal. The only thing I hated from Rattner's treatment is the ponytail on Lecter from the dinner shot, otherwise its better seen so many years later -- oh, if only the mighty Hannibal would eat them free range rude like Donald Trump.
½ September 29, 2016
Watched 'Red Dragon' again tonight for the first time in some years, and I was rather impressed. I recall liking it on the first viewing, but I enjoyed it just as much this time, if not more. All the cast play their respective roles very well, but of course Anthony Hopkins shines as the intelligent but insane and creepy Hannibal Lecter, and Ralph Fiennes is equally brilliant as the primary 'Red Dragon' villain.

'Red Dragon' is also well paced and proves Brett Ratner is a capable director given the right material and careful effort. It's a shame that he hasn't succeeded in making more films of this quality. I watched this on Blu Ray, and one other thing to note here is that the picture quality is strong, but the audio design in particular is executed very nicely at just the right cinematic moments and sounds good in surround. 4.5/5
September 27, 2016
Good movie. With disturbing scenes, and great acting.
September 5, 2016
4 stars. A very good film. Characters portrayed well.
July 21, 2016
1991's The Silence Of The Lambs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 19, 2016
As scary as any of the others in the series.
July 19, 2016
God I wish something like this would have a 'cinematic universe' like the Marvel films. Because that's what it essentially is. It's a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, with many of the same charters, but with a different killer. I would love to see more movies like this in the same universe. Great acting, a terrifying and sympathetic villain, and great visuals. Please more of this.
July 15, 2016
Ray Fiennes and Anthony Hopkins produce good material. Some parts seem slow and dreary, but that is Manhunter AHEM! Red dragon!
½ June 4, 2016
I would have to say this movie is better than 'Hannibal'. Everything is great even though it is like 'Silence of the Lambs'.
June 2, 2016
Brilliant, transformative psychological drama. Anthony Hopkins is startlingly creepy, yet sharp as Hannibal.
May 21, 2016
It feels very old for a 2002 movie. I can imagine it would be better if you haven't seen the TV show Hannibal. Anthony Hopkins was obviously good, but they didn't use him very much, and when they did use him, he just felt like a pawn, like something they used to bring people in to seeing the movie. Edward Norton is a good actor, but I have seen the TV show and I just think Hugh Dancy is better! All the supporting cast was pretty forgettable, except Jack Crawford was a little better, and the actor playing him was good, but obviously Laurence Fishburne is better. Even if you haven't seen the show, just knowing Fishburne is in it and plays Crawford is enough. This is a good crime thriller, but just an alright "Hannibal Lecter" movie, and obviously not superior to the excellent Silence of the Lambs! But I did like this movie overall. It didn't feel too long, but it could have been shorter. I think my favorite part is the last scene, it really ties into Silence of the Lambs, and makes it feel like the first in a series, or I guess technically a prequel since it came out after. Definitely worth watching if you liked Lambs, or if you're fans of Norton or Hopkins!
May 21, 2016
A worthy sequel with great performances.
½ May 7, 2016
Number 2 of 4 in this popular Hannibal Lecter series, but I'd say it's the weakest of the bunch definitely. It's set quite a way after the previous film, where Dr Lecter is all grown up, been committing crimes for a while and has just been sentenced to life imprisonment in the infamous cell of the mental hospital. On this occasion, it's the man responsible for his capture that comes out of retirement to pick up the chase for another sadistic killer called the 'Tooth Fairy', who it is thought has a connection with Lecter. Months after their last encounter, the two men from opposite sides of the law reunite in psychological warfare with the FBI agent attempting to interpret Lecter's endless riddles and warped mind as a means of finding clues to the identity and whereabouts of this new threat on the scene. It's very much along the lines of Silence of the Lambs in its plot, what with the Tooth Fairy acting as an alternative to Buffalo Bill. I just don't think the former is a strong enough villain though and by making him what seemed the prime bad guy ahead of Hannibal, seemed a detrimental thing to do. Hopkins character is one of the most gripping characters in film history, and his every word and movement is sinister to the max. I love this iconic role but his involvement was too secondary for my liking and the overall story suffered as a result. It's still a good watch as these films are some of my all time greats but it's notably not on a par with any of the others. To its credit, it does lead nicely into the more famous 3rd chapter of the tale and pieces the jigsaw together quite nicely. Im sure there's still room for another episode to be released, perhaps with a middle aged Lecter taking to our screens, but I would worry that further instalments would really start to degrade what is an amazing sequence of films.
April 10, 2016
Not as subtle as The Silence of the Lambs but this is a reviting and well made thrill ride with a brilliant cast
April 5, 2016
Silence of the lambs and Hannibal are just overrated crap. But this is a very scary movie. It is one of the scariest movies of all time. The 80's version of this movie Manhunter was pretty good. This one is better. This is the best Hannibal movie. Very scary.
½ March 20, 2016