Repo Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Repo Man Reviews

June 9, 2016
Refreshingly Unconventional And Entertainingly Absurd!
½ October 30, 2014
A load of fucking nonsense really.
May 28, 2016
A really lousy and boring movie. Don't know and don't care what it is going on. There's a Chevy Malibu with a weird driver. A cop pull it over and check the trunk and once open the bright flash light disintegrate the cop, leaving the boots only. Emilio Estevez is a young punk who needs money. Harry Dean Stanton pays him to help drive a car and turns out he is a repo man. Emilio didn't want to work but for the sake of money he agree. Then they start to drive around and talk which is aimless and boring. Emilio repo one car and then fetch a passerby Olivia Barash who is chased by some government officials. She is a UFO club enthusiast. Then another repo gang manage to get the Chevy but stolen away by some bad robber friends of Emilio. A secretive CIA team is also hunting for that car. Then it continues to get boring until the two repo company combine to fight the CIA to see who can get the Chevy first. The end part is weirder with the sides showdown. One of the weird mechanic go in the Chevy and it become a flying craft. Totally dumb shit movie.
March 21, 2013
There's something that just felt off throughout the whole movie. It wasn't necessarily pacing, but more like all the scenes just sort of moved from one to the next without the characters or me caring about what was happening. Maybe I just dont understand the 80's punk lifestyle but the Emilio Estevez seems more bored than angry throughout the movie. Listen to any interview with Henry Rollins or Jello Biafra and you'll see what I mean, I dont know maybe I'm just missing the point of some of the stylistic choices..

Anyways the music can be pretty great at times, and the extremely tongue in cheek satire is appreciated.
March 14, 2016
One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. I don't know why I even watched it to the end?
February 21, 2016
This film fucking rules. If you love punk and cult classics this is your film. Alex Cox Flawless eye for detail with the acting chops of Emilio Estevez make this film one of the best 80s the rivaling the likes of evil dead 2 and star wars empire strikes back. This is like a combination of your goofy si fi classic will please any film buff who keeps 80s nostalgia close to there hearts
February 9, 2016
On paper, this should be one of my favorite movies. Grungy 80's cult movie with aliens, punk culture, and black comedy..but somehow it never lives up to its potential. Maybe I'll give it another chance some other time.
½ February 4, 2016
Repo Man's influence on me as a 12 year old is probably equatable to how most kids feel about going to see a professional sporting event for the 1st time. It changed my life, for better and worse. The only strike against this masterpiece is the spooky scifi towards the end, but on the other hand, it's just this surreal, dark campiness that makes it so great. One of the top five soundtracks of my life....
½ January 22, 2016
Although toted by many as a classic, this film does not leave anything other than two questions; How and why was this made?
½ January 4, 2016
Wild, inventive, and punk as fuck, Repo Man is just a flat out great time from beginning to end.
January 4, 2016
I'll just say outright that I don't get this film. It has a somewhat decent scifi premise but only a few scenes expand on this. Mostly this is just bad comedy bits and other bits of nonsense strung together. I was not a fan.
½ December 25, 2015
an off the wall blend of sci-fi, camp, comedy and punk that amounts to a treasure trove of quotes.
½ December 19, 2015
I had never seen this before, and glad I finally watched this Cult Classic! So amusing and bizarre, Loved it. Estevez and Stanton are great, and theme song by Iggy Pop. A must watch!
½ December 6, 2015
An interesting slice of 80's urban hillbillies, thug-punk flavored, with bits of new wave. Really good soundrack. Some tableaux are so strangely offbeat they are Lynchean for a second, like southern gothic stranded in the middle of LA, but it sometimes becomes just odd, 10 miles past hammy and awkward ( it might be what they aim for, though). The story takes its time and sometimes takes leaps that are not ideally assembled but on the way it drops interesting flashes about the mindset of the period. Most characters are so dim, with motivations and behavior that are so ill thought out, its hard to put up with them but again they offer a good picture of the American dream going down the drain.
November 27, 2015
11/26/2015: Not a good movie. The acting and story were both pretty bad. I don't understand the high scores.
½ October 11, 2015
Leisurely rambling weirdness.
September 4, 2015
Alex Cox was mildly Godardian. This and the Sid Vicious biopic, Sid & Nancy, were really quite wonderful and then nothing. Repo Man was insanely watchable, though, and once you've seen it it's nothing you'll ever forget.
½ August 5, 2015
"Look at those assholes, ordinary f#@!ing people. I hate 'em."

Welcome to Alex Cox's surrealistic and absurdist take on apocalyptic satire of mid-1980's American culture.

Otto is frustrated, angry, lonely, horny and bored teenage Punk. Dumped by his girl for his best friend he stumbles into a "job" as apprentice to the role of "Repo Man" for the Helping Hand Acceptance Corporation -- which is actually just a front for a repossession agency where the words and ideas of "law" and "ethics" have no place. Otto quickly discovers that this job and company are far more "Punk" than anything he has seen.

Soon he is caught-up in an odd sexual trust, breaking laws, US UFO Conspiracy, Xmas Tree Shaped hanging Pine Tree Scented Air-Freshners, Governmental intrigue and a nuclear contaminated 1964 Chevy Malibu that hides a "Top Secret" weapon in its trunk.

A very young Emilio Estevez is Otto and The Great Harry Dean Stanton is his mentor on this Neo-Punk Adventure. An all-too-quick glimpse of a performance by LA's infamous Circle Jerks and a post-industrial wasteland all take part in this low-budget Cult Film Masterpiece.

This is as close to true middle-class US PUNK as you're going to get.
Over the years this film has managed to become a nostalgic symbol of a time and a rebellion long gone. A must see.
½ July 17, 2015
Repo Man is a punk rock "fuck you" to everything about the inane, junk obsessed, apathetic consumer culture that we find deafening out anything even remotely substantial in our lives every day, it applies both to the style and surface addicted 80's and the status and fame addicted 2010's, sometimes you just want to get in that glowing car and fly the fuck away from it all so you dont have to hear it.
½ June 23, 2015