Repulsion Reviews

• Jun 12, 2019

So dark and haunting. Truly a Polanski masterpiece. Rosemary's Baby is my favorite movie of Polanski.

• May 20, 2019

Great classic black and white horror film about a girl left on her own as she declines into madness. Give it a watch if you are into older horror films, I have seen it a few times, and I would see it again.

• Mar 01, 2019

Repulsion is the tale of a woman slowly giving in to her insanity. It’s billed as a Horror-Thriller, but aside from the bloodiness of certain things that happen I was not even slightly horrified or thrilled because the movie drags along at a pace that would make watching snail races seem exciting. It would be different if they were packing the first act with inciting incidents that set the main character down her dark road, but instead there’s at least 30 minutes showing the mundaneness of ordinary life. There is no catalyst shown, so the rest of the film is watching a psycho being crazy for no apparent reason. Catherine Deneuve has great dramatic expressions, but only speaks a handful of times so it’s hard to connect with the character in any way. This left me completely unsure whether we’re supposed to be empathizing with her, afraid of her, or pitying her. I just ended up being annoyed by her the whole time. The one thing I can compliment about Repulsion is the visual aesthetic. It looks amazing and they did some interesting things to create surreal images. But I was frustrated that they went a little overboard with the dreamlike visions that Deneuve is experiencing, and that made it hard for me to understand if things were actually happening. It took another character seeing the results of certain things before I even believed them, which made watching the film tedious. I feel like there is something that could work for me in this story, because I can get on board with a film about the steady decline of a person’s psyche. But Deneuve seemed unwell from the first frames of the film, so it’s just waiting for her to snap. And if there’s one thing that Repulsion does, it is make you wait. The 105 minutes of this film felt like hours and the conclusion lacked anything remotely satisfying. Needless to say, this can be added to the list of “horror” movies that flopped for me.

• Dec 24, 2018

Polanski's greatest film. And amazing movie about mental illness.

Polanski's greatest film. And amazing movie about mental illness.

• Oct 01, 2018

this film is more boring than even watching the paint dry !

this film is more boring than even watching the paint dry !

• Sep 21, 2018

This movie wasn't for me. I didn't find it claustrophobic or tense at all. Didn't find it scary or even spooky. It was very slow for most of the time. Considering it's incredible ratings, I'm likely in the minority.

• Sep 06, 2018

Yes, I have to admit that after 50 years the movie is still creepy and claustrophobic. The point is that I found the creepiness bothersome, more than entertaining.

• Jul 29, 2018

The use of nightmarish visual imagery for effect, and the reliance on the setting to illustrate Carol's mental state made me think that Repulsion is a film adaptation of one of Alfred Tennyson's poems directed by David Lynch! I'm not a fan of movies that rely so much on allegory. However, I loved Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive. But to be honest, I wasn't invested in these movies as much as I should. Nevertheless, I found Repulsion very engrossing, and I was deeply invested in the character of Carol. Polanski managed to evoke an atmosphere filled with dread and fear. but to make it more disturbing, he used another atmosphere that's quiet different and contradictory to the main one he used to depict Carol's paranoia. This contradictory atmosphere is actually very similar to the one that's used in french new wave films. Yes, it's already seems very weird and creepy! Almost every hallucination scene leaves you with a chill in the spine. Catherine Deneuve gave a very accurate, precise, and unsettling performance. Carol Ledoux could have been monotonous, and tedious due to her tepid nature. Instead, and thanks to Deneuve's captivating performance, Carol turned out to be so sympathetic and relatable that I felt for her. As for issues, I think the first act was longer than it should be, and the movie took a long time to reach the climax of its plot, but it was never boring, and built up tension very well. From the tracking shots to the use of the unsettling sounds, you can see that Repulsion has a big influence on Aronofsky, especially his most recent, and most controversial work, mother! Also, the closing shot of this movie must be up there with the closing shots of The 400 Blows, Fight Club, Inception, Seven Samurai, Stalker,..... As a matter of fact, Repulsion's final shot isn't just beautiful, profound, or thought-provoking, but it's very important and absolutely necessary to complete Carol's character arc. (9/10)

• Jun 29, 2018

Roman Polanski's 1965 masterpiece Repulsion holds up today as an eerily effective, chilling psychological horror bolstered by a quietly nuanced performance from Catherine Deneuve.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    May 09, 2018

This slow-burning psychological horror is quite disturbing and unsettling, more because of what it implies than what it actually shows as it delves into the fractured mind of a beautiful woman who cannot bear living - and being crushed - in a world where men are potential rapists.