R.I.P.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

R.I.P.D. Reviews

½ September 10, 2017
Who even thought this was a good idea?
½ August 21, 2017
7/10 Nice effects, some humour, overalll a simple and pleasant adventure. Not worth the low score here.
½ August 19, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, we re reviewing RIPD, or as I like to call it Men In Black 4 .

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Yes, RIPD ripd-off not one, but two movies. More on that later.

GREG: Our story begins with Boston cop Nick Walker (Ryan Reynolds) feeling guilty over some contraband he has stolen from his last collar. He and partner Bobby Hayes (Kevin Bacon) kept some gold pieces of what looks like a larger artifact. Nick tells Bobby that he s going to turn himself in and return the bootie. Bobby says he s OK with that, but on their next bust, Bobby kills Nick during a shootout.

SCOTT: Nick finds himself in conditional heaven. He is told that Judgement Day will be kinder to him if he returns to earth in an altered human form to round up the undead who are trying to take over the world. Nick is partnered with another deceased lawman from the old west by the name of Roy (Jeff Bridges). Together they use the threat of Indian food (yes, you read that correctly) to reveal which undead are posing as humans.

GREG: RIPD is a CGI-fest with lots of strange-looking creatures. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the creatures got their bizarre looks. The majority of the film is Roy and Nick driving around town in an old Lincoln Continental retiring bad souls to the netherworld. In this way, it looks a lot like Men in Black. We have the veteran lawman Roy showing the ropes to the new guy Nick. The parallels are almost uncanny.

SCOTT: As you ve said, Greg, RIPD is essentially Men in Black-lite, and once could also argue that its a derivative blending of MIB and the movie Ghost. RIPD even borrows characters from other movies. Most notably, Fat Bastard from Austin Powers makes a bizarre appearance, although in RIPD he dons sideburns and is called Fat Elvis. Jeff Bridges is a delight playing a deceased old lawman from the wild west, but Ryan Reynolds is truly boring in his role as a modern cop. Men in Black worked because you had two compelling and charismatic characters played by Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. In RIPD, Jeff Bridges delivers a rowdy, quirky performance as Roy, but Ryan Reynolds looks like he s sleepwalking through the movie. Reynolds doesn t say or do anything interesting, nor does he have any noteworthy quirks or mannerisms. He s just there , going through the motions, and the film suffers as a result.

GREG: There is a love interest for Nick in the form of Julia (Stephanie Szostak). Nick tries to communicate with her, but he doesn t look like himself. No, he looks like an elderly Asian man (played by veteran character actor James Hong). Which harkens back to when Patrick Swayze looked like Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. And the rip-off doesn t stop there. The main goal for our heroes is to thwart the building of a device (made of the gold pieces) which when complete will allow all the ghosts trapped in the afterlife to be returned to earth. Which is not much different than the point of Ghostbusters. Even with all these similarities, I enjoyed RIPD. It wasn t fresh, but Jeff Bridge s performance is spot-on. I never saw Bridges on the screen. I only saw Roy. So for a fun summer chase movie with at least one good performance, I give RIPD 3 out of 5 Reels. The hero story is a bit thin with Ryan Reynolds pretty much looking like himself from every movie he s ever been in. I give him 2 out of 5 heroes. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: RIPD is a formulaic retread of past movies but is also a fun romp as long as you re willing to turn your brain off and enjoy some silly-looking monsters go on a rampage in Boston. I would say that Jeff Bridges performance alone is reason enough to see this movie, but that s only true if you re absolutely pining for a poor man s version of Men in Black. I award RIPD 2 Reels out of 5. This is a buddy hero story, and I suppose amidst all the lunacy of chasing the undead you can find some character growth and transformation. But there s really little else about the heroic components of the film to commend it. Therefore, like you, Greg, I give the heroes 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:

GREG: It looks like we re basically agreed that RIPD should Rest In Peace.

SCOTT:
½ July 26, 2017
worst movie I've ever seen.
½ June 10, 2017
6/6/2017 (2): An excellent cast and good premise, but it was a miss. It felt like a knock off of MIB, and also felt thrown together in spots.
June 10, 2017
I don't even recall the plot.
June 9, 2017
We loved it. Was alot of fun to watch. If you liked Men in Black, you'll like this.
May 13, 2017
A great action flick, its an original premise, although some parallels with men-in-black it has too many differences to be compared directly. I really enjoyed Jeff Bridges character, and the whole concept of the world seeing them completely different to how they are was a good laugh. If you boil it down there are many movies that are alike, but if you approach this movie with the idea of wanting a bit of escapism and some laughs, then its quite good and does the job
½ April 29, 2017
Not as bad as I was expecting, but still nothing worthwhile. Bridges is a lot of fun, but Reynolds seems disinterested the whole movie.
March 25, 2017
hard to watch. the idea this two men look like womans for the rest of the world its not only stupid, its wrong. if they wanna have sex with humans, do they need to do it with their female bodies?
February 27, 2017
At least, it greatly inspired me to watch MIB again.
February 13, 2017
These viewers have poop taste this movie was as good a chicken tikia or vindaloo
February 4, 2017
When our sole responsibility and job is to provide peace in the world, in our homes and in ourselves. When serving and protecting to maintain peace is harder to do when those who rather prefer war. When we wish we could pause this peaceful moment like heaven forever but have to end when we again are called to serve the peace. When our new job and responsibility is to make sure even after death we are resting in peace as well others. When we are peaceful when we are truly ourselves and not hiding. When others are always warring when they prefer hiding and find no peace in themselves. When there is a hidden monster that is in people that makes peace better served when they are hidden and behind bars. When resting in peace is harder when your layered in beaucracy and have not much time before you can change it. When peace is harder when others don't see it like you do. When peace is harder to achieve when others have nothing to do when the task is impossible. When fighting for peace is harder with all the illusions in the world. When sometimes what people see as peace is conflicting even if it looks good to the naked eye. When we must now accept our fate and new life and make peace with this new life.
February 3, 2017
No Country for Old Men got a 93% on this site and that movie should have been titled "watching grass grow" and this movie gets a 13%? If you are a fan of Ryan Reynolds and/or Jeff Bridges or a fan of actual entertainment at all this movie really isn't that bad. I would say give it a shot.
January 9, 2017
Great action, enjoyable popcorn flick
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 19, 2016
Different time, different place. So you cannot actually compare RIPD with Men in Black. Oh, maybe you can and you will. In terms of budget, this obviously has the disadvantage, which is rather obvious. Jeff Bridges and Mary-Louise Parker, as charming as they may be, still can raise this to a higher level.
December 17, 2016
The Men In Black of afterlife. Good dose of adventure with a few jokes humor of the moment, but odd couple to be studied between mentor Bridges (guessed) and rookie Reynolds (even by train)
½ October 29, 2016
absolute garbage. How did Jeff Bridges get suckered into this? He's the only mildly entertaining thing about this movie. The jokes are really lazy and void of any real wit. The CGI is really bad and cartoonish. I really can't stress just how bad this movie looks. The whole movie felt like it was filmed in front of an obvious green screen. This is everything that's wrong with modern cinema. I just can't express just how terrible this movie truly is. The sad thing is is that Jeff Bridges doesn't need to make these kind of movies...Ryan Reynolds just needs to take what work he can get I guess. This makes the Green Lantern look like an Oscar winner.
September 23, 2016