Rugrats in Paris - The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rugrats in Paris - The Movie Reviews

September 9, 2017
The Rugrats are back but they are off to Paris they are silly as all ways it's a good movie
June 16, 2017
And here we are again with the inevitable sequel to the first average [i]Rugrats[/i] movie. This movie would see a dramatic shift in the series as new major characters were added that would carry on with further new series on TV. The main question yet again was, could this movie give us a better plot? Umm...well kinda, I guess, sorta.

So what is the most tried and trusted plot line for a kids movie (adaptation)? Well we saw that in the first movie. Through a set of unusual circumstances the kids get lost in the wilderness and have to fend for themselves while the parents have to find them. So whats the second most tried and trusted plot for a kids movie (adaptation)? Usually its the old change of location gimmick, in other words stick all the regular characters in another country and voila! An Instant flood of safe and easy ideas suddenly present themselves with the obvious cultural differences and of course a brand new look.

So for this new adventure the whole Pickles family (with the Finster's and DeVille's) are off to Euro Reptarland in Paris, France because Stu Pickles must fix the giant Reptar robot he built for the Yamaguchi company (parent company of the Reptar franchise). The head of Reptarland (a cold-hearted 'Cruella De Vil' type woman called Coco LaBouche) learns that Yamaguchi Industries president Mr. Yamaguchi is retiring and wants his replacement to be good with children as well as good at the job. So with some inside info from the naughty Angelica LaBouche sets her sights on Chas Finster.

The movie follows a few mini plots as LaBouche tries to seduce Chas in order to gain Mr. Yamaguchi's favour and his job. Spike the dog gets lost (because of course) and ends up running into a French poodle and falling in doggie love. Chas accidentally meets LaBouche's assistant Kira who has orders to help LaBouche win over Chas, but ultimately falls for him. And Tommy, Chuckie, Phil, Lil and Kimi (Kira's daughter) attempt to reach a Princess who, according to the Japanese Reptar origins, tamed Reptar. Said Princess is in fact an animatronic robot in the Reptarland amusement park. Chuckie believes the Princess would make an excellent mother for himself (in the [i]Rugrats[/i] world Chuckie's mother died of cancer just after he was born).

Right so lets get stuck in here. Its unfortunate that this movie hasn't really cleaned up its act from the previous movie. Instead of going back to the franchises roots so to speak, they have doubled down on everything they did wrong (in my opinion). For starters we have numerous hideous songs again, again with the cringeworthy songs...ugh! Why oh why did they do this?? The cartoon didn't have songs, it didn't need songs...why??? Secondly, yet again we have more forced modern pop culture references aplenty along with the obligatory R&B/hip-hop song over the end credits, because of course we do. Apparently every single damn kids movie needs an R&B/hip-hop song on the end credits.

Admittedly this movie does look quite sumptuous I'll give it that. Clearly a mark up on the original movie in terms of scope, detail and big bold vivid colours. Reptarland certainly does look wonderful with its blend of a typical amusement park (obviously a Disneyland Paris rip-off) with traditional Japanese stylings. That sounds odd I know but believe me its quite beautiful with all the pagodas, people in traditional Japanese attire, famous woodblock print art, giant Reptars etc...It really does make you wanna go to this park. Alas being a modern movie they couldn't help using CGI...a lot. Again its better and less obvious than the first movie but it still wrecks the whole artistic vibe if you ask me, it just doesn't fit in with these cartoons.

Things take a turn for worst again though unfortunately with the pointless and god awful [i]Lady and the Tramp[/i] rip-off subplot with Spike. Spike gets lost and roams the streets of Paris eventually coming across a French poodle...that just happens to be female of course. Naturally they fall in love and venture off together through Paris sampling its delights which eventually cumulates in the predictable eating of pizza in an alley. Oh and yes they do rip-off that very famous moment where to duo accidentally kiss whilst eating, oy! In the meantime because Kira and Kimi are Japanese, and Reptarland is in partnership with a Japanese company, everything the families do in Paris is Japanese influenced despite actually being in France. Nothing against Japanese culture, bloody love it! but it just felt kinda weird ya know. But I suppose that did mean we didn't have to suffer a tonne of stereotypical French cliches and tropes. Although the entire Reptar thing is of course a [i]Godzilla[/i] rip-off and you just know they had to include a kaiju face-off (Reptar vs Robosnail).

So in the end once again this movie is much like the first movie and gives us little imagination from the babies. Instead we get another reality driven plot which is merely in place to further the franchise for a new TV series, basically a lot of padding. In all honesty this could have been done in the cartoon series over an extended episode, something they have done many times before, there was really no need for a movie. So instead of something a bit more fanciful from the babies perspective (the whole original premise), its just a humdrum love story with too many mini plots and characters. Its definitely a bit more exciting than the first movie, definitely more gorgeous to look at and definitely has more movie star voice work, but its still lacking and just can't compete with the cartoon series.
½ April 13, 2017
This is one of my favorites from my childhood, and I don't understand the low audience rating. I've always loved Rugrats. It's one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows. I thought this was way better than the first. The animation really improved, the story is decent, and I felt so sorry for the main character, who is Chuckie in this case. I was so sad that he lost his mother at a young age and wanted another, especially during the flight scene with that sad song. The rest of the Rugrats gang is entertaining, and the villain is very enjoyable. I love the new character Kimi, and Kira is very nice. The film is fun, heartfelt, cute, and just an all around very good film. What I also like about it is that it teaches kids about certain tragedies in life and that it's important to move on, but keeping those important to you in your heart. The only issue I kind of had was that what Angelica did to Chuckie was a little overboard. We all know how mean she is to the babies, but ruining Chuckie's life by trying to get a horrible woman to marry his loving father was very wrong. Other than that, I love Rugrats In Paris. It's not one of the best animated films I've ever seen or anything, but I greatly enjoy it every time I watch it. I adored it as a kid and I'll love it for years to come.
April 3, 2017
Some of the funniest parts were over the kids' heads. Cute though.
½ March 22, 2017
Even though this is the best reviewed of the rugrats movies, I am not completely sure what to make of it. On the one hand there are some weird ideas and scenes (or at least I think so), but on another there are some really good moments, the voice acting is pretty good.....I'm just not totally sure what to make of it as a whole.
February 14, 2017
Colourful, sweet and funny. An improvement from the original.
½ January 15, 2017
The Rugrats are at it again! This time... they're going to Paris! Just think about what's in the movie. Averagely good in 2 words.
January 10, 2017
A dumb sequel that doesn't quite have as much charm as the first Rugrats movie had, but it is still fairly entertaining for fans of the original show. (First full viewing - 3/23/2010)
December 5, 2016
Touching story of needing that motherly love. Always loved good ole Chuckie and glad he was the focus of this little film with a major large and insanely silly ending.
November 26, 2016
Great fun movie!!! Brings back a lot of good memories from my childhood. Rugrats is one of the best!
October 29, 2016
Probably the only one that is good
½ August 21, 2016
Of all the Rugrats films this one is the most entertaining and full of good clean fun.
August 15, 2016
First, off before I give my input about the movie... I'd to point of somethings about the "movie info" that are inaccurate First,. Stu was the only one who got a phone call at 3 A.M from Kara to tell him that he needed to come to Paris on the next flight out to fix the malfunctioned, and headless Reptar. Chas wasn't apart of Stu creating the Robo Reptar at all, like it says in the movie info . "Chas and his father Stu (voice of Jack Riley) were hired to create a bevy of electronic critters ...". Maybe Chas helped as far as emotional support for Stu. but that is about it. Second,as far as I know Stu only made Reptar, not an army of crazy "electronic critters". Third, Chas certainly was not hired to assist Stu fix the screwy dinosaur either, like the info also states "So Stu and Chas are flown to Paris to do some repairs...". Chas is a Bureaucrat not a handyman like Stu. Chas and the rest of the Rugrats posse were just tag-a-longs...while Stu was sent to fix another one of his creations that went haywire. I am sorry, but if you're going to write about the movie, then please AT LEAST get the details right...Anyways, now on to my opinion of the movie. I grew up watching Rugrats, and being almost 29 (ugh I just reminded myself how old I really am!) it sure did spark alot of childhood memories. Also, I thought it was cute, and even laughed at a few scenes. I am glad to be able to share this childhood favorite with my three children, and it makes me feel good that they love Rugrats as much as I did. So, I think it is a must see if you were, and perhaps still are a Rugrats fan...One more thing...should I be a little concerned of my two year old gets a kick out of Angelica? Thanks for reading ...have a good day, or night.
July 22, 2016
Two Thumbs Up Roger Ebert And The Movies
½ June 22, 2016
I remember this as being annoying with awful godfather references.
June 16, 2016
Rugrats in Paris - The Movie isn't a bad movie. It is a pretty decent movie overall. You'll get to see your favorite babies back in action. I would suggest this movie.
½ June 14, 2016
There's a little bit of everything in this family fun film.
May 22, 2016
This is a little tiny bit better than the first movie, but it's a crappy movie.
½ March 9, 2016
Remembered next to nothing about this movie.