Runaway Bride Reviews

• Jul 04, 2020

The chemistry still works and the film is cute enough.

The chemistry still works and the film is cute enough.

• Sep 12, 2019

Even when they slow dance after being with the audience for a while, I didn't see any spark. Runaway Bride The director Gary Marshall, I think, didn't see this coming. And I know no one presumes the film to perform bad. But there is a certain level of expectations, a ballpark figure, a certain range that it would cover. This is a total disaster. And to be honest I can see what could be the birth of this idiosyncratic idea that it plants so proudly in this farm. But as I have always said an idea isn't everything. At least we can agree in this show business by now is that no idea is stupid. The depiction of a smart idea done poorly comes off stupid. And no matter how stupid an idea, if executed carefully, we have seen such films turn classic instantly, take MASH for example- the Donald Sutherland one. But if a stupid idea is project stupidly, it's a stupid film, in capitals; just as stupid as using this word these many times. Still I'd like to defend the film. And you can only do it with Julia Roberts, its finest asset colored totally lazy in the film. The film's actual odd and even contradicting nature comes because of her character and still there is a lot to explore there. That is of course, not to say that the storyline in any manner justifies the decisions of the film. But for a brief period, her character shows us something profoundly mirroring to what our society whips us with religiously. And when that note, which is either rushed on questionably or the makers were not aware of the magnitude of its brilliance, hits the screen there is a comforting realization and surprise in our face that a film of this genre usually does not offer us. Runaway Bride is still a forgettable date movie, I mean I can't even promisingly say that there is some chemistry.

• Aug 13, 2018

This movie was a kick! Best of all were the "small town" cast and hilarious one-liners. Rotten Tomatoes critics are crazy to pan this movie. And yes, there was great chemistry between Roberts and Gere. Took me years to see this flick, and I loved it.

• Jul 20, 2018

Julia Roberts can do no wrong, except when she is put in movies with Richard Gere. I will never understand his appeal.

• Nov 20, 2017

The movie was well written and very interesting to watch as well. Maggie, the main character has been searching for a romantic love, rather than the lust relationships she has mistaken for romantic ones. Just like many women, she has the ambition to get married. As a columnist, when Ike hears about this woman who continually abandons her fiance's at the alter, he is quick to search for her. With time the two end up falling in love and although they are not the traditional family, with two kids and a mother and a father, they still share a common love for each other as described in the relational dimension. Maggie's friends also act as family to her as well although there is no legal or biological tie. However, there is love between them as well as support for each other.

• Nov 10, 2017

Best movie of all timw

Best movie of all timw

• Oct 28, 2017

Cute film, but not for me. :-/

Cute film, but not for me. :-/

• Jun 14, 2017

Lots of fun; very sweet. Great to see Gere & Roberts together again!

Lots of fun; very sweet. Great to see Gere & Roberts together again!

• Feb 01, 2017

It's good movie to watch

It's good movie to watch

• Apr 19, 2016

Runaway Bride (1999): At the time, the buzz was this being the first movie of Richard Gere and Julia Roberts since Pretty Woman. The movie has a simple, amusing plot in which a reporter (Gere) is sent to write a story about a woman (Roberts) who has always leave the would-be groom at the altar and never actually marrying anyone. Of course, we know where this is going and the fun is seeing the banter and chemistry between the two leads as they slowly fall for each other. Reuniting with them is their Pretty Woman director, Garry Marshall, a seasoned pro whose always delivers. It is unfair to compare this movie with the first, because while similar-they do have their own unique styles. As a bonus: watch Pretty Woman followed by this one. It will turn any date night into a something special night.